It is currently April 28th, 2024, 1:06 am

new guy 89 2.6l yamaha excel on a 71 16' super sidewinder

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 13th, 2012, 12:42 pm   

hello this spring i sold my 1975 40 hp jonson and springbok aluminum iv been running for 12 years,,i decided it was time too upgrade,,,may have went a little too far but hey few extra ponys cant hurt!!!!!!!!
... it all started when a buddy flopped an 88 baja x 15' in my drive way with an 85 hp merc,,,it was certantly an upgrade for the old 40 but wasnt the upgrade i had in mind (she wasnt pretty) so i went searching for "my new boat" and what i found was a 71 sidewinder 16ss that looked nice but needed alott the story i got was it sank then sat in a garage for a couple years the motor was seised ...perfect right up my alley i figured i could put my 85 on and go.....boy was i wrong... :? ....once i got her home and started pulling the old tower of power off i noticed alott of rott in the transom and there was no way it would hold my 85...so i started looking into how too replace a transom,,and noticed alott of guys with v6 power on this boat,,,sparked another intrest i figured i could do this, iv always wanted a fast boat but never thought it was for me i was happy floating aroung fishing,,then i started looking at 150 hp too 225 hp motors and stumbled uppon a 225 yamaha and the price was exactly what i had in my pocket that day..so i dove head first into ANOTHER PROJECT,,,so there i was with even bigger dreams,, a 225 in the box of my truck,, a sidewinder in need of a transom,,, i found a place to store my v6 untill i finnished the transom,,and so started the surjury,,,started cutting, grinding, hacking,the old transom out of my poor new boat:( learning every step of the way,,i wanted to be running for july 1st. i had a lott of work ahead of me but kept at it searching for advice from anyone who had some too give working on it as much as i could reserching materials and just going nuts learning about boats,,and how too repair them,, i could of done thigs alott diferent in the end,,, but that just gives me a reason too finnish this one and start another, really would of liked to use comosite matierials,,,,i cant belive im thinking of the next boat,,i was happy for 12 years with the same old boat and had no intention of replaceing it untill it wore out(her new owner is happy with her)) i waited 12 years for that day and it never happened,,now i cant stop thinking about the next boat,,,transom is in v6 is on i'v had it out a couple times i missed my target for july 1st but made it for july 8th,,,she still need some buggs worked out but i am happy with what i did this summer and dont regret one second of it,,,i cant wait to talk too members of this forum about "boats my new love" i wish i had more photos to show the build..........sorry about grammer/spelling, any tips advice or comments please.

19' tempest picklefork 84 mod vpcarb 102mph

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: August 13th, 2012, 12:46 pm   

PostPosted: August 13th, 2012, 12:48 pm   

PostPosted: August 13th, 2012, 2:26 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

Welcome to the site !

sounds like you had to do quite a rebuild!

PostPosted: August 13th, 2012, 2:39 pm   

yes it was quite the build,, i would of like it too be a 100% restor but the floor and seats werent in bad shape so i did the transom added some braces and we'll see how she lasts,,,i was planning on resoring it again when the time comes but am already looking at seabolds stvs and hydrostreams i think one of those would be a better fit for my 225...i have an 85 i could put on the winder if i ever decide to sell or fall inlove with another boat but for now she's my girl :D ......winter is around the corner so i can tstart another boat project,,,i still have the baja to find a new home for..

PostPosted: August 13th, 2012, 2:44 pm   

i need too learn how too paint :lol: ,,, a little sanding,, some candy paint touchups,,, and a few coats of gel and she would really shine,,, :D

PostPosted: August 13th, 2012, 5:45 pm   
Team Member

Welcome aboard! There are lots of Yamaha guys here as well if you have questions about your motor.

Charger 18 DL, 2.6L Yamaha

PostPosted: August 15th, 2012, 11:39 am   

dubber wrote:
Welcome aboard! There are lots of Yamaha guys here as well if you have questions about your motor.

thanks i havent had a chance too work on her the last week, im waiting for some nicer wether,,,,,,, she runs good at low speeds 45-50mph 4000rpm or so,,, but when i hit wot and try to stretch out her leggs i climb quickly too 4800rpm 62 mph then hold there for 30 seconds and then cutts out (sounds like its running out of gas)) untill i slow right down,,,then i can go back too cruising....im going too clean the carbs and check the gas lines and tank for blockage...ill let you know if that helps....and if i need more advice i know where too turn,, thank you...

PostPosted: August 15th, 2012, 2:40 pm   
Team Member

nice boat! I would check and probably replace the primer bulb in the fuel line, make sure you use a oem 3/8" bulb, merc, omc, etc, check the line to see if its soft too, if so replace with a good ethanol resistant line too. checking the carbs on a used motor is a great idea. the origional pumps on the early yamaha's were not supposed to have stainless internal parts, apparantly this caused some problems with the pump gas available now, I replaced both the pumps on my excell just to be safe. I would also remove the inlet from the fuel cell and see if its clear and if it still has the anti siphon valve in place(1"spring and ball insite inlet fitting) if so tale a 1/4" punch and knock it out. make sure the inlet pipe is not pressed right against the bottom of the tank too. I know this is an expence, but the 25" mid will not work with that boat, you will need the propshaft at least 3" below the bottom of the hull or higher to get any high speed handling, dual cable steering with the slack adjusted out is also a must. if it were mine I would also install solid mounts.That is the most power I have seen on one of those! very cool.Also make sure you install a water pressure guage, eith but the yamaha kit, or if tour using an aftermarket guage , you need the yamaha adaptor.btw , these motors have a knock sensor that retards the timing, you need to run super fuel all the time, it won't hurt the motor, but it will run like sh*t on regular.

Steve

PostPosted: August 15th, 2012, 5:30 pm   

thanks for the reply ,,great advise ,,i am looking for a 20" mid section, but iv already spent all i can afford on her for now so im just trying to get her running good and learn about the motor for now,,,,i dont have a fuel cell, iv just been useing a plastic tank ,it has a new line and bulb,and it does seem a litle restrictive and has a hard time venting im sure that is a huge problem i will address before my next test,i also deleted the fuel hookup on the motor (it seemed restrictive), i had the carbs appart they are spotless,, iv been running 91 sunoco gas in it. and amsoil hp,,(iv heard about the knock sensor and experienced the regular gas retardation lol bala general store sold me regular and told me it was 91 octain with no ethonol but it was noting but regular 87 octain motor ran like crap i really thought i did damage but i threw some 91 in it and ran good again..). im looking for dual cables used or cheap or even free would be nice ;) i'v replaced the impeller and the water pickup,,...im going to get a fuel pump rebild kit see if that helps...and will have to get a water pressure guage for it,, damn long list i have now.... :( i need too find some work :roll: