It is currently April 29th, 2024, 1:25 pm

trying to read the plugs !!!

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 14th, 2016, 3:49 pm   

what do these pics of plugs tell you ?

they were taken out today, ran engine yesterday and it seemed to be running good ?
idle was not as crisp as usual, but mid range and top end were real good and crisp.

engine temp stayed around 60 to 65 deg c, air temp around 21 c
dry fresh clear air, 200ft above sea level.
running 90 octane mercury premium 2 stroke ( its getting on a bit, around 5 years old)
will be going to premium plus when I go to shop next.

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: May 16th, 2016, 2:47 pm   

:) They look pretty good to me, other than the third one on the right of your pic. It has deposits around the center electrode. Not being there to look first hand, I would ask what that white deposit is? Also, all three seem a touch lean, but that was probably due to the cooler air. I'm sure in warmer weather the color will darken a tad bit.

PostPosted: May 16th, 2016, 6:46 pm   

The little white spots on the right plug are just reflections from light source in my garage.
that plug is not realy like that, its the same as the other two.
I have checked spark gap on all three coils and it easy jumps 3/4 inch so no problems with spark.
plugs gapped at 30 thou.

Now if a touch on the lean side, then what size do I need to go to next and where do I get different size
jets for these carbs ?
There is only the one size jet listed for the main (52D) and just one size for the top of carb 60D .
I have not found anywhere that gives any data on different jets for these carbs (black plastic tops on carbs) year 1995.
pic below showing the 2 jets.
only other thing on carb is needle for setting it richer or leaner at idle.( no 15 in pic below)

PostPosted: May 17th, 2016, 9:00 am   

The 60D's are the intermediate air jets. If you go smaller in size, you will get less air, so the mid range will be richer. The hi speeds are the 52D's. They are fuel jets and the smaller you go the leaner you get. I would try going to 53 or 54D's in the hi speed jets. You can order them from any BRP Evinrude dealer. The P/N's are 321297 for 53D's and 321407 for 54D's. In the hot weather stay with what you have, but in cold weather try the 53 or 54D's. Also you can play with the intermediates as well if you wish. I would stay with 60D's in hotl weather, but try 58D's in cold weather. P/N is 328543 for 58D's. Jets are about $12.50 each. Good luck.

PostPosted: May 17th, 2016, 9:01 am   

Also, the adjustable low speed should be set at 2-2 1/2 turns out for best idle.

PostPosted: May 17th, 2016, 9:08 am   
Team Member

What to the piston tops look like? Do you have a bore light?

PostPosted: May 17th, 2016, 12:46 pm   

first off, we are supposed to be getting a very long hot summer (so say weather "experts" ) so maybe leave the jets for now.
as for the tops of pistons, they have a slight bit of carbon on them and some wet stuff that I think is un-burned 2 stroke oil.
I did take a swab of it with a q tip and its a very dark blue colour , like quicksilver oil and a bit of burnt oil mix !!!

pics of the pistons down through the plug hole with endoscope showed the writing on top of pistons easy enough, even showing the lines of factory markins etc.
these are the only surviving pics as I accidently dumped a whole file yesterday.
will get more soon.

these below are not good quality, but you can see in the first pic the close up view of the speckly oily stuff ?
there is NO pitting on the pistons, this stuff is loose ish.
when I had the better pics it didn't look as bad as this

PostPosted: May 17th, 2016, 1:14 pm   

this clip shows the pick up speed from 10 to 43 mph. ran out of clean river to try any more distance at this time.
due to river being high is causing huge trees and tons debris in the river at the moment.
this very short clip gives an idea of how the engine is picking up, this was with a 12 3/4 x 21 omc sst2 prop.
2 people on board (both of us are 230 pound each + )
gives an idea of how the engine sounds when picking up, and no hesitation or spluttering.
river very choppy and around 1ft swells, this is going against the flow (6+ mph river speed).

i know its not a rocket ship compared to race boats on here, but speed is climbing steadily.

PostPosted: May 17th, 2016, 9:13 pm   

oh and thanks for those jet numbers hec2buck , I will get hold of some for when it gets cooler for sure.