It is currently April 29th, 2024, 5:48 am

Rural living

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 13th, 2015, 9:55 pm   

Living Rural
So Sherry and I are planning on moving out of subdivision living sooner rather than later. I know many of you folks live in the country and I'm looking for all opinions good/bad/otherwise on "the plan". Our business is at 407/Dufferin St in concord. Kids are gone to uni so we are empty nesters. Going to move to a smaller house on 5-50 acres. With a shop or will build one to suit. We plan on eventually working from home, fixing mostly automotive but whatever comes in the door even if it's lawn mowers and tractors. The 407 is heading to the 115 by 2020 so we want to be along the corridor somewhere. Maybe not as far as Peterborough but who knows. The commute doesn't really worry us , it's pushing an hour from our house in Newmarket now as it is. We can also come/go at off hours if need be. Do you think a "fixing" guy could make a living working from home? While we have always lived in a subdivision we are not "cidiots" and have always cottaged and are familiar with most aspects of living out of the big smoke. Everyone so far has told us "you will move out and never look back" but I would to hear opinions from anyone who has done it or is currently living somewhat like I've described.
Thanks!

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: August 13th, 2015, 10:30 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

We made the move 4 years ago...I grew up next door so I'm used to it...but I'd never go back and never wanted to be in a subdivision in the first place but that's what we could afford at the time. It is a shit tonne more work....the grass, snow blowing, firewood....on and on...but I do enjoy it. Our kids are young and they LOVE it so that in itself is worth it for me. I now have a 2 story shop full of yamaha parts instead of a single car garage lol.

If you're prepared for the extra work of maintaining the property and have the equipment to do it you'll love it. Nothing compares to having your own space...and room to park many boats lol.

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: August 13th, 2015, 11:51 pm   

DoktorC wrote:
We made the move 4 years ago...I grew up next door so I'm used to it...but I'd never go back and never wanted to be in a subdivision in the first place but that's what we could afford at the time. It is a shit tonne more work....the grass, snow blowing, firewood....on and on...but I do enjoy it. Our kids are young and they LOVE it so that in itself is worth it for me. I now have a 2 story shop full of yamaha parts instead of a single car garage lol.

If you're prepared for the extra work of maintaining the property and have the equipment to do it you'll love it. Nothing compares to having your own space...and room to park many boats lol.

I think last time I was at your place I think I counted 8 boats on your land :lol:

PostPosted: August 14th, 2015, 1:08 am   

The gf and I live just outside of orr lake, on 2 acres of land in the trees. Its great, wouldent trade if for anything. Less pine trees would be easier on boat covers tho lol. 36x48 shop in the works in a year or 2. Will be nice to have indoor storage.

PostPosted: August 14th, 2015, 8:35 am   
Team Member

We did the move out of the city in August last year.
We owned and lived in the same house in Scarborough for 21 years. Great neighbourhood, but still Scarborough.
We moved up near Peterborough with almost 2 acres of land and an existing bungalow.
The new 1000sf shop is almost complete. With heat (and possibly cooling), built beside the house.

Work is based in Oshawa and the drive is less than when I lived in town and worked in Downsview.
First time I could use cruise control to go to work!!

We love it up there. When you get home, it's like living at the cottage.
Oh, and the Otanabee is in my backyard!!

Give us a call and come on up for a visit, Mike.

PostPosted: August 14th, 2015, 9:05 am   
Team Member

Left the city in /97(doctor assisted) only go back to visit and remember the reason for leaving.
Your shop was out in country then, so remember the city is chasing you!

PostPosted: August 14th, 2015, 9:39 am   
HPBC PRESIDENT

FluKy15 wrote:
I think last time I was at your place I think I counted 8 boats on your land :lol:

But only 4 of them were mine lol.

PostPosted: August 14th, 2015, 11:44 am   

Guys I really, really appreciate all the input. Our guts tell us it's the right move for us, and its always been our end game plan. We are in a fortunate position that we are becoming "empty nesters" a few years before turning 50 and have enough energy to hopefully pull it all off. The plan would be to commute to the shop until such a time we decide to shut it down and the commute would be from the back door of the house to the front door of the shop out back. Going to West Lake and checking out the Riot's set up confirms and reminds us why it is we want to get the fcuk out of Dodge sooner rather than later!

PostPosted: December 4th, 2015, 5:25 pm   

Well as some of you know Sherry and I found a place. Started out looking for an apple and instead bought an orange. Good news, 6 minute drive to boat launch on Sturgeon Lake (can walk it if you had to) house is awesome and I don't have to do another top-to-bottom reno, and lots of room for parking lol. Bad news, no garage, at all, not even a garden shed. Longer commute, but I have my secretary, personal assistant, and wife sitting next to me with a smartphone in hand. More good news is that allows us to build the garage we want. Looks like the boat will be living in a quonset hut for a few years. Decided against working from home anytime in the near future, shop is running just fine where it is. We are closer to the kids by an hour and twenty so that helps too! Looking forward to calling the Kawartha's home!:cheers:

PostPosted: December 4th, 2015, 6:02 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

That's awesome! I saw the pics on FB...looks like a beautiful place.