It is currently May 4th, 2024, 8:02 pm

What Prop to Try Next?

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 30th, 2013, 12:06 pm   
Team Member

Alright gents, I know alot of you know WAY more about this than I do. I am running a completely rebuilt and VERY strong 1980 Johnson 115 on my fully restored 1980 GT150. I am running the motor on the 3rd hole (one from the top) which is as far as I can go and still be able to just switch props and pull double duty.

I currently have a standard 19p aluminium prop, a 21p stainless Ballistic and a 23p Teflon coated, stainless SRX.

Generally I use the aluminum heading to the beach, the Ballistic all around cruiser, and the SRX is my weeknight speed prop.

The issue I have is that the SRX is AWESOME (no chine walk, little torque steer and fantastic acceleration), except that I am not getting anywhere near my max RPM. The Ballistic is pretty good, but I get much better overall lift with the SRX, whereas the Ballistic just flies the nose. I use the boat to pull the toys, and have no issue switching props, but...given the numbers.....where would you guys go next for a top speed prop to try that will run up my RPMs since I don't think a 21p SRX exists? Like I said, moving the motor up another hole is not an option for several handling and hull design reasons.

13x19 - A lu 5600 rpm 47 mph
13x19 - A lu 5600 rpm 48.5 mph
13x19 - A lu 5700 rpm 49.6 mph
13x21 - BalSS 5400 rpm 50.3 mph
13x21 - BalSS 5400 rpm 50.7 mph
13x21 - BalSS 5600 rpm 51.8 mph
13x21 - BalSS 5700 rpm 52.2 mph - raised motor up to 3rd hole
13x23 - SST SRX 5300 rpm 54.8 mph

T750 Boat #49 - Crew
2013, 2014, 2015 and 2017 High Points Champion

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: April 30th, 2013, 2:42 pm   
Team Member

Maybe a Raker would be worth a try? ... with those speeds, you should be a close race with your brothers T750 boat! ;)

PostPosted: April 30th, 2013, 3:12 pm   
Team Member

WalkWithMax wrote:
Maybe a Raker would be worth a try? ... with those speeds, you should be a close race with your brothers T750 boat! ;)

lol i think he is looking forward to racing me as he is very sick of being passed by my hydrostream like hes in revese :lol:
i will or he will have to read raker vs srx the difference? ,
the boat sits up real nice with the srx, i was suprised, i have wondered about trying to get him that last hole somehow to gain a little rpm or work his prop or by a beat srx and work it even make a 22 but thats gets costly vs buying one to try? or put my t boat prop on! :shock:

oh Dave hes my cousin

#49 Triple C Racing
T750 Delta/ omc

PostPosted: May 1st, 2013, 9:28 am   
Team Member

tunnelv wrote:
WalkWithMax wrote:

lol i think he is looking forward to racing me as he is very sick of being passed by my hydrostream like hes in revese :lol:
i will or he will have to read raker vs srx the difference? ,
the boat sits up real nice with the srx, i was suprised, i have wondered about trying to get him that last hole somehow to gain a little rpm or work his prop or by a beat srx and work it even make a 22 but thats gets costly vs buying one to try? or put my t boat prop on! :shock:

oh Dave hes my cousin

Oh right! Cousins!! ... just like those Cole brothers! Lol! This summer should be fun for you guys! :)

PostPosted: May 1st, 2013, 12:26 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

WalkWithMax wrote:
oh Dave hes my cousin

Oh right! Cousins!! ... just like those Cole brothers! Lol! This summer should be fun for you guys! :)[/quote]

We have cousins and brothers on here....what about the Watsons??

Honker you're cruisin' for the power you have. Can you get it up another hole and still get water?

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: May 1st, 2013, 12:56 pm   
Team Member

Nice boat! the SRX is basically a over hub Raker, should be great for that hull, I would suggest a hydrallic 6" jackplate(4" if you dont want to add much setback) getting the motor up higher will give you better handling and more speed/ rpm. you can also plug the top water inlet hole on either side of your lower unit(you have four) with either epoxy or silicone, I did my 225 looper with epoxy and be able to lift the motor higher without worring about water pressure. BTW , if you dont already have a water pressure guage, install on , its a great idea to have one on any outboard .

Steve

PostPosted: May 1st, 2013, 5:39 pm   
Team Member

DoktorC wrote:
WalkWithMax wrote:
oh Dave hes my cousin

Oh right! Cousins!! ... just like those Cole brothers! Lol! This summer should be fun for you guys! :)

We have cousins and brothers on here....what about the Watsons??

[/quote]

Don't forget the father / son combos of DougW & Talonkid and Hydroid & Hydroid Jr. This just keeps going!

Charger 18 DL, 2.6L Yamaha

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2013, 8:39 am   
Team Member

Thanks guys. A bit more info. I have been told from several knowledgeable sources on the Glastron site that these hulls hate setback in any form and start to porpoise bad as soon as you put a jackplate on them. I have though about trying one anyways, since it would give me much more control of the height, and would be far easier to adjust. Problem is that my current 1 cable steering setup won't allow me to go any further up or back due to the limited range of the splashwell mount for the cable. So...if I was to go the jackplate route then I am into a whole pile of work and might end up finding out that it does actually porpoise so bad that it was all for nothing! With the design of the splashwell on these hulls, going to a hydraulic steering setup means I have to either a) go with at least 4 inches of setback or b) drill a hole in the other side of the splashwell to accomodate the steering arms.

I guess at some point I am going to just have to be happy with what it is, or buy a hydrostream!

T750 Boat #49 - Crew
2013, 2014, 2015 and 2017 High Points Champion

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2013, 8:52 am   
Team Member

Get the motor up on the top hole and try it. Sounds like you have it working pretty well already.

Steve