It is currently April 27th, 2024, 2:12 pm

New here, and could use some advice

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 20th, 2016, 3:01 pm   

Hellooo,

Ive been lurking and reading as much as I can about outboard screamers. I guy i sold some machine shop equipment turned me to this site. He was real gun-ho about racing. I think he was into Tboats.
Ive been watching fast outboards scream by my cottage since i was born, and im middle aged now. Always wanted to get one of my own. Im not to versed in marine stuff, but really good at engine, metal fab, etc. I race Rock buggies, organize an event, and build em etc. Machinest by trade now, but worked in every aspect of vynil graphics industry prior. Ive driven boats since a small child, and done minor fixing here and there.

I like to drive, and like being thrilled/scared, so i was thinking a voodoo, or other small boat for my first with a goal of 60mph. Ive been in bigger bass boats, and others at 60ish and that was boring. Id rather be dancing, and working at 60. This is goal is mostly due to buget.

I stumbled on this ad.
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-motorb ... nFlag=true

Its more the. I want, but its in my price range. I here the older balsa ones are better, its got a v6 merc, and sounds/looks from ad to be well kept. If it is decent id be happy for a long time with it for sure. I cant tell what you guys can about the motor. How long does the mid look to you? Is that lower unit identifable? I dont mind mixing fuel. How do you think i should go about checking it out? If i get a chance to see, and it checks out on the trailer to be solid enough to buy, i will hopfully get to water test it. If not, i dont have muffs or comp tester.

From my reading and window shopping in the last year this seems to good to be true.

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: May 20th, 2016, 3:33 pm   
Drag Racing Sponsor

What kind of equipment did you sell? Just wondering if it was me lol

19' Laser 380 Ray (Future Project)

PostPosted: May 20th, 2016, 3:42 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

Those are the best years for build quality...but it's old and the transoms are balsa, which is fine for the small merc. IF its not rotten they are great boats for the money.

The merc is a 20" motor with a stock lower.

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: May 20th, 2016, 3:58 pm   

Thanks for the info! Ive combed over alot of restoration stories, and how to check moisture the best i can. Ill do my best. Im most concerned about the hull. Really dont want to do a core. Looks like absolute hell work.

The machines were tool grinders for specialized end mills, drills, contour bits. Dekel SO and some other one. I didnt/dont really know what they were. Just stuff i won in an auction at work.

I have more patiants then money, so theres a good chance that Charger wont come home if its full of cracks, and spongy. But, i hope i get to see it.

PostPosted: May 20th, 2016, 5:36 pm   
Drag Racing Sponsor

Yup, that was me. Used the deckel a few times. Works good.

19' Laser 380 Ray (Future Project)

PostPosted: May 20th, 2016, 6:13 pm   

Im glad you are happy with the machines, and my grammer spelling is horrid while on my phone at work.

PostPosted: May 20th, 2016, 6:17 pm   

The hood on the motor is from the late 70's or 80/81. The gear case looks to be the old style skeg. The boat appears to be in good shape but pictures can hide things. If the boat is solid and the motor runs well with good compression, I think its worth what hes asking. If it needs core I think your right by walking away, it is a big job to replace it.

PostPosted: May 20th, 2016, 6:51 pm   

yes, Id rather pay what it cost in materials for a core on top of 3500 then me buy and do it myself. I see alot of 18' Chargers asking 6kish, but they are probably restored and have nicer rigging in some cases.

Im at the point where im gonna stop dreaming, and start going and checking some out.

Always liked the look of the Viper. There is alot of Streams on my lake. I like that a viper does well with a range of hp. Could start with small motor and go up. Also like the Voodoo alot for its look an thrill at low hp cost, but its really small and one purpose. This Charger im looking into has alot going for it being just a cottage cruiser for me.

Thanks for futher identifying the cover etc. From my research, I gather the later 2.4 V6 is a better animal to live with then older 2.0 v6 merc stuff. The ad says its a early 90s v6, so i take it that would be a 2.4?

PostPosted: May 20th, 2016, 8:18 pm   

It should be a 2.4L but its old. Like before the prop shaft hp rating, it wont be making 200hp at the prop shaft its rated at the crankshaft

PostPosted: May 20th, 2016, 9:24 pm   

Ad says early 90's power head. Older covers. Oil injection has been removed.

Id be happy if it ran good, and could cruise at 60ish without blowing up the first run. I have had bad luck with alot of two smokes ive owned over the years. All dirt bikes though, and after a simple piston and rings they were all good. Just seems like no matter how good they run and sound for me, if its second hand there doomed.