It is currently June 17th, 2024, 4:25 am

Yamaha HPDI Questions

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 13th, 2015, 7:23 pm   

Haven't actually got the call yet but i suspect i will from a very frustrated customer.

Here is the situation.
200 (i think) was in storage for ten years or so with 9 hrs on it. (cool find) maybe lol.
Mounted on a bass boat and didn't run worth a crap lol.

Here is what i know so far.
Fuel pressure was low, VST or whatever yamaha calls it was cleaned and a new pump was installed.
Injectors were removed and manually inspected, not sent out for flow test etc.
Motor starts and runs at idle but apparently falls on it's face around 2100-2200 rpm and will not get on plane.

Sooo, i have a few question's for you Yam guy's. I will get the motor info if needed, just looking for some pre suggestions and thoughts for now.

Obviously fuel management and ignition is computer controlled.

Do these motors all run the same fuel pressure? Pretty sure he mentioned 52 psi? But then again he is a fiberglass guy lol Sorry Murph, you are an exception.

Does the ignition system have a low and high speed winding similar to a Merc? Could explain it.

Like i said, looking for thoughts at this point, don't usually stray too far from black lol.

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: August 13th, 2015, 8:31 pm   

I'm more of an ox66 guy but I'll offer up what I've read/heard about them. They have MANY levels of fuel filtration. Bulb/separator/motor mounted/vst/injector filters. There may be more but that's what I remember top of head. Yes Yamaha calls it a vst as well. I believe it also has high/low in the "Pulser Coil" as they call it. Yamaha electronics have proven to pretty reliable. Given the number of times I have read about fuel delivery issues (usually a clogged filter somewhere) I would start there iffin' it was me... If I think of anything else yammi specific I'll post it.

PostPosted: August 13th, 2015, 8:42 pm   

Mr R. Cole I'm sure has forgotten more than I know about them, maybe he will chime in.

PostPosted: August 13th, 2015, 9:16 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

It's fuel...or it's blown up...the only two issues these things have lol.

I can put it on the computer if you need but it's likely one of the filters that's plugged...or a bad fuel line/anti siphon from the tank. Make sure they changed the filter in the VST on the pump and the silver canister on the output side of the VST.

Spark plugs too...they do eat plugs.

Is it a 3.3 or 2.6 200?

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: August 14th, 2015, 5:05 pm   

Thanks guy's, i would suspect fuel as well especially since it has sat for so long but i'm not involved with diagnosis yet.
Dok, they have had a look with the computer apparently but i think the guy helping is not an outboard guy at all. Not really sure of his skill level.
If they haven't sorted it out this weekend i will go look at it on Monday, what fuel pressure should i see from the high pressure pump?
The rest of the system i can figure out easily, thanks for your thoughts boys.

PostPosted: August 14th, 2015, 7:01 pm   

bmax wrote:
But then again he is a fiberglass guy lol Sorry Murph, you are an exception.

Thanks
But then there is a difference between a figerglass guy and a Fiberglass Whisperer. :lol: