It is currently March 28th, 2024, 9:16 am

'78 Hydrostream Vandal

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 30th, 2016, 9:58 pm   

I finally bought a HP boat! I've been shopping and fantisizing for a long time. It was 4 hours away, a complete package w/ boat motor('78 Johnson 70 hp no trim), and a good trailer. We found some odds and ends like oil, plugs, a prop etc. I payed 1800 which i think is OK......Its ugly though. Someone sprayed auto clear coat over what looks like the whole boat, and its flaking off. I believe the motor has lived its whole life on it. The transom has no cracking or flex. The pad has some chips and abuse.

I picked this hull because its small (14.5') and can handle a v6 if wanted. After reading testimonals about how well it handles and its capibility to run 90+mph I was stoked. Its one worth saving. It has all the things I wanted - It fits more then two adualts, under 16 ft, 60+mph capable, handles well, cool looking......the only thing it isnt is all ready fixed for a good price. I know if i want to hang a v6 on it i will have to do a full wood ripout. Im not sure where ill start. Probably with the deck and try to strip the clear off the rad red/black metal flake to see if it could be re-gelled. I will need some advice on how to fix the chips on the pad. It looks like rocky beach type damage, or maybe logs.

My dream for it is center steer/rear bench, a good sounding reliable v6 w/ foot throttle and wheel mounted trim, no windshield or maybe a custom full wrap around one, because the stock one is wierd. I will probably just use it with the 70 and work on the exterior hull and cosmetics for next season, but who knows how carried away ill get. If the cool metal flake cannot be saved i will just vinyl wrap it gloss white to get me by. Im pretty excited to finally own one. Im sure that will fade when im chipping out core and iching.

I tried really hard to post pics. I resized till it should work, but then it said the board has reached its limit.

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: October 31st, 2016, 5:24 pm   

PostPosted: October 31st, 2016, 5:25 pm   

PostPosted: October 31st, 2016, 5:30 pm   

The boat came from Florida to the Ottawa area approximatly 10 years ago. The coastguard tag is gone. Looks like it might have been lost when it was refinnish in the stunning clear job.

On closer inspection in daylight, the tires on the trailer are badly cracked. Im lucky I didnt have issues on the 4 hour tour.

PostPosted: October 31st, 2016, 5:39 pm   

sweet looking project..should be a fun ride with a v6 hanging off the transom.

19' tempest picklefork 84 mod vpcarb 102mph

PostPosted: October 31st, 2016, 6:30 pm   

That's a cool looking rig... I believe the original design came from Action Marine. I bet the lines are nice without a windshield at all.

PostPosted: October 31st, 2016, 6:56 pm   

Yeah, i dig it without the windshield from google pics i see. I think its going to be a great little boat for just burning around the lake.

Some owners say its a one the few hydrostreams without weird handling. Im just reading what people have posted. It seems this hull did well at roundy round type racing. Im not sure if it fits into any local classes for that, but im sure it would drag well with a v4, or v6.

Its not to rotten sounding, but i know it is. It was stored nose up, and plug out. I found it under ceder trees with flat tires. It was last ran summer of 2014.

Any advice on fixing the bottom chips? Anybody done a fix like that and have guidance? I was just going to grind them out and put gell coat in like a few interweb guides ive read. Has anybody done this on their back while boat is on the trailer? Or, do i absolutely need to de-rig and flip it over? I guess now is no better time if so.

PostPosted: October 31st, 2016, 8:35 pm   

Awesome project you picked up! Ive got a vandal tucked away for down the road, and have the same intentions with wanting a v6 on it after i get some seat time.
With fixing the bottom, you could try do it with the boat on the trailer but it will turn out much nicer if you flipped the boat and repaint the black

PostPosted: October 31st, 2016, 9:13 pm   

I think ill try some sort of marine putty and block it down. Then maybe cover the putty with gel, or paint for now.

Im kinda busy with racing offroad at this time in my life. I have a motor to swap into my truck and a new fuel sytem to fab up, plus more before i can get this in the shop. I need to have the truck ready to rip for next season before i can allow myself to get into the boat.

So, that means im really gonna push the truck along to have time for the boat work. How much time left will determine how much gets done. I want to enjoy the boat next summer, so i was thinking just some minor repair, and maintance for this winter.