It is currently May 9th, 2024, 5:35 pm

OPBRA......ENGINE RULE CHANGES FOR 2019...OVAL T750 & T850

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 PostPosted: January 28th, 2019, 3:45 pm   
Team Member

hec2buck wrote:
Then what rule change is Don referring too? "The use of the SST-45 mid-section." Thx Matt

Thom it is in the post a few posts ago....I e-mailed you the rules.

COMPETITION REGULATIONS – OVAL CLASSES
g. Exhaust and Midsection casing: Modifications, or custom parts, or removal of factory
parts, that are part of the exhaust system, are permitted below the engine block to
adapter plate gasket, so long as the primary portion of the exhaust still exits through
the gearcase. Changes to the mid-section casing are not permitted. Custom midsection
housing are permitted so long as their sole intent is to convert the motor to a 15” short
shaft.
Example1: you can use a bespoke adapter plate and megaphone exhaust tuner while
removing the “can” or “muffler”. Example2: you are not permitted to relieve exhaust by drilling
holes or creating openings in the midsection housing. Example3: you may add exhaust relief
holes to the lower gearcase housing.
h. Engine Mounts: Engine mounts may be replaced by any replacement or custom made
mount so long as the mount points remain factory stock. Example: you can build mounts
from any materials so long as they match factory mount fitment.

As DOC said above.....the TORC rules have not changed and under TORC rules you cannot run a modified mid section you must run a stock mid section. So you CANNOT run an SST45.
In OPBRA you can run a mod...so a SST45 with the mid section exhaust fitted it should be legal based on the rule in this post.

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: January 28th, 2019, 3:57 pm   

Can anyone clarify this, perhaps this will be an education in how to read rules. I'm not good at reading rules.

I'm guessing that the only way the fishing/consumer 56ci OMC powerhead with 15" OMC 3cyl mid is legal in the TORC rules is because the SST60 is a legal motor and it has the 15" mid. Because the fishing/consumer 56 cube OMC was never offered in 15", correct? (and you are allowed to mix and match parts from any legal motor of the same brand?)

1980 Thundercraft v142 Restored

PostPosted: January 28th, 2019, 4:09 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

mattmak wrote:
Can anyone clarify this, perhaps this will be an education in how to read rules. I'm not good at reading rules.

I'm guessing that the only way the fishing/consumer 56ci OMC powerhead with 15" OMC 3cyl mid is legal in the TORC rules is because the SST60 is a legal motor and it has the 15" mid. Because the fishing/consumer 56 cube OMC was never offered in 15", correct? (and you are allowed to mix and match parts from any legal motor of the same brand?)

The rules were written for the engines already running in the class AFTER people bitched that there weren't enough rules...so rules got written....the people that bitched broke the rules...then they quit racing lol. Just show up...the other people that race will be happy to have the boat count. Trust me.

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: January 28th, 2019, 4:11 pm   
Team Member

mattmak wrote:

Under current CBF/TORC rules you are allowed to run the 56 fishing motor on a 15 inch 49/SST60 mid...that is the ONLY exception where you can use parts from another model.

PostPosted: January 28th, 2019, 4:15 pm   

DoktorC wrote:
The rules were written for the engines already running in the class AFTER people bitched that there weren't enough rules...so rules got written....the people that bitched broke the rules...then they quit racing lol. Just show up...the other people that race will be happy to have the boat count. Trust me.

LOL,
Yeas, that I have already understood! :)

So really the rules should read: "Show up, if you are too fast we will figure it out by adding weight or something.." and that's it.

PostPosted: January 28th, 2019, 4:20 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

mattmak wrote:
DoktorC wrote:

LOL,
Yeas, that I have already understood! :)

So really the rules should read: "Show up, if you are too fast we will figure it out by adding weight or something.." and that's it.

The original rules were 160lbs of compression and the fair competition rule (if you are too fast you get slowed down). Lots of boats and lots of fun. Things change...but...simple is best IMO.

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: January 28th, 2019, 4:22 pm   
Team Member

Now this is where it gets interesting in rules using the word MODIFY, When you don't state the extent you can modify then people will read the rule differently.
Examples: Modify the hull.
Some will just modify the pad......Some will make the hull into a Mod VP.

The mod midsection rule...
IF? the 60HP ETEC powerhead will mount on an SST45 mid because of the SST45's large base plate and you can bolt the ETEC'S lower unit on the SST45 mid....that is an interesting combo.

PostPosted: January 28th, 2019, 4:45 pm   

DoktorC wrote:
The original rules were 160lbs of compression and the fair competition rule (if you are too fast you get slowed down). Lots of boats and lots of fun. Things change...but...simple is best IMO.

I like it.

I'd like to see more folks come out to race.

For those of you who do not race, what would it take?

PostPosted: January 28th, 2019, 5:44 pm   
Team Member

mattmak wrote:
DoktorC wrote:

Here are the original rules DOC is talking about:

19-B-37 (553.10) – Sole Modifications Allowed
Only the following modifications are allowed and a motor spec sheet must be provided to the class inspector.

13. Original carburetor jets may be replaced for another size.
14. Springs may be added to the throttle lever of the carburetors.
15. Re-boring is allowed to a maximum of 40 thousands oversize.
16. Only OEM or direct replacement parts approved. Plastic reeds approved.
17. No internal motor part can be machined or altered in any way. Cylinder head and block can be machined. Maximum compression is 160 psi. Modular cranks maybe pinned
18. Measurements not quoted in the homologation sheet shall only be checked by visual comparison with standard parts. As the actual manufacturing tolerances are not published,
small differences between the inspected part and the reference part must be accepted.

22. FAIR COMPETITION RULE A motor’s legibility and class placement is subject to class members approval. A boat will race in the class where it is most competitive.

PostPosted: January 28th, 2019, 6:14 pm   
Team Member

Rowboat wrote:
Please keep in mind that our intention was not to stray from T-CORD rules.
We want all racers to be able to compete.
Our Rules Committee did a great job.
Feel free to contact us at info@opbra.ca for clarification/questions.

Read Brent’s comment again.

“ the intent was not to stray from the T-CORD rules” So if something was lost in the rewrite contact them for clarification/questions.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next