It is currently March 29th, 2024, 6:14 am

BOAT RACE TALK....WHAT WE NEED TO CHANGE....AT OUR LEVEL

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 PostPosted: November 30th, 2017, 4:22 pm   
Team Member

DoktorC wrote:
hec2buck wrote:
:) Hi Gang, New classes are great, but shouldn't we be concentrating on expanding the classes we currently have? ie: T-750 & 850?

Bingo..

Guy's I have spend years promoting T750 and T850. I will continue to do so. This thread is about the big picture. The list of reasons why our sport is declining posted was not my list. It came from concerned APBA members. That list was done in 2012. The sport has continued to decline.
Reasons
-No affordable new production factory motors for stock outboard (except for used Yamatos)
-No motor manufacturers' or robust APBA advertising campaigns about racing.
-Open exhausts now banned on most waters.
-Speeds limited on most waters
-Environmental restrictions on most waters.
-Some racers will not race in salt or rough water.
-Racing craft so specialized that most cannot be used for recreation as well.
-Many competing sports.
-Loss of good water close to populations of spectators
-Courses too far away from drivers homes
-Recession
-Massive job losses
-Loopholes in some stock classes that do not level competition where money= winning
-Loss of household wealth from real estate crash
-Need for modern fiberglass boats that are affordable
-Courses do not enhance spectator viewing/excitement: too long & far from viewing areas
-Conflict and infighting in APBA, clubs and classes
-Too may classes creating boring competition in most classes
-Under-representation in the media
-Ancient technology: such as no out-drives, use of rope or recoil starting and kneel-down
-High cost of racing travel and fees

Bottom line is we are not attracting new people. Change takes time and commitment. If we never start then nothing changes.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO TO EXPAND THE CLASSES WE CURRENTLY HAVE INCLUDING T750 and T850???

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: November 30th, 2017, 4:45 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

WalkWithMax wrote:
DoktorC wrote:
hec2buck wrote:
:) Hi Gang, New classes are great, but shouldn't we be concentrating on expanding the classes we currently have? ie: T-750 & 850?

Bingo..

This was my original comment, but I don't think it hurts to talk about new ideas in the off season. We have been talking about the idea of a small tunnel class for years. I think the T class is great, but that crazy chine walking ain't for everybody. Racing isn't for everybody either. It's a lot of fun, but a lot of work too! Maybe start a new thread or a make a Facebook page dedicated to Vee bottom racing? I would love to see all classes grow. Many of the hydro classes have also declined. Some have grown too. Another 2 cents...

Talking about new ideas is great and it keeps the conversation about racing going which is important. All of us that do race need to keep engaged and continue to race! I love the idea of a Sport C style class and I love the idea of Tinny racing.

I just would like to see some of the T guys get back in their boats (which most still own) and come back out to race. Moving the focus away from T's and onto tunnels or tinnies won't help the perception of diminished interest in the class.

I'd love to race all of it...i tried Paul's hydro at Halliburton and loved it. If you want to race there's a class for you today...no question. We just need to get butts in the seats.

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: November 30th, 2017, 5:05 pm   
Team Member

DoktorC wrote:
Talking about new ideas is great and it keeps the conversation about racing going which is important. All of us that do race need to keep engaged and continue to race! I love the idea of a Sport C style class and I love the idea of Tinny racing.

I just would like to see some of the T guys get back in their boats (which most still own) and come back out to race. Moving the focus away from T's and onto tunnels or tinnies won't help the perception of diminished interest in the class.

I'd love to race all of it...i tried Paul's hydro at Halliburton and loved it. If you want to race there's a class for you today...no question. We just need to get butts in the seats.

I think we are on the same page Rick. Like Don said, how can we build the T class back up? I think we have seen some growth this year even though we have lost guys over the years. It's hard to force people to commit.

PostPosted: November 30th, 2017, 5:24 pm   
Team Member

Thanks for the posts Dok & Dave.... WE WILL GET T BACK!!

I had not thought about a D SO tunnel until it came up in this thread. It could be the only suggestion that TORC looks at. The feature SO race speed wise at a TORC race is the D class hydro's. We have a few D stock, a few Mod D and a couple of Mod C hydro's. They group them and call it the GP Class. That race is a mixed bag already. You would need 3 D SO tunnels to make it interesting. Would it work?? If it does then by having them in that group it is not an additional race to fit in the schedule and it is a race not just a demonstration.

As for my suggestion to have the small 20 hp tunnel. It would not be another class. They could run with the junior classes. So instead of having 3 boats run on the course we have 6 boats. NOW add a 20 hp V hull to the group and you have 9 boats! Does this hurt other classes? No it gets more young people interested... more options. They can move to higher classes in a year or two.
The V could be a dillon hull....
http://www.dillon-racing.com/customerbo ... ges/11.jpg

PostPosted: November 30th, 2017, 11:21 pm   

Just saying. I'm bringing 2 850s and a 750 to the races and just got home after taking a friend to buy Mercrazy's 850! Since Peterborough my goal is to fill 750 and 850! They're coming back says me!! lol

2019 Rossitter Critchfield SST60 EVINRUDE

PostPosted: November 30th, 2017, 11:25 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

craig737 wrote:
Just saying. I'm bringing 2 850s and a 750 to the races and just got home after taking a friend to buy Mercrazy's 850! Since Peterborough my goal is to fill 750 and 850! They're coming back says me!! lol

Ok...we got that solved.

On to the tunnels....where's my Tohatsu at??

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: December 1st, 2017, 12:33 am   
Team Member

Great news Craig for T Class. Someone should contact Larry Everett. Rob Scythes and I put together a Marty B open style Critchfield for him. over 6 years ago. It has a 56 OMC on it. He NEVER ran it. He put it in storage. It is centre steer, ready to run. It has a bench wood seat, Larry likely has the bucket seat as well. He also has a T750 OMC he was thinking of having his daughter run T750 a few years ago he asked me if I would set up the boat for her. I said I would. He still has not got back to me.

PostPosted: December 1st, 2017, 11:17 am   

I think a tunnel class will small power would entice a new crop of young racers. However, two questions arise in so doing; first can we add the tunnels to the TORC racing events? It seems they can barely get the current schedule run in the time allotted. Secondly, I believe that the young racers will want to graduate to higher power tunnels or put bigger power on existing tunnels. I don't think they will graduate to the T boats. That said, we will have further time scheduling problems at the TORC events. In APBA, all of the Sport C racers ended up graduating to SST-45 & SST-60, or higher yet. That was back when EP class was alive and well.

PostPosted: December 1st, 2017, 4:49 pm   
Team Member

I think the key for a successful future in our sport is the ability to be flexible. To date we have not been flexible and basically stuck with the old format. This thread has a lot of posts so I started two others. One looking for a Tunnel and one about a GT30 T boat. My ideas are aimed at the early teens ENTRY levels. The three additional boats......small tunnel......dinghy.........TBoat would ALL race in the same heat with J hydro if possible.
I think it is important to have the 4 classes at every event. The different options will attract teens.

OK HERE IS THE MOVIE:

A teen and their parents are walking thru the Toronto Boat Show. They see a booth...There are 4 small boats.. hydro, dinghy, tunnel and T boat as part of the display. Smart looking boats with interesting motors. They talk to racers at the booth. Get information and video links. The videos hold interest until they go to a race that summer.

Saturday they watch the race. The drone coverage of the race adds to the enjoyment. They learn on Saturday that at 8 am Sunday there is a race Class education session and free breakfast. They go to that and find out about the free first time racer weekend and the opportunity to drive or be the passenger with a parent in a dinghy boat. The education session also tells them about being part of the Club support team. We get their e-mail addresses and forward interesting up dates.

The movie has a happy ending.

PostPosted: December 1st, 2017, 5:36 pm   

what about www.haulinnassraseboats.com he makes a 11foot tunnell for 3 grand capable of 40mph with a 30 hp.Maybe to much money for the boat to start racing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next