It is currently April 27th, 2024, 9:23 pm

1976 21 Challenger

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 20th, 2013, 11:45 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

mitchie wrote:
idvette wrote:
Call me ignorant if you see fit, but how much of a difference is there between a challenger and a superboat?? I haven't spent any time comparing the two, but from 50 feet away they seem like very similar designs... There was a red and white challenger wih gold plated hardware for sale a few years ago, I passed it up for my vision, but have been thinking about It ever since, and have seen a few superboats on snf. Like I said, I haven't bothered to look closely, just wondering what or if there's a difference.

Identicle boats. John Coen bought a set of Challenger molds at an auction and voila... 21 super. The other set went with Linder and Luhrs to shadow, where they changed the deck and added the transom notch. That set was then sold to Intimidator. The boat you saw for sale was likely the Redline with the superboat stickers on it. Redlines are just one of probably 20 plus copies of the Linder Challenger. It is known by some on here... I believe I read that it needed attention. It was for sale about five years ago on another canadian boat website for really CHEAP with 3.0 merc power(much cheaper than on kijiji). I thought about it myself. If your vision is solid.... You made the right choice.

your like Wikipedia mitchie.... and i love it.

Build quality is always a concern with the copys but a original challenger is over 30 years old soooo most of them need work.. just like everything hydrostream. you can really get out of working on an old boat unless its already been done.

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: February 21st, 2013, 8:35 am   
Team Member

DoktorC wrote:
mitchie wrote:
Identicle boats. John Coen bought a set of Challenger molds at an auction and voila... 21 super. The other set went with Linder and Luhrs to shadow, where they changed the deck and added the transom notch. That set was then sold to Intimidator. The boat you saw for sale was likely the Redline with the superboat stickers on it. Redlines are just one of probably 20 plus copies of the Linder Challenger. It is known by some on here... I believe I read that it needed attention. It was for sale about five years ago on another canadian boat website for really CHEAP with 3.0 merc power(much cheaper than on kijiji). I thought about it myself. If your vision is solid.... You made the right choice.

I always wondered how the second set ended up at auction...and further to that why Rich bitches about the fact that someone bought them to make boats with..

maybe you should ask him, it's still Feb. and there's time to decipher his reply before boating season!

PostPosted: February 21st, 2013, 9:32 am   
HPBC PRESIDENT

SHIVERS wrote:
DoktorC wrote:
mitchie wrote:

I always wondered how the second set ended up at auction...and further to that why Rich bitches about the fact that someone bought them to make boats with..

maybe you should ask him, it's still Feb. and there's time to decipher his reply before boating season!

Whaaaat....are you talking about???

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: February 21st, 2013, 11:05 am   
Team Member

Probably because the auction did not result in profit for George.. I think the molds were junked or something and then somebody rescued them. But I am merely speculating.