It is currently May 2nd, 2024, 5:46 pm

Adrenaline

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: September 16th, 2013, 9:37 pm   

[quote="beavertonae-21"]that was supposed to be the sea trials boat, they say it went 89 mph. Maybe they all just get heavier with age. Or it was like the sled test back then and they all cheated and the boats where all light lay ups .
Well...I know a thing or two about that boat in the pic.... It was one of (if not the) first one's that Jim Tucker built. That's the man himself in the passenger seat. It WAS light, at least I know the deck was pretty thin. That Excell on the back had a Bob's cone and was exhaust relieved. I radared that boat (lol no gps than) in about 1994, a buddy owned it and it was ran hard and put away wet more than once. With a stock 28" merc chopper it ran 85 mph on the money. Keep in mind, it had probably gained weight by than...I know there was some empty's rolling around in the back for sure along with who know's what else. :lol: As well the driver was all of maybe 20 at the time and only had so much experience stringing it right out... it only had 6" of set back if I remember too, just a CMC hydraulic plate. I can see it running 89 when it was new and fresh, under ideal conditions, with an experienced driver at the helm.

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: September 16th, 2013, 9:43 pm   
Team Member

very interesting, we have to talk.

Steve

PostPosted: September 16th, 2013, 10:35 pm   

beavertonae-21 wrote:
very interesting, we have to talk.

Steve

Anytime, pm sent.

PostPosted: October 2nd, 2013, 2:45 pm   
Team Member

When I put the ae to bed last saturday, I noticed that I have a small amount of flex in the transome,(1/16" at the top, no stress cracks yet) upon further inspection, i realized the new transome knees the prevous owner had installed to not even touch the transome, they are about 1/2" away and attached with a layer of fibreglass cloth, I am amazed the transome has not cracked, especially on the runs I had 14" of setback this summer. Going to talk with Murph and hopefully get up north this friday and get the fuel tank and rest of the crap out of the rear of the boat and have a good look at it this saturday. Right now the big question is wether or not I will have to remove the top half of the hull or not :cry: at least it will make replacing the bow eye an easy job :lol: I have to laugh, not too much else to do at this point.

Steve

PostPosted: October 2nd, 2013, 3:02 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

thats not good !! hope fully you get her figured out.

PostPosted: October 2nd, 2013, 4:02 pm   

thats a bummer steve, hopefully you caught it in time and can replace the knees and stick everything back together.. throw a dehumidifier in it while its waiting, might pick up a couple mph ;)

19' tempest picklefork 84 mod vpcarb 102mph

PostPosted: October 2nd, 2013, 4:25 pm   

That's a shame, sounds to me like you caught it early enough. If there's no stress cracks in the glass on the inside either, IMO take the old knees out and throw some new ones in and it'll be solid once again.

PostPosted: October 2nd, 2013, 5:17 pm   
Team Member

Sounds like there might be a few rebuilds this winter!!

PostPosted: October 2nd, 2013, 5:19 pm   

thats the way it sounds, though mine wont be. too much stuff in the garage to fit it in lol :lol:

PostPosted: October 20th, 2014, 8:20 pm   
Team Member

The AE is away for the season, short but great season this year, and with the rebuilt transome and floor its solid as new, and then some. Over the winter I'm going to add a 11" wide by1" deep ( 1/2" narrower at each side than the origional centre sponson bottom) from the midway air break in the centre sponson to the rear of the hull. Dave (Motoboat) did this to his 20" Stoker he had years ago with great results and it should be interesting to see how the AE airs out with this modd in the spring. I will post pics when I start on it in the spring.

Steve