It is currently May 23rd, 2024, 5:28 am

I bet there are law suits over high water in Muskoka Lakes

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 PostPosted: April 14th, 2016, 9:45 pm   
Team Member

Northbase wrote:
DoktorC wrote:
Our lake which is not controlled was up 18-20" over its normal spring peak. There was a lot of water in the system this year.

Exactly....we didn't get piles of snow but it did rain over the course of the winter which saturated the ground and froze. All the accumulated moisture was there.
Big problem is that the junior dill holes at the MNR can't figure that out. As a result our docks are under water and there's fish phuckin in my yard!!
:mrgreen:

.....our docks are under water and there's fish phuckin in my yard!!
Thanks Don Rickles, was eating my nightly Chips Ahoy, i've got 2 chips rattling in my lungs.
Keep the fish phukin quiet, or Mrs MNR Asshat will designate your front yard a fish habitat sanctuary,you won't launch another boat in your lifetime.

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: April 14th, 2016, 10:16 pm   
Team Member

Hydroid wrote:
Northbase wrote:
DoktorC wrote:
Our lake which is not controlled was up 18-20" over its normal spring peak. There was a lot of water in the system this year.

Exactly....we didn't get piles of snow but it did rain over the course of the winter which saturated the ground and froze. All the accumulated moisture was there.
Big problem is that the junior dill holes at the MNR can't figure that out. As a result our docks are under water and there's fish phuckin in my yard!!
:mrgreen:

.....our docks are under water and there's fish phuckin in my yard!!
Thanks Don Rickles, was eating my nightly Chips Ahoy, i've got 2 chips rattling in my lungs.
Keep the fish phukin quiet, or Mrs MNR Asshat will designate your front yard a fish habitat sanctuary,you won't launch another boat in your lifetime.

To Late!!
The town designated my waterfront, along with several others in the area as EP zones (environmentaly protected) about 8 or 10 years ago. This zoning change happened all across this municipality with little (if any) notice to property owners. As a result, now, if I want to build another or larger floating dock I must first apply for a zoning amendment ($800) then get an environmental impact report ($3000 ish). If the ZA passes I can then get (and pay for) my permit.

PostPosted: April 14th, 2016, 10:25 pm   

i could swing by with a couple white pails and take care of those fish if you'd like ;)

:lol:

19' tempest picklefork 84 mod vpcarb 102mph

PostPosted: April 15th, 2016, 8:36 am   
TORC VP

It is no different in the Kawartha's at the end of March they dropped the water so low my entire boat house was dry. I would say we were 24 inches low. I left my place like that on the Sunday night. We had no rain at all and I come back in the middle of the week to normal summer levels. By the weekend we were almost 24 inches higher than summer levels. I store my bowrider in the boat house on slings nice and high and by the time the high water and 2 foot waves hit my shore it had my boat swinging back and fourth like a kid at a play ground. In my 30+ years on the lake I have only seen a hand full of super high water levels, but none like 2013 and this year.

PostPosted: April 15th, 2016, 7:34 pm   

I love high water, finally after decades of shite low water levels we are at a good level going into summer. We have just past last years July/ Augaust levels at about 176.78m give or take with the wind and are still 2 feet from all time high levels for the Bay , July/ Aug 86 . Sorry about your boat houses and such but if you build it to take it it will , bubblers in the winter ha ha, please.

PostPosted: April 15th, 2016, 11:36 pm   

FMP wrote:
I love high water, finally after decades of shite low water levels we are at a good level going into summer. We have just past last years July/ Augaust levels at about 176.78m give or take with the wind and are still 2 feet from all time high levels for the Bay , July/ Aug 86 . Sorry about your boat houses and such but if you build it to take it it will , bubblers in the winter ha ha, please.

if you saw some of these what you describe as "improperly built" boathouses you would puke.. they are built better than most peoples homes... and now look like a tornado ripped threw them... we arent talking about a few inches of water or a foot.. its a few feet above normal .. over a foot above most docks...

i don't believe that we had near the accumulation of rain or snow this winter.. im not buyin it.. i think don is on the right track water levels were high all winter we did get alot of rain in the fall .. i think they should of lowered the levels in the fall this could've been avoided..

19' tempest picklefork 84 mod vpcarb 102mph

PostPosted: April 15th, 2016, 11:43 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

We had greater than normal lake levels...but not 5 feet higher so something is up over there for sure.

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: April 16th, 2016, 7:57 am   

After a good snow pack water eq last winter and a decent amount of spring rain levels had dropped by late summer from lack of rain. In mid to late Oct. the rains started and cont. untill freeze up . This put a lot of water at the ready come spring. The thing is the frost wasn't too deep this year and from what I saw creeks were running for the most part when things should have be frozen up. I think it was the good amount of rain that fell before the freeze that wasn't anticipated . Those rains pushed levels up on G Bay in the fall before Jan,normally it drops so a lot came down. The snow pack wasn't overly high with water compared to the last couple of years but the rain that fell in March plus the wet fall added up. The dropping of the lakes isn't perfect , last year the dry late summer and fall I heard had the Muskoka's low to the point that any further drop would have been bad if decent snows didn't arrive to make up the difference, so the late rains before freeze must have also pushed levels up more than anyone expected. About those boathouses, G Bay has far worse conditions than the inland lakes , ice pressure from the wind , level fluctuation that can swing 4 feet or more in a day with ice holding fast on structures and some of those boathouse and dock which are cribbed have been here for 80 years. If you build too low and without proper strength what can you expect. Maybe you would be better off with floaters , they work here too. I know the folks inland seem to be bothered by a couple inches of movement in a dock over the winter to the point of calling on the TV news to complain about it.

Last edited by FMP on April 16th, 2016, 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: April 16th, 2016, 7:59 am   

I was monitoring the Trent-Severn-Kawartha levels on the website and most lakes were at historic highs, but some were at normal levels.
After this spell of dry weather, the waters are now dropping

http://www.pc.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/on/trentsev ... rent_e.asp

PostPosted: April 16th, 2016, 8:42 am   
Team Member

Many of the lakes do not have any control system for water levels so there is nothing that can be pre-planned in the fall. Northbase is correct about the new people controlling our lake water levels. They didn't listen, care or understand the danger. In 2012 when it happened the first time, they said it would not happen again. Since 2012 they were told that they had the water levels too high in the fall and the suggestion was made to lower the level in the late fall after people stored their boats. They did it once and when back to their higher normal level.
My folks had a cottage on the Severn River near lock 42 from 1957 to 1975. We had a few high water springs, but only one major one. One year they told us they would drop the water 4 to 5 feet for a short period of time. No instant communication systems back then. Just letters, phone calls and word of mouth. We were able to plan for it. It was an opportunity to fix docks, boathouses and break walls. All old school.
In 2016 we should not have this problem on our lake!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next