It is currently April 29th, 2024, 4:18 am

Vwfreak needs help..

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 8th, 2018, 1:38 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

I took this from Scott's Facebook. I think we all know Scott is a stand up guy...if you don't know...take my word that he is. I don't know the guy who didn't pay but someone here might...if you do please help the guy do the right thing. I can't imagine having a boat built for my kid then not paying for it...then selling the damn thing unused. Someone needs an ethics lesson.

From FB:

Dear internet friends.. Help! I am apparently building and selling my boats now for $580..

Sad that it has to come to this but I am asking for advise and also my boating community friends to lean on a certain individual to pay his bill rather than refuse and reply to my texts with immature retorts and instructed to send my lawyer his number..

I was commissioned to build a mini max for this awesome kid I'd met a drag race event in Peterborough, last Sept. His original boat looked very similar but was rotten beyond any reasonable repair. So I agreed to build a new one at no cost for my time, travel, or financing the build itself.

During the early stages of "Project Pay it Forward" I spoke to Noah's Marine about the build. They agreed to apply a discount to any of the materials used for this non-profit build. In exchange they only asked that there be sponsor type decals applied to the finished hull and some pictures of the completed boat to possibly be used for things like their annual catalogue.

The boat was completed and picked up the Saturday before the long weekend and was to be a surprise for the little dude. He knew his old boat was at my shop, but had no idea he was getting a properly built and way better new boat entirely. Was a bit disappointed not to see the look on his face but I'd have to settle for some pictures at a later date instead.

Dad and Grandpa picked up both the boats and headed home with them. I had a gentleman's agreement with the Dad for the build and didn't feel it was appropriate to discuss the final build cost in front of his family. I now regret that decision very much..

I waited a week for a picture, some feed back. Good/bad, but nothing.. This past Saturday I sent a text to follow up with the remaining build cost and inquire about some pictures and feedback. Nothing...

Build cost came to just over $1200 with the discounts that Noah's Marine applied. I was wired $580 in December to compensate me for my funds tied up to that point. The remaining costs for carbon fibre, multiple litres of East System resin, paint, primer, clear coat, stainless fasteners, brushes, sand paper, etc, etc, etc.. came out to a further. $630

Aware that the carbon was a further estimated $150 alone for the raw material on top of the $580 he'd paid, the Dad gave me the go ahead for the carbon knowing that carbon doesn't apply itself and the boat still needed a lot more resin, sanding, primer, paint and clear coat.

It's currently sitting at a marina for sale and unused in the Kawartha's for hundreds less than it cost me to build. The kid's dad has zero intentions of paying and made threats of cutting it in half. OR I could pay him $580 and take it back. My faith in humanity isn't good right now. Somehow I've been made out to be the bad guy in this whole deal.

All I want is the $630 I have in to the materials, so I can go away on another skateboard trip to Cuba and take a bag of stuff for my Cuban pals next month. Now not sure if I can afford to go now. Why do I try to do nice things for people?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR_o9e1iqfg

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: August 8th, 2018, 3:22 pm   
Team Member

Ahhhhhhh Hell no!

Who screws Scott? Whoever you are,,,,, You suck.

If any of you guys are "friends" with this dude, and stand idly by. DO something.

PostPosted: August 8th, 2018, 5:18 pm   

Thanks for the support guys! *More chicken strips and cookies for you next time we cross paths Mitch*

So, I've been asked a lot. "Why do I do this for zero profit repeatedly?" Listen to this giggle from my 40+ year old buddy last summer. That's all the payment for my time and labor I'll ever ask.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zEp8TDLrG8

PostPosted: August 8th, 2018, 6:59 pm   
Team Member

Is this family in Peterborough? PM me....

PostPosted: August 8th, 2018, 8:14 pm   
Team Member

Let’s get this assholes name!
.....what I’d like to know is what does the little kid think of this deal....?
Does he know that his dad is selling the boat you built for him?
......what a stool sample.
Scott, you’re a stand up guy.
Remember.....it’s called Karma and it’s pronounced “Hahaha....Fuck You!”
/;-)

PostPosted: August 8th, 2018, 8:27 pm   
User Requested 1 Month Ban - Denied

:( Feel for ya VW… but I think we all can agree that we feel bad for the Kid too... :cry:
Ya he's a real piece... :shock:

PostPosted: August 11th, 2018, 12:03 am   

Yeah his name would be good, there are lots of Hpbc members and friends in the Kawarthas.

Matt

PostPosted: August 11th, 2018, 8:23 am   

I don't even know Scott but doing something for cost to help a kid get into a sport and off the couch gets my vote every time. Shame the kid doesn't have a dad as nice as Scott. Hell he has to be a good guy with an Avatar like that .

ISO Barefoot Sanger OB

PostPosted: September 6th, 2018, 11:44 pm   

Hi guys. Thanks for the support! I've typed out a reply here more than once and then deleted it. Figured I'd wait and cool off a bit before I did.

It's a shitty deal. The guy's name is John Tucker and is a friend of Brent's. I figured he'd come around after I posted what I did on Facebook as a warning shot across his bow. It did result in a further $300 deposited into my account but I'm still out $300+

It gets a bit worse. Brent got dragged into this. I had agreed to build the boat for the cost of materials only. In exchange, the kid's father was going to take my templates for my 8ft tunnel to Brent to be turned in to a CAD file. I was lead to believe that the kid's father would deal with Brent for his time spent with the CAD work. I'm being polite in saying it that way.. "Brent owes me a lot of favors" is what I was told and I didn't have to worry about it. Well.. turns out Brent was left in the dark about this and douche bag dad kinda screwed us both..

In an attempt to keep this from turning very ugly, Brent agreed to donate his approx 3 hours of CAD work, as I also had some 80+ hours into this gong show that I'd lost too. Sadly at this point, my shop space is no longer and I have no use for the CAD stuff currently. I guess I could make some R/C boats to keep sane this winter..

The douche bag dad will be at the Peterborough drags. I had planned to be there to display a few of the boats I've built, but am going to pass this year now.

PostPosted: September 6th, 2018, 11:49 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

What a dick...

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...