It is currently May 7th, 2024, 1:31 am

Upper trailer for a Two up T boat trailer

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 PostPosted: January 31st, 2013, 9:27 am   
Team Member

Maybe some of our Insurance members can clarify the following:

Not sure if this special double stacker trailer would need a special approval MTO sticker like the car carrier trailers have to get so we are not hastled by OPP on the side of the road questioning if the trailer load was "safe"?
Is it legal to simply tow 2 trailers behind a vehicle? I have seen a few instances on the highway with a motorhome pulling a car and attached to the car is a small cargo trailer.
Could we simply make a removable tow bar that would attach to the rear of trailer #1 allowing the T boat trailer to attach to. I have seen these " rear trailer extensions" on many of the larger offshore boat trailers to protect the outboards/outdrives. Yes it would be almost impossible to back up the 2 trailers at once- but both boats are on their own trailer for juggling around the parking lot and launching separately.
As long as the 2 trailers did not exceed the GVWR of the vehicle and any overall MTO overall length restrictions it might be more economical than having to purchase a special double decker trailer.

12' tinny - 9.9 merc

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: January 31st, 2013, 11:55 am   
HPBC PRESIDENT

Hounddog wrote:
Hydroid wrote:
Hdog, any update/thoughts on the 2up trlr?
I have Shoremaster 1200PWC lift(w/o canopy), ample 1200capacity for T weight, light, cantilever could work w proper trlr frame. Top/bottom boat can be offset 6-8" left/right of each to allow lower cowl & upper gcase to overlap laterally.
Spec: http://shoremaster.com/files/Brochures/ ... 1847AM.pdf

The fellow that builds the 2 side by side trailers is coming to the boat show to measure Craig's T boat and see if he can design a trailer set up for the T's. If? you want to be present, I can let you know the day and time he will be at the show.

i think you guys need to talk to the Builder of Todd's double stacked thundercat trailer.... its ALREADY been done why re invent the wheel ? and not only that his is Certified and on the road. AND IT WORKS.

PostPosted: January 31st, 2013, 1:17 pm   
Team Member

Himagain wrote:
For me it would be awesome to get the stv on the bottom and the tboat on top.... then I would just need a dolly for the t boat

Does this mean you now have a T Boat too, or just planning? More details! 8-)

PostPosted: January 31st, 2013, 10:15 pm   
TORC VP

I don't have one yet.....soon grasshopper soon

PostPosted: January 31st, 2013, 10:54 pm   
Team Member

tuff critch??? Green and mean?

PostPosted: February 1st, 2013, 3:29 pm   
Team Member

Dougw wrote:
Maybe some of our Insurance members can clarify the following:

Not sure if this special double stacker trailer would need a special approval MTO sticker like the car carrier trailers have to get so we are not hastled by OPP on the side of the road questioning if the trailer load was "safe"?
Is it legal to simply tow 2 trailers behind a vehicle? I have seen a few instances on the highway with a motorhome pulling a car and attached to the car is a small cargo trailer.
Could we simply make a removable tow bar that would attach to the rear of trailer #1 allowing the T boat trailer to attach to. I have seen these " rear trailer extensions" on many of the larger offshore boat trailers to protect the outboards/outdrives. Yes it would be almost impossible to back up the 2 trailers at once- but both boats are on their own trailer for juggling around the parking lot and launching separately.
As long as the 2 trailers did not exceed the GVWR of the vehicle and any overall MTO overall length restrictions it might be more economical than having to purchase a special double decker trailer.

You can tow two trailers. However, first one must be fifth wheel style. Second can be typical ball style. Length is also a consideration but with our boats that would not affect us.

As for stacking trailers, they are everywhere! Car haulers for example. The MTO regs just need to be followed which are VERY grey!!

PostPosted: February 1st, 2013, 4:42 pm   
Team Member

Two trailers... My understanding is if the tow vehicle has commercial plates (black ones) it does not have to be a 5th wheel. Many people have pickup trucks with the black plates.

Total length of 75'-6" (including the tow vehicle)

Profile Send private message WWW  
 PostPosted: February 6th, 2013, 12:51 pm   
Team Member

An undate on Brant's 2 side by side trailers.
Brant has been working with a CAD program, made a hull mock-up and designed the trailers. The boats will mount on cradles. The cradle will tilt to 36 degrees to allow the 2 boats to be towed legally [legal width] down the road. At the race site, you pull 3 pins to separate them into two separate trailers. A lever will be used to drop the cradle flat onto the trailer. The boat will be attached to both the cradle and the trailer. There will be more information available at the Feb. 23 TORC meeting. The cost for the 2 galvinized trailers is $2500.00. The first one has been ordered. You can also use the trailers for other types of watercraft that are similar in size.

PostPosted: February 6th, 2013, 2:15 pm   
Team Member

Hounddog wrote:
Brant has been working with a CAD program, made a hull mock-up and designed the trailers. The boats will mount on cradles. The cradle will tilt to 36 degrees to allow the 2 boats to be towed legally [legal width] down the road. At the race site, you pull 3 pins to separate them into two separate trailers. A lever will be used to drop the cradle flat onto the trailer. The boat will be attached to both the cradle and the trailer. There will be more information available at the Feb. 23 TORC meeting. The cost for the 2 galvinized trailers is $2500.00. The first one has been ordered. You can also use the trailers for other types of watercraft that are similar in size.

FYI make sure you have proper support on the cradle, some of your t-boats are thin on the sides and all the weight will be on there when in transit, Im sure you have taken that into account, just in case thought i would mention it.

http://thundercatracingna.com/

Profile Send private message WWW  
 PostPosted: February 6th, 2013, 3:11 pm   
Team Member

Hounddog wrote:

Don, FYI big ass Voodoo's are wider than Critch. Hopefully there's adjustment, looking forward to seeing first trlr.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next