It is currently May 4th, 2024, 4:13 pm

ARE YOU SMARTER THAN THE DESIGNERS WHO BUILT THE MOTOR?

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 12th, 2013, 8:13 am   
Team Member

This question could be asked to anyone who is making modifications to their powerhead in hopes of gaining more power. Most times the result is the opposite to what you hoped for and you spend a lot of money for nothing. Also, beware of on line experts who say they can make more power, but if you check their history there is no proof they have done anything.
People who build mod motors will tell you it is a trial and error learning process with lots of failures. Even people like Brendan Power still blow up lots of stuff. Teddy the same story. Talk is cheap. RESULTS COST MONEY!

We have lots of people personalizing their T motors. It is part of the fun of the class.
Remember a couple of things.
[1] if you mod part of it. That mod can affect other parts of the motor.
[2] the people that built the SST 60 could have ported it any way they wanted to and used any head they wanted. They chose that combination for a reason.

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: April 12th, 2013, 8:25 am   
HPBC PRESIDENT

It would be no fun if Poeple didn't bench race... Back in my motocross days we were rebuilding weekly.. To get the most out of the 250 four strokes. Hell I would even put brand new tires on before head out. Any advantage was an advantage.

Secretly plotting against your buddy as you secretly port your motor.... That's why the sport stays strong.

PostPosted: April 12th, 2013, 10:12 am   

yes i do........ :lol: there is always room for improvement the designers who build those motors im sure have taken them alott further up in the power range with there R&D motors,however it does take years,and deep pockets,and a wealth of knowlage,and boat load of theory, not saying you cant bump a couple hp's you have time and power heads, good technical advice, there is no reason you shouldnt be able to bump the power on one,, you might go thru 10 power heads finding the right setup, dont expect to beat your buddys by taking a die grinder to your power head first try,,,, it could take years and more $$$$ than you want to admitt,, to end up with a turd 90% of the time..

i'v never modded an outboard ,, but i have a 500 indy that will beat any stock 500 indy in 100m.,,,,corner to corner.....it took me 4 motors to get this far,, i have another block with a different ports cut, (closer to stock then the last one,) and i want to try cutting the pistons, when this one pops,,, its been together 3 years now... i think i have around $5000 into this $500 sled, and it is a turd,,, first 3 motors were slower than stock,, by far..now its a little faster than stock 10 years later, way to late for the races lol

and i wouldn't dream about touching a newer sled/outboard, to try and mod,, you absolutely need to pay someone for the new technology,,, do it yourselfers cant keep up :x

19' tempest picklefork 84 mod vpcarb 102mph

PostPosted: April 12th, 2013, 10:23 am   
HPBC PRESIDENT

I always get a kick out of this type of idea...because Yes..the dude designing the motor obviously has his shit together...but...then they run into the bean counters, the kid in Peterborough that failed high school and now slaps 3 cylinders together at OMC, and the EPA. So, while I doubt I'm smarter than the actual designer of my motor (or even the robot that put mine together...thank you Yamaha) I don't have to operate within the constraints that he had to. My motor doesn't have to live for 2000 hours on the back of an east coast lobster boat running on a mixture of sea water, 82 octane and skreech...

Everything I own is MUCH faster than stock......

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: April 12th, 2013, 10:24 am   
Team Member

I agree if you change 1 thing it affects at least 3 other things, but an engine, no matter what size or design is basically an air pump. (I'm talking internal combustion) the more efficiently you can get air to move through the engine the better it will produce power.

PostPosted: April 12th, 2013, 11:18 am   
HPBC PRESIDENT

Hounddog wrote:
Talk is cheap. RESULTS COST MONEY!

I'm going to disagree with you here...Results take TIME....if you choose to pay people to do your testing or work than yes it takes money...but most of the guys here are DIY guys and therefore TIME is what you need. I don't think you'll find too many full blown race motors in the class...especially with the 160lb rule.

I've had my hand in racing for quite some time now and we've always operated on a VERY small budget. 3bilgepumps (and me as the sled cleaner) was at the top of the heap in the world of snowmobile drag racing and we did all the work ourselves...there were MANY 3am nights and test sessions in the dark (on sleds with no headlights)....TIME....it took time....and someone (me) to say it couldn't be done lol.

I'm not the fastest T-boat by a LONG shot but I enjoy the tinkering as much as the racing...and if I go slower or faster I win the same trophey lol. It's still the most fun I've had in a boat and politics still kills racing.... ;)

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: April 12th, 2013, 11:33 am   

DoktorC wrote:
I always get a kick out of this type of idea...because Yes..the dude designing the motor obviously has his shit together...but...then they run into the bean counters, the kid in Peterborough that failed high school and now slaps 3 cylinders together at OMC, and the EPA. So, while I doubt I'm smarter than the actual designer of my motor (or even the robot that put mine together...thank you Yamaha) I don't have to operate within the constraints that he had to. My motor doesn't have to live for 2000 hours on the back of an east coast lobster boat running on a mixture of sea water, 82 octane and skreech...

x2

19' tempest picklefork 84 mod vpcarb 102mph

PostPosted: April 12th, 2013, 12:05 pm   
Team Member

Quit pickin' on screech, It's the last thing you'l taste with that mixture.

PostPosted: April 12th, 2013, 12:08 pm   
Team Member

I am, if you look at the 650 xs the way it came from merc it was a piece of shit so many flaws!!!
The rating was 90hp at 7000rpm .The one I raced 1991 made 107 hp at 8100rpm all by just fixing all the problems with the design of the motor. It would idle all day,come the dock fast , mid range and topend

Profile Send private message WWW  
 PostPosted: April 12th, 2013, 2:04 pm   
Team Member

if your building a race motor,it has to last long enough to finish the race or day of racing! If it lasts any longer you've missed some power that was available!