It is currently April 27th, 2024, 8:42 pm

Looking at a boat to buy...

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 PostPosted: March 24th, 2015, 11:15 pm   

Hi Guys;

I'm new to fast boats so looking for some help and guidance. A friend is selling his 89' Charger STV, good shape overall, average wear on the interior, pretty clean inside an out. Running a 91 Mariner Bridgeport rebuild years ago by Speed Master. Hydraulic jack plate, 27" Chopper, and a bunch of other goodies (sellers words). It's sitting on an EZ loader trailer, rusty but not too too bad.

Any advice on what to look for when I go to see it? is it a good boat? Always wanted to get into something fun like this, what would the price range be in reasonably good condition?

Thanks

KH

ISO Barefoot Sanger OB

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: March 24th, 2015, 11:49 pm   

The late 80's are said to have bin built with less quality then the older ones, check to motor well for cracks in the corners, see if the floor and knees are solid. Make sure its a warm day or in heated storage. If anythings rotten it will seem solid when its all frozen then when the warm weather hits ull be in for a bad suprise lol

PostPosted: March 25th, 2015, 7:28 am   

Thanks Carson

ISO Barefoot Sanger OB

PostPosted: March 25th, 2015, 9:46 am   
Team Member

See if one of the more knowledgeable individuals on site to see if they would review it with you, they have been very good about doing this, the season is almost upo n us and they're time is precious.

PostPosted: March 25th, 2015, 9:52 am   

That's a great idea, boat is in Haliburton near hwy 118 and 35. How would I go about asking, I'm very green and know no one at this point.

KH

ISO Barefoot Sanger OB

PostPosted: March 25th, 2015, 11:12 am   

i like those boats, i have time but both my arms are broken, so you will have to be my hands ill lend you my brain and eyes.. :lol:

spend some time checking out the transom,, in the bilge area, and around the pad for cracking and rot... also going to want to take a compression tester,, maybe even a set of head gasketts and see if he will let you pull the heads off the motor to inspect..

19' tempest picklefork 84 mod vpcarb 102mph

PostPosted: March 25th, 2015, 11:16 am   
Team Member

You're looking for any wetness in the wood, short of pulling out a screw on the inside of the boat and looking for evidence of moisture I'm not sure what you can do. There's a technique for hammering lightly on the hull and looking for a dead kind of sound but I'd be lying if I said I were an expert at that.

Try to see if the boat was left in the water for the season or not year after year. If it was it'll likely be wet.

Any cracking around the transom is very bad news.

PostPosted: March 25th, 2015, 11:41 am   

Is this the white/black/red boat from Dunnville/Hamilton that's been up for sale a few times?

PostPosted: March 25th, 2015, 12:46 pm   
Team Member

BoomerMuskoka wrote:
i like those boats, i have time but both my arms are broken, so you will have to be my hands ill lend you my brain and eyes.. :lol:

spend some time checking out the transom,, in the bilge area, and around the pad for cracking and rot... also going to want to take a compression tester,, maybe even a set of head gasketts and see if he will let you pull the heads off the motor to inspect..

Broken arms WHAT????

PostPosted: March 25th, 2015, 1:14 pm   

beavertonae-21 wrote:
BoomerMuskoka wrote:

Broken arms WHAT????

Did you miss his Facebook post? Pictures are up, somehow...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next