It is currently May 2nd, 2024, 1:15 am

CATCH 10 - Full Size Templates and Plans Available Now!

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 PostPosted: March 26th, 2014, 12:05 am   

I've been off the grid for a while now with some badly messed up hands but will mail out plans to those who want them as soon as possible. Email me your mailing address so I can find out the postage fees for you ahead of time, unless you want to pick them up in the Mississauga/Etobicoke area. stvcharger@hotmail.com

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: March 26th, 2014, 7:53 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

I really want to ask about your hands...but maybe I don't want to know the answer lol.

I'm not in a hurry but I do want a set...so if you want paid just tell me how.

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: August 14th, 2014, 3:30 pm   

Hello. I know this is an older thread, but I couldn't help pipe in on the subject.

My father built this boat when I was around 7 years old in Ontario. I remember driving it many moons ago. It's great to see it still out there. We are in the process of acquiring the second generation catch 10 which was built in 90 or 91. I'm excited to get back into one after 30 years.

PostPosted: August 14th, 2014, 4:09 pm   

Catch10 wrote:
Hello. I know this is an older thread, but I couldn't help pipe in on the subject.

My father built this boat when I was around 7 years old in Ontario. I remember driving it many moons ago. It's great to see it still out there. We are in the process of acquiring the second generation catch 10 which was built in 90 or 91. I'm excited to get back into one after 30 years.

Glad you found the site! DoktorC has a set of the plans from me and I'm sure will be interested in seeing the revised version. I know I am!

PostPosted: August 15th, 2014, 10:23 am   
Team Member

Are you still having plans printed off for those of us that were interested? Or is there a PDF copy available?

PostPosted: September 26th, 2014, 1:08 am   

I thought I would weigh in here on the Catch-10. I designed that boat in about 1985. I had a friend who started a business in London, Ontario selling boat kits. I lived in Fonthill. He had only one product so I designed this as a kit for his second product. The white boat with two-tone blue is the prototype, #1 Jimboat named after my son, Jamie who we called Jimbo back then. We wrote the assembly manual who someone said wasn't very good. Sorry! I made and he sold about 20 kits in 1985-1990 as I recall and I know some of them got built / finished. The clear varnished one here was built only a few years ago by one of my brothers. It is gorgeous. He has a second one on the go. He is in Toronto.

My friend's business did not last and we built a few of the boats completely at the time. The last one we built was modified on the underside. We got fancy. We deepened the tunnel to 6 inches from 4 and added another chine line. So, it has a flatter but narrower bottom at the back and a 45 degree panel under the vertical side panel. And, we put a few steps in the bottom to break water tension because the boat sticks on glass-smooth water. It goes fastest upwind in light ripples as someone noted. On that last boat, we also extended the nose out to the picklefork ends. That boat sat in storage for 25 years where we built them until now: 95% complete structurally. I moved to Idaho in 1992 and the boat came out of storage and arrived in my garage here last Sunday with 25 years of dust on it. Otherwise, still good.

My son (Catch10 here) was about 8 or 10 when he drove Jimboat. We sold it to my cousin, David Smith in Barrie when we moved. Awesome to know that it stuck around for a long time. My son wants the dusty one and that is why we dragged it out of storage after 25 years. I will finish it and dress it up over the winter and then he will take it to Colorado where he lives. All kits were made by me and my best friend near Welland, Ontario. He might still have the templates and maybe a copy of the instruction book. My brother got his materials from him only a few years ago. He never throws anything away it seems.

If interest is expressed, I will look into the templates and I will post photos of the dusty boat as we dress it up. It makes me smile to read that you think the boat looks good and that there is still talk of it 25 years after we finished messing with it.

Peter Catchpole (thus the name "Catch-10")

PostPosted: September 26th, 2014, 10:01 am   

I bought the boat in approx 2000/2001 from a guy down in Welland, Ontario. I had it for several years before I sold it to step up to a retired SST-60 / F3 hull. It was sold to a guy on S&F and is currently being loved to death each summer by its current owners too.

I stumbled across a photo of the clear varnished one at Noah's, which is a block from my office. After some arm twisting at Noah's, I got your brother's contact info (Mark). He was awesome! He drove to my place in Etobicoke and met with Patrick and I for about an hour. He had traced out a set of templates on brown construction type paper and gave me a copy of the manual as well. He wouldn't even accept gas money.. All he said was to enjoy and to share them without profit with those that might want to build one as well.

Thank you for sharing the history of this hull with us Peter!

PostPosted: September 26th, 2014, 4:15 pm   

If I understand you correctly, Jimboat is still active. If true, that is amazing. I am sure that ny brother Mark got the template tracings from our original templates and he is quite right to say, "they are yours, have fun." That means the templates etc. still do exist back in "the Barn" where the work was all done back then.

When I get to it in a few days or weeks, I will upload photos of our Version 2 of the design to show you its tweaked features. I have a photo given to me by one of the boat's kit buyers who put a 40 hp on it and said he does 70 mph with it. HeySoos Kristo! In the photo, his boat is not touching the water.

Peter

PostPosted: September 27th, 2014, 1:24 am   

This is a video clip of it with its current owner from a few years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXBolhOzvLM

They still own Jimboat and have played with the set up, props, changed the steering and added a foot throttle. Not sure why they changed the cowl. The original brown cowl was still in mint condition when I sold it to him.

I'd definitely love to see the revised version of the hull when you have the time. Thanks Peter!

PostPosted: October 4th, 2014, 2:58 pm   

Just for Fun, I have set up a Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/catch10tunnelboat
On this page, I will chronicle the completion of the latest edition of the Catch 10 that I started to build in about 1990-1991. My son, now 36 wants to take it to Colorado where he now lives. The timeline is June 2015. In the meantime, the site has photos of previous boats. You have seen some of these photos but, some are new. I invite anyone interested to go look and stay engaged.

Peter

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next