It is currently April 23rd, 2024, 3:32 pm

BOAT RACE TALK....WHAT WE NEED TO CHANGE....AT OUR LEVEL

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 PostPosted: November 30th, 2017, 8:41 am   
Team Member

Thanks for your reply Craig. Thats first hand knowledge of what we are trying to do here. I think the sst 45 boat is a good platform. There seems to be quite a few used and cheap project boats around. There could be many engine options too. Mine would have either a short Yamaha pro50 or a short Merc 40 4cyl? One rule... no 2 cyl Omc's. They would dominate as we know. ;)

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: November 30th, 2017, 10:06 am   
Team Member

WalkWithMax wrote:
Thanks for your reply Craig. Thats first hand knowledge of what we are trying to do here. I think the sst 45 boat is a good platform. There seems to be quite a few used and cheap project boats around. There could be many engine options too. Mine would have either a short Yamaha pro50 or a short Merc 40 4cyl? One rule... no 2 cyl Omc's. They would dominate as we know. ;)

i can make a two cylinder fit under a pro50 cowl no worries

PostPosted: November 30th, 2017, 10:57 am   
Team Member

i think you'd want a toaster there WalkWithMax! its admitted in this post i copied off BRF the Yamaha cant keep up.. i also assume this boat is bigger than Don is talking about even with the capsule out of it. I cant get the pic to attach to go to post 56 here ....

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/s ... tor!/page6

Hey Jeff: Good to see Tohatsu back on the racing scene. I raced for Tohatsu of Japan from 1993-1999. We started the Formula 50 Class in APBA. It began as all manufacturers STOCK 50hp motors of 45 or less cubic inches. We were allowed a nosecone on our stock gearcases, and a 1" or less hole in the exhaust portion of the gearcase. Could not have a scratch inside the block. As the Class progressed, the Yamaha's were given several advantages to attempt to help them stay up with the Tohatsu. They never accomplished their goal and the class died off about 1996. Here is a shot of the last boat I had built for the class. Not sure how you guys are running, I managed to run 82.7 mph with this YEEEHA tunnel. This was the second generation YEEEHA, it led to the demise of the class. This boat was 13 mph faster than my original. The original was about 3-5 mph faster than the Yamaha's on the exact same hulls. I went through 7 powerheads the first year, spun crankshafts. The second year, 1994, I was allowed to tack weld the cranks, it was all over then.

#49 Triple C Racing
T750 Delta/ omc

PostPosted: November 30th, 2017, 11:03 am   
Team Member

LittleCharger wrote:
i can make a two cylinder fit under a pro50 cowl no worries

Very funny Paul!!

Jeremy, that's good info. The stock Tohatsu sounds like a good idea. I didn't realize the pro50 won't keep up.

PostPosted: November 30th, 2017, 12:14 pm   
Team Member

This is what you have after you cut the top of the cell off an SST 45. The only difference between the boats in the picture and your boat, yours would still have the lower portion of the of the safety cell from the SST 45.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/7e/54/98 ... c0ea46.jpg

Our current D hydro's have no cell. If you had the option of kneel down or sit you would get some SO racers interested as well.
The cell would offer more protection if the driver was kneeling. One would think CBF would like this boat. Current D hydro racers may not.
Once they run a tunnel new people would not to race a hydro.
Would TORC be interested? If they were CBF would approve it.

We currently have a D Tohatsu in TORC
http://www.torc.ca/uploads/1/1/7/5/1175 ... 227b_1.jpg

For the smaller 11 to 12 foot tunnel we can get some ideas from this tunnel. It has a smaller tunnel bottom. With the sides lowered like a current hydro and the nose shortened it would be a good boat to try.
http://hydroracer.net/forums/filedata/fetch?id=362488

PostPosted: November 30th, 2017, 12:53 pm   
Team Member

some other thoughts...isnt it a shame to cut up a 45 boat? when it could be raced here (if there were divers) AND raced in the USA.
IF there is a D that has a 50 Tohastu isnt it almost the same thing?
what would it take to help the 850 class/ mind you there was enough at the OPBRA race if they contiune to come out.
also adding another class ya it all looks cool..maybe it will add interest, but a T can be more multi use if need be.at the lake, same with the thundercat
i always thought these little boats would be neat to race . a OLD 30 Hp is cheap..
http://www.dillon-racing.com/gt-pro/index.htm

i guess im cheap and not green! :roll:

#49 Triple C Racing
T750 Delta/ omc

PostPosted: November 30th, 2017, 1:17 pm   
Team Member

[quote="tunnelv"]some other thoughts...
isnt it a shame to cut up a 45 boat? when it could be raced here (if there were divers) AND raced in the USA.
-People up here do not want to race SST 45 and they do not want celled boats.

IF there is a D that has a 50 Tohastu isnt it almost the same thing?
- the D Tohatsu is the bass race motor....the tunnel would run the 15 inch stock motor.

what would it take to help the 850 class/ mind you there was enough at the OPBRA race if they contiune to come out.
also adding another class ya it all looks cool..maybe it will add interest, but a T can be more multi use if need be.at the lake, same with the thundercat
- a composite small tunnel is a multi use boat same as a T boat.

i always thought these little boats would be neat to race . a OLD 30 Hp is cheap..
http://www.dillon-racing.com/gt-pro/index.htm
i guess im cheap and not green!
- Nothing wrong with the dillon boats....the motors they run are newer than most of the SO motors.
You could buy a used SST 45 and modify it and buy a short shaft 50 hp OMC for less money than it would cost you to build the Dillon boat and buy a 30 hp OMC. THAT IS CHEAPER!

PostPosted: November 30th, 2017, 2:32 pm   

:) Hi Gang, New classes are great, but shouldn't we be concentrating on expanding the classes we currently have? ie: T-750 & 850?

PostPosted: November 30th, 2017, 3:02 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

hec2buck wrote:
:) Hi Gang, New classes are great, but shouldn't we be concentrating on expanding the classes we currently have? ie: T-750 & 850?

Bingo..

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: November 30th, 2017, 4:08 pm   
Team Member

DoktorC wrote:
hec2buck wrote:

Bingo..

This was my original comment, but I don't think it hurts to talk about new ideas in the off season. We have been talking about the idea of a small tunnel class for years. I think the T class is great, but that crazy chine walking ain't for everybody. Racing isn't for everybody either. It's a lot of fun, but a lot of work too! Maybe start a new thread or a make a Facebook page dedicated to Vee bottom racing? I would love to see all classes grow. Many of the hydro classes have also declined. Some have grown too. Another 2 cents...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next