It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:14 pm

BOAT RACE TALK....WHAT WE NEED TO CHANGE....AT OUR LEVEL

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 PostPosted: November 24th, 2017, 11:47 am   
Team Member

I was talking with a few people about the decline in interest in our sport. In the states they are seeing fewer entries and fewer events. The TOP National Events like APBA F1 can only field 4 or 5 true F1 boats in a field of 15. The rest of the boats are SST200 or SST120 boats.
The feeder system to the major events is GRASS ROOTS RACING. We must change at the grass roots level.

KEY FACTORS
I think interest and cost go hand and hand. The high cost of modern motors hurts. Younger people whose families are NOT currently involved in the sport lose interest very quickly once they get the initial interest bug. To them the equipment is old and requires too much time and effort to maintain. They like plug and play with a chance of reward and instant gratification.

That is the reason I am always promoting different classes and different ideas. If we do not have new classes then our boat counts will drop to the point where we do not have any races.

Keep doing things the same way and expect the same result!

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: November 24th, 2017, 12:22 pm   

I was under the impression from the Torc race in Haliburton that racing was alive and well. I'll admit I'm a complete noob to boat racing so I'm probably not seeing the big picture.

I will say that if #'s are whats lacking I think a 'True Lake' 'Real Lake' class would be a way to bring more people in. If it's on someones dock, and with little work and cost it can be run in a class it would be easier to get the numbers up. I'm talking either drag or roundy round. Maybe we're saying the same thing.

I know I've talked to a few OPBRA folks about a class for 3.L lake boats and the answer was 'If we get 4 or more committed boats we'll make a class' that's encouraging.

ISO Barefoot Sanger OB

PostPosted: November 24th, 2017, 6:29 pm   
User Requested 1 Month Ban - Denied

3L 1800 lbs seating for 3 minimum…

PostPosted: November 24th, 2017, 6:36 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

KAL Racing wrote:

No Dave bush motors :)

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: November 24th, 2017, 6:48 pm   

… plus a compression limit of 150 lbs and pump gas…plus some other stuff... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: November 24th, 2017, 6:51 pm   

DoktorC wrote:
KAL Racing wrote:

That is not a good rule Dok… but that is ok because I have a Top Gun motor… different !

PostPosted: November 24th, 2017, 6:56 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

KAL Racing wrote:
DoktorC wrote:
KAL Racing wrote:

That is not a good rule Dok… but that is ok because I have a Top Gun motor… different !

Youre good then...dodged a bullet there! Lol

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: November 24th, 2017, 7:56 pm   
Team Member

I remember a few years ago I thought boat racing was on the rise, drag was starting, t850 had like 10 boats, c hydro had 18 or something crazy. I was disappointed in gravenhurst this year, hydro classes seemed lacking, 3 boats in 850. I have always thought that organization is lacking at these events, as well as action between heats. There needs to be attraction for non high performance people to come to these races and stick around. I am involved with a team racing the NGK series in the states, and there boat racing looks to be on the rise, lots of spectators and interest. Its well organized and planned out, but what would you expect from a lifetime racer like Tim? There is attraction for everybody. Between heats there have been jet ski stunt guys, hover board stunts, vintage rigs, live music, food. The F1 class running a Texas 2.5 is where the action is now, always have over 15 boats, grass roots, to the Rinker's and Chris Fairchild. There are also big plans coming from promoters down there too.

Cost is a whole other issue too. Fast boats are exciting to watch, and going fast is expensive. Low buck classes can get more people in, but the slow action from those classes could lose spectators. But, if you could get a class, with 10 boats, on a tight course, that will bring excitement, Japanese stadium racing is a good example. Same boat, same engine, low cost.

Then think about how many guys here already have fast boats that there is no class for! Between my dad and I we have 6 boats that we don't have a class to race them in, either because of age, size, or engine choice.

This thread will be helpful, get the whole communities thoughts, work on this over the winter! I wanna see racing big in Canada like it was in the 70s!

Profile Send private message WWW  
 PostPosted: November 24th, 2017, 8:55 pm   
Team Member

A class I thought could get people interested is something with a home built boat, only one design, and common engine. A tunnel like this: http://www.svensons.com/boat/?p=Mechani ... ed/AquaRod with a v4 or inline 6 long shaft engine. Capable of I bet over 80mph, build it yourself and cheap engines. Perhaps not that specific design, maybe have a group of people design a boat and easy to follow plans.

Profile Send private message WWW  
 PostPosted: November 24th, 2017, 11:53 pm   
Team Member

TNT Teen wrote:
I remember a few years ago I thought boat racing was on the rise, drag was starting, t850 had like 10 boats, c hydro had 18 or something crazy. I was disappointed in gravenhurst this year, hydro classes seemed lacking, 3 boats in 850. I have always thought that organization is lacking at these events, as well as action between heats. There needs to be attraction for non high performance people to come to these races and stick around. I am involved with a team racing the NGK series in the states, and there boat racing looks to be on the rise, lots of spectators and interest. Its well organized and planned out, but what would you expect from a lifetime racer like Tim? There is attraction for everybody. Between heats there have been jet ski stunt guys, hover board stunts, vintage rigs, live music, food. The F1 class running a Texas 2.5 is where the action is now, always have over 15 boats, grass roots, to the Rinker's and Chris Fairchild. There are also big plans coming from promoters down there too.

You should've been in Peterborough for the inaugural OPBRA race.
Tight schedule.
Started on time.
Action packed.
Little (if any) down time between classes & heats.
Lots to do on land for spectators as well.
It was more then a race......
It was an event.
:mrgreen:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next