It is currently May 3rd, 2024, 4:40 pm

Killer T Class ETEC’s…40-50 & 60 HP Models

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 8th, 2014, 4:25 pm   
Team Member

I have been doing some web research and also getting feedback from other T Guys about these motors.
There is a lot of information on the web.
I wonder what is ACTUALLY true.
We need an OMC guy to jump in and provide the T Group with the TRUE facts about these motors.

Here are some of the areas I am concerned about.
[1] Are the 40-50 and 60 models the same block?
[2] Will the 60 power head fit on the 40 hp which has a smaller gear case?
[3] Is the 60 hp model actually 68 hp at the prop shaft?

Horsepower size motor to motor especially compared to the 4 strokes; these ETECS appear to
have better performance. Are the horsepower ratings set low?

The only actual boat test I have got was a 50 ETEC on a VooDoo. Without a race set up.
It was a low 50 mph boat. With a proper set up, this would be a very competitive T750 boat.

The 60 hp would be killer in T750!

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: April 8th, 2014, 5:01 pm   
Team Member

If only more of em were on 6mile. Then we would know for sure how they worked!

PostPosted: April 8th, 2014, 5:03 pm   

The voodoo with the etec was mine. I originally used a Sea doo to test the speed. getting around 52. I later tried with a proper gps unit and was getting 48. But those who have seen this boat know that its not set up to race at all. Lots of extra weight in it including myself lol. Im sure if we lost some weight in the boat and played with the setup it would be a low to mid 50 mph boat. I have since replaced the etec with a 56ci. I still have the motor and it is for sale. If anyone is interested.

Six Mile Lake

PostPosted: April 8th, 2014, 7:20 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

That sounds on par with other 50's, no? My brothers original delta ran 51-52 with a pro50 and similar lack of setup...but super lean on oil lol.

I'm surprised no one has tried a P50...it seems to work well for the Tcat guys and has a pretty good history in sport c. Though that 60ebomb would be pretty stout if it is 60+hp (like the merc60...but way less weight).

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: April 8th, 2014, 7:38 pm   
Drag Racing Sponsor

Is the 40hp actually a smaller gearcase than the 60? Looks the same in the pictures on the evinrude website. Same cubic inch too

19' Laser 380 Ray (Future Project)

PostPosted: April 8th, 2014, 8:21 pm   
Team Member

i think the 40 to 60 is the same block,i also think they are the same gearcase,same ratio online they are only avaliable in a 20 inch, 240 pounds, now Reinhard may know but i think you need a 1000 cca battery to run them,which is another 40plus pounds,i looked into one but they are alot of $ which i dont have lol.it would be neat to try.
you could get a race ready 15inch tohatsu for the same money is my guess. and Doc were waiting for you to show us up with the pro 50

#49 Triple C Racing
T750 Delta/ omc

PostPosted: April 8th, 2014, 8:50 pm   

All three motors are identical. The blocks, gear case, etc. The HP is manipulated through the ecu program. I've been told by the dealer that these motors are capable of making 80 HP. The block is actually the same 2 cyl block that has been used for years but with direct injection. Have also heard that the 60 has a water tuned pipe, have not confirmed that with the dealer though. Guys that I know that have gone from the omc 70 to the etec 60 are about 2 mph slower now. I had a 2006 50 hp etec on a 16' Crestliner and got 46.4 mph on gps. That outfit weighed 840 lbs with me in it and 125 to help keep the front end down on takeoff. There was still more to be had if the motor was jacked up higher. That speed was attained with a 21" pitch wheel. I've never seen a motor with this much torque and power on the top end. There is nothing even close to it and I've had mercs before. Very impressed. This motor has its quirks though. Have to use a high output battery for the ecu to work properly. Make sure to use a proper filter system between the tank and motor. Do not let these motors sit around long without using them. The ethanol fuel is a big killer. If anyone needs injectors clean for one check out the fuelinjectorman.com all the injectors no matter what the hp are the same for all etecs. New injectors are 400 each cleaning your existing ones is $44. This is the only company in north america that properly services etec injectors. They are located in Florida.

PostPosted: April 8th, 2014, 9:01 pm   

Obviously my fishing boat is not a race boat but it gives everyone an idea of what these engines are capable of. Have also heard there is not much top end difference between the three motors. The difference is in the acceleration getting to topend speed. There is also a 65 commercial engine based on the same block and BRP just released the 60 etec pontoon engine which has a different gear ratio than the pleasure 60 etc.

PostPosted: April 8th, 2014, 10:57 pm   
Team Member

Just to summarize the comments:
The 3 motors are basically the same.
They are all big gear cases. All are long shafts.
They have lots of low end and mid range power. They can push heavy loads at good speeds.
They need a high output battery.
The 60 hp performance is a little less than a 70 hp two stroke.
A 60 hp ETEC on a VooDoo would easily run mid 50's with lots of acceleration.
They are costly to buy and require good regular maintenance.
With mods to the engine program more horsepower is possible, but so far know one has been able to change the programs.

Now we know what to expect should one show up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-Evinrude-E ... 1e&vxp=mtr

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2014, 3:37 pm   
Drag Racing Sponsor

Has anyone had one of these apart? It looks like the lower unit is the same casting as the 70hp big case OMCs going all the way back to the 70's. I wonder if the bolt holes and driveshaft are in the same location. Splice a driveshaft and bolt a nitro lower right on it.

19' Laser 380 Ray (Future Project)