It is currently April 29th, 2024, 12:39 pm

nitro gears

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 25th, 2016, 6:15 am   

Yes there was quite a few short shaft 60 Suzuki's that raced in AU. Back in the 80's I built a boat 1 foot shorter than my 3 cylinder boat and ran a 2 cylinder 60 hp Suzuki and ran a kilo just over 70 mph one way. Could not back it up as the motor overheated due to engine height a touch too high. Ended up with an overall speed of just over 68 mph. The boat was unbeatable. Running a 25in pitch prop in the 68 mile bridge race the boat did this race in just over the hour.
As regards changing gear ratios, the bottom end of both drive shafts are the same with the only difference being the thrust bearing and thrust housing. If anyone has a 15:28 and a 12:29 I would suggest that you pull both down and compare. From the centre of the drive shaft back is the same and forward of this is different.

Stephen Medaris

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: February 25th, 2016, 8:01 am   
Team Member

That Suzuki ran very well. The only one I know about here was Ron Hill's wife set the world record for hard bottom inflatable with one. In Japan they raced a two cylinder tunnel class and it ran well there.

Profile Send private message