It is currently April 24th, 2024, 11:02 am

BOAT RACE TALK....WHAT WE NEED TO CHANGE....AT OUR LEVEL

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 PostPosted: November 26th, 2017, 11:19 am   
Team Member

Hey Guys, it's been a while since I have posted here. This is an interesting discussion. Here is my thoughts on boat racing in Ontario...

I have raced various classes from T750/T850 to various hydroplane classes. I have also considered drag racing, but I don't have a competitive formula boat to run yet.

There are so many racing options through TORC or OPBRA. If you really want to race, there are enough classes as it is. Many guys have tried racing and quickly realized they would rather rip around their local lake. Driving a race boat is not for everyone. New classes don't make sense to me unless our current classes are full.

I made it out to the Peterborough race for a few hours on the Sunday. That was a really well organized event! My family and I really enjoyed watching from the shore.

I don't believe we need new classes, we just need to build on what we already have. Just ask yourself "do I really want to race?" Give it a try. It may or may not be for you. If you like the atmosphere then come out and help. There us much support needed.

My 2 cents... Dave.

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: November 26th, 2017, 12:37 pm   
Team Member

In 2012 I only got one reply.
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=365&view=previous
his is from another site. We need to look at the list and make changes. Remember the USA is 10 times the population. We have made giant steps in many areas listed and we are moving forward and improving our sport here in ONTARIO CANADA.
Reasons
-No affordable new production factory motors for stock outboard (except for used Yamatos)
-No motor manufacturers' or robust APBA advertising campaigns about racing.
-Open exhausts now banned on most waters.
-Speeds limited on most waters
-Environmental restrictions on most waters.
-Some racers will not race in salt or rough water.
-Racing craft so specialized that most cannot be used for recreation as well.
-Many competing sports.
-Loss of good water close to populations of spectators
-Courses too far away from drivers homes
-Recession
-Massive job losses
-Loopholes in some stock classes that do not level competition where money= winning
-Loss of household wealth from real estate crash
-Need for modern fiberglass boats that are affordable
-Courses do not enhance spectator viewing/excitement: too long & far from viewing areas
-Conflict and infighting in APBA, clubs and classes
-Too may classes creating boring competition in most classes
-Under-representation in the media
-Ancient technology: such as no out-drives, use of rope or recoil starting and kneel-down
-High cost of racing travel and fees

Since then most of the major races have disappeared or got smaller. It is great to have OPBRA.
They want to put on EVENTS not just boat races.
At a TORC boat race it is the competitors and their families that are interested in the racing.
The majority of the people watching don't know enough about the sport to tell the difference between the classes.
SAME....SAME
They notice and are bothered by the delays . Most will not return.
From a cash flow point of view the TORC race can be profitable for the club provided there are enough racers and sponsors.
Sponsors are KEY to our sport.
By offering more of a show in the event...we improve our chances of more sponsors.

PostPosted: November 26th, 2017, 10:54 pm   
Team Member

From the 2012 list of reasons here are some up-dates
Reasons
-No affordable new production factory motors for stock outboard (except for used Yamatos)
In SO there is the sidewider...It costs over $5000.00 Canadian
Some outboard manufacturers have GREEN 15 inch models up to 30 hp. Tohatsu has a 50 hp as well.

-Racing craft so specialized that most cannot be used for recreation as well.
Not 100% true..Many Drag and T boats are used for recreation. But most are pure race boats in SO.

-Loopholes in some stock classes that do not level competition where money= winning
More often the racer at our level just doesn't care. If you have racers in the group that race at a higher level than the rest of the field
then the other racers have people to measure up to. Most of the top racers use club races for practice so they don't care. They want people to race against.

-Need for modern fiberglass boats that are affordable
The 76 cent Canadian dollar hurts any US purchase, but we are lucky to have new T boats as an example.

-Too many classes creating boring competition in most classes
Low boat counts hurt...I would add to many SIMILAR Classes are boring

-Under-representation in the media
We do get good coverage from races. I cannot remember the last time CBF helped us.

PostPosted: November 27th, 2017, 12:14 am   

Hounddog all your efforts and knowledge are so much appreciated! You do make a difference!! Now get Jim back in that critch at a OPBRA race and lets have fun again!! LOL

2019 Rossitter Critchfield SST60 EVINRUDE

PostPosted: November 27th, 2017, 7:40 am   
Team Member

craig737 wrote:
Hounddog all your efforts and knowledge are so much appreciated! You do make a difference!! Now get Jim back in that critch at a OPBRA race and lets have fun again!! LOL

Thanks for the kind words. Jim is a first time dad at 40 so his focus is on his daughter right now.

SO IF? I HAD CONTROL....THIS IS WHAT I WOULD DO

- I would talk to the 5 or 6 people in Ontario that have F1, SST 200 and SST 120 boats to see if they would come out to one of our races and put on a show or better still have a CBF/APBA race. MOST! young people have never seen these boats live. That will renew interest.

- I would have a 50 hp Tohatsu 4 stroke running on a tunnel running in T750.
https://boats-from-usa.com/sites/defaul ... -89864.jpg

- I would have 2 classes of Dinghy boats.....one 20 hp and 25 cubic inch max and the other 30 hp and 40 cubic max. Both classes have two people in the boat.

- I would have a 10 to 12 foot tunnel running 20 hp 4 strokes in Stock Outboard.
https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjAwWDgwMA== ... L/$_59.JPG
http://hmongbuy.net/video/-nHH_JnK8eQ

- I would get the Beer tent back

- I would have a hobby drag class where you can run anything. You punch in your ET and the start is adjusted accordingly. You
breakout....you lose.

-I would run both T750 and T850 in circle and drag provided there was time in the schedule.

-I would use drones that send live feed to your cell phone

- I would have cameras on the helmets

- I would have a series of race schools on Sunday morning and a free breakfast at every race event.

- I would have a RACERS only lucky draw each day for $100.00

- The first weekend you race there is no entry or CBF fees

- I would be at the Toronto Boat Show

Last edited by Hounddog on November 28th, 2017, 9:19 am, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: November 27th, 2017, 10:29 am   

You been following the posts for change in stock outboard on hydroracer? If it were up to me I would eliminate all the redundant classes, add heats and move on with the program. I know the argument against eliminating classes, entry fees. Well you adjust the fee according to how many heats you are running. Look what happened in 20SSH over here this past year. Huge drop off in participation. I suspect guys that use to run 20 are now running C and OSY over here. So why do we keep running 20? The Y80 has a place to race in B. Same with 25, why aren't they in with the C's? Same displacement motors should be racing with each other, maybe then drop the min. C hydro weight to 420 lbs. I remember the Merc Challenge Series days and there were some serious dollars involved. There was video coverage of the races and they were shown on TV with the Unlimited Hydroplane races. Look the videos up, very well done back then. When Mercury stopped the financial backing, 25 hydro and runabout were done and everyone went over to the Yamato. The 4 cylinder class should replicate the 750 Mod class where stock and mod engines run together competitively. Some of those sponsorship dollars should be supporting the race. I would work on getting the Tboat numbers back up. It is less expensive to purchase and run a Tboat than a tunnel and you can use it for recreation when you are not racing it. Tunnel boats are an expensive proposition, even if it is just 45SS. I know someone who raced tunnel, lot of money tied up and had to race in the states. In stock outboard there is a serious new engine shortage whether it be A, B or C. The races themselves should be tied to an event. People come down for festivals, etc. they see a boat race and you might get some new blood and interest out of that crowd, that's the only way you are going to get people down to a race these days.

PostPosted: November 27th, 2017, 12:48 pm   
Team Member

Houndog, your experience and forward thinking are key to survival and growth of racing in Ontario.
I, for one, thank you for putting your input out there for all of us to consider.

Please understand that OPBRA has and will always consider and appreciate your input!!

PostPosted: November 28th, 2017, 9:45 am   
Team Member

I was asked why there are not more 4 stroke motors racing.
There are several reasons
- the cost
- their weight
- their performance
Most racers will tell you its their performance that is the main reason.
There is not much difference between the stock 60 hp Mercury and the race model. The powerhead is the same.
The main problem is the rev limiter. All the current 4 stroke models max out at approx. 6300 rpm.
Raceboats by design get lighter the faster they go. They don't require as much horsepower at the higher speed. A stock commercial 2 stroke will turn 7000 rpm. The extra 700 rpm increases the top speed.
They don't like running a 4 stroke against a 2 stoke in the same class when they both have to run the same displacement.
Tom runs his 60 4 stroke Mercury in T750.
The class is VERY competitive.
If Tom runs a prop so he can accelerate with the OMC's then he hits the rev limiter on the straight and they catch him at the corner.
IF? he runs a larger wheel to get the top speed he needs then the boat does not accelerate fast enough.
When 4 strokes run alone there is no problem.

SO WHY WOULD I WANT TO RUN A 50 HP TOHATSU 4 STROKE ON A TUNNEL IN T750?
To show the difference between the V bottom and the Tunnel.
MANY people stay away from T class because they CANNOT drive the T boat.
ANYONE can drive a low horsepower tunnel!
This combo I hope would run 55 mph and be easy to drive.

WHAT WILL HAPPEN IN STOCK OUTBOARD ONCE TUNNELS APPEAR?
You will see more tunnels. It will not take long before SO racers put their current race motors on a tunnel. And you will see higher horsepower 15 inch 2 strokes on tunnels.

PostPosted: November 28th, 2017, 11:08 am   
Team Member

Hounddog wrote:
I was asked why there are not more 4 stroke motors racing.
There are several reasons
- the cost
- their weight
- their performance
Most racers will tell you its their performance that is the main reason.
There is not much difference between the stock 60 hp Mercury and the race model. The powerhead is the same.
The main problem is the rev limiter. All the current 4 stroke models max out at approx. 6300 rpm.
Raceboats by design get lighter the faster they go. They don't require as much horsepower at the higher speed. A stock commercial 2 stroke will turn 7000 rpm. The extra 700 rpm increases the top speed.
They don't like running a 4 stroke against a 2 stoke in the same class when they both have to run the same displacement.
Tom runs his 60 4 stroke Mercury in T750.
The class is VERY competitive.
If Tom runs a prop so he can accelerate with the OMC's then he hits the rev limiter on the straight and they catch him at the corner.
IF? he runs a larger wheel to get the top speed he needs then the boat does not accelerate fast enough.
When 4 strokes run alone there is no problem.

SO WHY WOULD I WANT TO RUN A 50 HP TOHATSU 4 STROKE ON A TUNNEL IN T750?
To show the difference between the V bottom and the Tunnel.
MANY people stay away from T class because they CANNOT drive the T boat.
ANYONE can drive a low horsepower tunnel!
This combo I hope would run 55 mph and be easy to drive.

WHAT WILL HAPPEN IN STOCK OUTBOARD ONCE TUNNELS APPEAR?
You will see more tunnels. It will not take long before SO racers put their current race motors on a tunnel. And you will see higher horsepower 15 inch 2 strokes on tunnels.

Don, I like some of the points you are making.
One thing though IF i had to buy a brand new motor to start racing when i did i never would have, because of cost, would i like to try a green motor (ETEC)yes i have always wanted to but $$$
And Toms 4 stroke dont forget at Gravenhurst he lead about 4-3/4 laps i think it was, he had the right prop on we were side by side with me on the outside, i went into the corner faster than i ever have to pass and Tom over trimmed on exit so i passed...IF he gets a short course prop to work..if he hasn't yet, then he will do well on the short course too( which is maybe were the limiter hurts)

#49 Triple C Racing
T750 Delta/ omc

Last edited by tunnelv on November 28th, 2017, 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: November 28th, 2017, 12:46 pm   

Just out of curiosity where are these tunnel boats coming from? You going to use a 45 or 60 hull, Mod VP style hull? The 45SST runs low to mid 80's (Kilo record 89+mph). By the way there's a lot more to driving a tunnel than you think. Also is air going to be mandatory? Safety cell? Capsule training? These are all current APBA standards. Tunnel racing is way down the radar screen these days, I don't hear much about it, especially the smaller classes. I vaguely remember the boats of old but can't remember the smaller classes, there was a 50hp class though. The question I have at this point is why the loss of interest in T boat racing? 3 or 4 boats does not make a race. These things seem to go in 5 year cycles.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next