It is currently April 23rd, 2024, 1:25 pm

Is it worth rebuilding a 4 cylinder 4 stroke??

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 29th, 2016, 9:37 am   
Team Member

I was one of the first racers up here to race a Tohatsu in 1992. The kidding I took because of that motor was upsetting. Locals were brainwashed to think that OMC and Mercury were major players on the world stage in outboard motor sales compared to Yamaha and Tohatsu. With the knowledge that these and other Japan companies had in R and D they could build motors that would dominate outboard racing just as they dominate motorcycle racing. Later when I got my 70ces 6J2Yamaha I had a chance to communicate with the head fellow in Japan who was in charge of the Program. At that time early 1990's they thought about building a stronger 70ces motor. They decided to just make some add on replacement parts to make it slightly better than the OMC Formula E.
If?? By chance there is an easy mount smaller motorcycle or other 4 stroke motor, I am sure the overseas racers will put it together.

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: April 30th, 2016, 9:51 am   
Team Member

Jeremy dunn race a tohatsu in 1991 in ep class, they were shit. Lapped him twice in 1 heat

Profile Send private message WWW  
 PostPosted: April 30th, 2016, 7:06 pm   
Team Member

TopGun wrote:
Jeremy dunn race a tohatsu in 1991 in ep class, they were shit. Lapped him twice in 1 heat

Yes, you did. In the same race weekend Jeremy beat Herb White's 650XS and a couple of OMC's. Not too bad for a 50 hp motor on a heavy 14 foot celled boat. Tohatsu has the current records in Sport C. Formula 50, Thunder Cat, GT30, T550, T750 and they do well in DSH. Not bad for a company that does not make race motors. They also are the leading manufacturer for small outboards and many outboard manufacturers rebrand their motors as their own. Paul you had a super fast EP boat that year and you made the others look slow. The Tohatsu was under powered for an EP class hull. I have watched those races many times, especially the ones where Jeremy raced the 50 Tohatsu. I can't figure out how it was as fast as it was. Even the slow EP's ran 60 mph back then. He could hold his own with them. The Oasis we run in T750 runs a 50 Tohatsu on a lighter, faster hull. Weight makes a big difference with our boat and we could not beat Jeremy if he raced us. The current T750 kilo world record is over 66 mph. Held by a 50 hp Tohatsu. Last year I asked Thom to ask Ole if he could find me one of those top running 50 Tohatsu motors. There were not any out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=db2SE1BcBF0

Profile Send private message