It is currently April 27th, 2024, 7:59 pm

Matt’s 71 mph...49 OMC....Critchfield

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 28th, 2023, 9:32 am   
Team Member

Most in the TBoat race group currently race 56 cubic inch OMC powerheads either the Bridgeport or oval port. Matt was previously racing in T750 class with his delta/55 hp Yamaha. Matt purchased a critchfield from Top Gun Marine this year. Paul had been very successful racing that hull in T850 class first racing a Mercury 650XS and then switching to OMC 56 power. Matt had a fresh rebuilt 49 and decided to race it. Matt has continued to work on his boat setup and engine tuning into the fall. He has raised the top end speed from 65 mph to 71 mph. Performance wise this puts Matt with one of the fastest OMC 49 TBoats recorded with a GPS reading.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQwIlhp ... 9hdA%3D%3D

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: October 28th, 2023, 2:36 pm   

Don, it is *not a fresh rebuilt block - I've never had the power head apart. It tested 150psi when I bought it used, and still does - the cyl walls do not look mint, nor do they look terrible..

I bet it has a bit more in it - piston wash looks rich, and maybe a refresh of rings and hone would gain some power..

1980 Thundercraft v142 Restored

PostPosted: October 30th, 2023, 11:33 am   
Team Member

In Ontario races we saw the first OMC powered critchfield in 1987. I believe it was an American boat. In prior years our EP class winners were usually a 650XS/delta and a OMC/vixen.
The Voodoo’s first production year was 1987. We did see some competitive performances occasionally by Voodoo hulls in later years but the class was mostly dominated by critchfield hulls.
The critchfield in this 1987 race was likely the heaviest boat running because APBA had heavier EP class minimum weight compared to the CBF minimum EP weight. The American EP boats became less dominant in the following years once we saw much lighter critchfields, comp Voodoos and an Oasis Canadian hulls.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uugrMAl ... Nlcw%3D%3D