It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:41 pm

Looking at a boat to buy...

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 PostPosted: March 26th, 2015, 6:50 am   

when you'll get a quote to rebuilt that BP you'll pass...no matter how many spares you have.100-125hrs comes fast before another teardown.

dont get me wrong I loved mine. its a shame it didnt last long, I shurely have some of the blame on me but they werent bullet proof either from the get go. the stv charger was made in the prime of the BP era so they are kinda made for each other. its a proven setup and runs really well with a nice SRX prop

on a positive note,parting out the BP powerhead almost covered the cost of my promax powerhead. Gained some piece of mind and 2mph in the process. not bad if you ask me.

they are fun boats,weight sensitive,turns great and fairly easy to drive up to 85mph.

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: March 26th, 2015, 7:17 am   

That's what I'm thinking....I'd like to keep in the 200+ range and efi. 175 xs doesn't sound too bad either. No matter which route....boat condition is the key for me....power can be dealt with. I hope I'm not talking out my ass.

ISO Barefoot Sanger OB

PostPosted: March 26th, 2015, 12:06 pm   

Dont get to worried about breaking any speed records either if its your first high performance boat. Altho 100mph sounds like the bench mark, even a 70-80mph boats hauling the mail and can get you into trouble quick, my buddy bought a charger this past summer with a 150xr4 (does around 72mph) and he gave himself a scare the first few weeks and after that hes bin afraid of it lol. but 70-80 is also alot of fun to so as said boat conditions priority, power can always be upgraded later

PostPosted: March 26th, 2015, 1:03 pm   
Team Member

Half the fun when you start off, other than running with us of course lol! is setting goals and reaching them. I still remember my first 70 , 80mph passes.It's just getting out and running with friends thats the most fun, while you are learning the setup and how to drive your boat. Hitting 90 at westlake last year was great , but its taken me years to figure out my setup, I guess I'm a little slow too lol

Steve

PostPosted: March 26th, 2015, 3:19 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

beavertonae-21 wrote:
Half the fun when you start off, other than running with us of course lol! is setting goals and reaching them. I still remember my first 70 , 80mph passes.It's just getting out and running with friends thats the most fun, while you are learning the setup and how to drive your boat. Hitting 90 at westlake last year was great , but its taken me years to figure out my setup, I guess I'm a little slow too lol

Steve

I'm just happy I get to use mine every once in a while. Figuring out setup can wait (for me..). I love running with the guys and spending an evening running on at the mouth lol.

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: March 26th, 2015, 10:09 pm   
Team Member

You worry too much!
First you need a boat that is safe and sound, then a motor that will be reliable,safely setup with proper safety gear for both you and the boat.
Now out to play with it,(be nice to have another boat around(it may quit),
Come out to get togethers and see what other have done with theirs(you don't have to wait to have a boat that floats, we all take riders from time to time)
If I have room your welcome!

PostPosted: March 26th, 2015, 10:26 pm   

Hey, welcome to the site! I'm in the same boat as you. I'm new and looking to buy a ride as well. Have a few on my list currently, all Hydrostreams. Going to look at one this weekend :). Hope the boat you're looking out turns out to go well, sounds like it would be a great boat!

PostPosted: March 28th, 2015, 11:35 am   
Team Member

Just buy the boat and motor that are in the best condition you can afford, assuming you like boating more than repairing. Any 20-30 year old boat is likely a candidate for restoration. I would not buy a boat that old that had not been restored.

PostPosted: March 28th, 2015, 11:54 am   

I just put a deposit down on a boat, I pick it up in 3 weeks! :mrgreen:

My only picture of it so far...

PostPosted: March 28th, 2015, 3:27 pm   
Team Member

Hydro stream with a Yammi?
Is that JC's old boat?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next