It is currently May 10th, 2024, 5:51 pm

New here, and could use some advice

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 20th, 2016, 11:23 pm   

Good luck with whatever you buy, plenty of knowledgeable and helpful people on here. I, like you, grew up watching OMC and Merc V-6's rocking our lake since I was a kid and now I am living the dream. Feels good!

ISO Barefoot Sanger OB

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: May 21st, 2016, 2:13 am   

Crawl wrote:
Ad says early 90's power head. Older covers. Oil injection has been removed.

Id be happy if it ran good, and could cruise at 60ish without blowing up the first run. I have had bad luck with alot of two smokes ive owned over the years. All dirt bikes though, and after a simple piston and rings they were all good. Just seems like no matter how good they run and sound for me, if its second hand there doomed.

i can help you keep a 2.4l alive.. ;)

19' tempest picklefork 84 mod vpcarb 102mph

PostPosted: May 21st, 2016, 4:51 pm   
Team Member

Crawl wrote:
Ad says early 90's power head. Older covers. Oil injection has been removed.

Id be happy if it ran good, and could cruise at 60ish without blowing up the first run. I have had bad luck with alot of two smokes ive owned over the years. All dirt bikes though, and after a simple piston and rings they were all good. Just seems like no matter how good they run and sound for me, if its second hand there doomed.

2 strokes. They are always running their very best right before they pop! :shock:

There are not too many DLs that I know of that have been restored down to the replacement of the core so don't assume that more money means restored unless you see mine go for sale :D :mrgreen:

Charger 18 DL, 2.6L Yamaha

PostPosted: May 21st, 2016, 6:03 pm   

Thanks again all.

All the little tid bits of info help.

I think im going to invest in a compression tester. Something i should of owned decades ago.

My goal is to be on the water in 2016, doing 60ish in a cool outboard boat for 4k or less. I figure anything i get is gonna atleast need a tune up, or something.

And, ive never changed the ownership on a boat. Whats the cost(s) and loop holes there? Just go to normal car ministry office and bend over as usual? Is the trailer included, or does it need cert like a store bought one?

PostPosted: May 21st, 2016, 9:24 pm   
Team Member

The boat world and ownerships is hit and miss. If the guy you buy it from has the paper work he signs it over. If not you need to go to a notary and swear an oath that you are the true owner. It costs about $25 or so usually. Then with the paper work in hand from previous owner or notary you go to a service Canada centre and fill out their paper work and you are given your ownership. Technically you need it should the water cops ask for it.

And then you wait about 3 years and the province finally gets around to sending you a bill for the HST that you will owe :)

Trailers are easier and like a car - they have ownerships from the province so you take it in to a service Ontario desk to change it over and get a plate. It might need an inspection but I think Canadian Tire does them among others.

Charger 18 DL, 2.6L Yamaha

PostPosted: May 21st, 2016, 9:31 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

dubber wrote:
The boat world and ownerships is hit and miss. If the guy you buy it from has the paper work he signs it over. If not you need to go to a notary and swear an oath that you are the true owner. It costs about $25 or so usually. Then with the paper work in hand from previous owner or notary you go to a service Canada centre and fill out their paper work and you are given your ownership. Technically you need it should the water cops ask for it.

And then you wait about 3 years and the province finally gets around to sending you a bill for the HST that you will owe :)

Trailers are easier and like a car - they have ownerships from the province so you take it in to a service Ontario desk to change it over and get a plate. It might need an inspection but I think Canadian Tire does them among others.

Boat thing is totally different now jon..service Canada is complete out of the picture.

It's all online. I can send you a link from work. You need a bill of sale, your ID, and a picture of the side of the boat.

They may or may not send you a letter asking for tax money...

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: May 21st, 2016, 9:38 pm   

Thats what i thought on the trailer. Ive never had to get a trailer cert, due to all mine have been registered "homebuilt".

So, about $300-500 in taxes, and hoops to get through on a $3000-3500 boat on a trailer (before repairs/parts).

Good to know going into it.

PostPosted: May 21st, 2016, 9:43 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

No inspection on trailers bought and sold within Canada...only if you import it.

It's all straight forward...just value your trailer at $25 and the boat is the balance.

PostPosted: May 21st, 2016, 9:49 pm   

Thats much better then i was thinking. So, its just $25 to change to trailer ownership, and possibly a plate. The boat possibly free to change over. Nice.

PostPosted: May 21st, 2016, 10:02 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

If you buy the pkg for $4000....have the receipt broken down for 3 separate items.

Boat $500
Trailer $25
Outboard $3475.

License office will charge you tax on $25 for the trailer plus $59 for a new plate.

The feds may never ask for the tax on the $500 for the boat...and outboards are still a grey area..