It is currently April 28th, 2024, 1:10 am

My GOOD old days..the 1960's CHECKMATES

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 9th, 2012, 12:18 am   
Team Member

Here is a post showing the early model Checkmates. I got my first one in 1966. It was a 16 footer. Ran it initially with a 125 hp short and then with a 1250BP. In 1968 Checkmate built me a super light 13 foot which I raced with a Mercury 50 hp.
Notice NO PAD! Their hulls were very will built. The 19 with a V6 on it is still a very fast boat. The 14 was not very good performance wise. The later 15 footer up to 1973 was a very fast boat.

http://www.screamandfly.com/showthread. ... -brochures

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: December 9th, 2012, 3:42 pm   

Yeah I remember John Beer had a very fast 19 :) Any idea where that boat is now Don?

Profile Send private message WWW  
 PostPosted: December 9th, 2012, 6:13 pm   
Team Member

AnthonySS wrote:
Yeah I remember John Beer had a very fast 19 :) Any idea where that boat is now Don?

Your talking about the red one. That boat was originally Jerry's. When John died I believe that boat and a lot of the equipment from the Prop Shop went out west with the fellow that came in to finish off the props that were in process.

PostPosted: December 9th, 2012, 7:25 pm   

I Thought it was Black?

Profile Send private message WWW  
 PostPosted: December 9th, 2012, 11:12 pm   
Team Member

AnthonySS wrote:
I Thought it was Black?

Red with the black fog

PostPosted: December 11th, 2012, 8:33 pm   

Hounddog wrote:
Here is a post showing the early model Checkmates. I got my first one in 1966. It was a 16 footer. Ran it initially with a 125 hp short and then with a 1250BP. In 1968 Checkmate built me a super light 13 foot which I raced with a Mercury 50 hp.
Notice NO PAD! Their hulls were very will built. The 19 with a V6 on it is still a very fast boat. The 14 was not very good performance wise. The later 15 footer up to 1973 was a very fast boat.

http://www.screamandfly.com/showthread. ... -brochures

So the old MX-15 I picked up this fall has potential.It does have a pad.

PostPosted: December 11th, 2012, 9:13 pm   
Team Member

CVX20 wrote:

You bet! If it is the early model MX-15 up to 1973, that boat is great! It is much narrower that the later model. Checkmate had a fire in 1973 and those molds were lost. I had a red one on order at the time and my boat was never built. They had 3 boats in stock, none of them race hulls and all the same colour. PINK!! with a cream interior. I took one of them. Since it was a normally boat I switched from a short shaft 150 to a long. I totally lucked out on the long shaft and got one of the special powerheads not a J block but the real rare one and they only had them on a few long shafts.. I didn't know it at the time until I ran the motor. I had a lot of experience with BP race motors on Checkmates and this one was far nicer to drive than any of them. No flat spots, super smooth all the way to 7300 rpm. Which for a 99.9 cu. inch inline was very good rpm for those days. This hull doesn't fly or float. It darts on you. With big power you need to be sharp all the time.

PostPosted: December 11th, 2012, 9:50 pm   

Hounddog wrote:
CVX20 wrote:

You bet! If it is the early model MX-15 up to 1973, that boat is great! It is much narrower that the later model. Checkmate had a fire in 1973 and those molds were lost. I had a red one on order at the time and my boat was never built. They had 3 boats in stock, none of them race hulls and all the same colour. PINK!! with a cream interior. I took one of them. Since it was a normally boat I switched from a short shaft 150 to a long. I totally lucked out on the long shaft and got one of the special powerheads not a J block but the real rare one and they only had them on a few long shafts.. I didn't know it at the time until I ran the motor. I had a lot of experience with BP race motors on Checkmates and this one was far nicer to drive than any of them. No flat spots, super smooth all the way to 7300 rpm. Which for a 99.9 cu. inch inline was very good rpm for those days. This hull doesn't fly or float. It darts on you. With big power you need to be sharp all the time.

It's a 72.I got an 73 1500 that is not enough power for my other boat that I was thinking about hanging on it.Nothing special,just an old motor that runs pretty decent.I got it from a guy I work with and he had a 115 Rude on it.Gotta do a bit of work to the boat first,but it should be fun.

PostPosted: December 11th, 2012, 10:00 pm   
Team Member

CVX20 wrote:
Hounddog wrote:
CVX20 wrote:

It's a 72.I got an 73 1500 that is not enough power for my other boat that I was thinking about hanging on it.Nothing special,just an old motor that runs pretty decent.I got it from a guy I work with and he had a 115 Rude on it.Gotta do a bit of work to the boat first,but it should be fun.

We want pics! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: December 11th, 2012, 11:10 pm   

Just the way it was when it got dropped off.No place to do anything to it over the winter either.