It is currently April 27th, 2024, 7:04 pm

BEST WAY TO RIG A NON RACING T BOAT

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 10th, 2020, 4:50 pm   
Team Member

These are my suggestions, others will have different maybe better solutions.
The problems:
- multiple transom hole drilling with different replacement motors.
- old power trim systems
- set-back and negative trim ability
- dependable and safe steering
- easy motor removal and install
- the advantage of only needing to do it once

I really like the CMC PT130 model power trim and with a few mods it works well for this application.
- it is also your set back
- disassemble it...re- position and drill the pivot bolts about 2 inches lower on the front bracket....that will enable you to rise that bracket up to give the extra transom height...cut out and shape that portion of the bracket so you have open space on the back plate...this will give you space for the steering cables and space to mount the cable steering brackets on to the plate. You can cut and remove extra material out of the bracket to reduce weight and you can cut the side brackets more on an angle to provide negative trim. When mounted on the boat you have a universal bracket with setback, power trim and you can attach a trim gauge or trim cable to the bracket.

I like dual rack style steering and especially opposing dual steering ( one cable from each side)
Mentioned above....attach the dual steering brackets to the inside of the CMC bracket...you need two steering brackets...one transom mount and one sleeved mount...you will not be using the steering tube on the motor.....big advantage...steering and motor move as a unit and cables don’t twist....outboard does not require power trim....very easy to remove and install motors

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: December 18th, 2020, 8:53 pm   

One of the best options for an old school Voodoo, if you are using a long shaft (20in) motor and want a surfacing prop is the Vance Mfg 3" manual jack plate. It has a built in rise, as well as being height adjustable. You don't want much setback with a Voodoo.. maybe almost none! 3 inches might be as good as you are going to get while still having adjust-ability, unless you start looking at really custom or special options.

Then, if you need more negative trim (tuck in to get on plane) you can add the neg 5 deg wedges that are available..

I used this setup on my Voodoo and it was great. Boat handled better without the wedges, which created more setback.

I think for the new style Voodoos, the same jack plate is good for short shaft motors.

One issue that wasn't a big deal was that to get the transom bolts in to it, it had to be disassembled (I wanted the nuts inside the boat, bolt heads in the jack plate). Also Some clearances are tight where the height adjustment bolts and engine mount bolts are in close proximity. That's the price you pay for such a small setback and adjust-ability. I also shaved off a bit of the top of the rear part to gain access to preferred mounting holes - to try and mount a motor as low as possible for a fully submerged prop.

1980 Thundercraft v142 Restored

Last edited by mattmak on December 19th, 2020, 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: December 18th, 2020, 9:03 pm   

For an old style Voodoo and a short shaft motor, the setback plates I've seen that work are custom..
One of the reasons is that to get the prop shaft to a good height for a surfacing prop, the tilt tube of the motor will need to be lower than the top of the transom.

I made one that has neg 5 deg built in, and has clearance for a Yamaha Pro50 mid/brackets. So the tilt tube of the Pro50 mid is below the top of the transom, but setback enough just to barely be clear of the transom (want to keep the motor as close to the boat as possible). Total Setback is around 4 in, maybe a bit less.

I think the one that was on the yellow Pete K / Zac S Voodoo is also custom made - I once saw a good photo of it with a Yamarude 3cyl mounted...

I've also seen transoms cut down even shorter than the factory 1inch shorter transom that came after the original transom, so that short shaft motors' trans brackets fit, or so short shaft motors can be mounted directly to the transom without setback.

Last edited by mattmak on December 19th, 2020, 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: December 19th, 2020, 11:21 am   
Team Member

A VooDoo already has 4 inches of set back built into the boat, so even adding any additional set-back makes a difference in handling.
John Beer "THE PROP SHOP" was a very smart and creative man. In 1988 he made up a aluminum bracket that bolted onto the VooDoo's transom and around the drain hole, this bracket extended the hulls bottom over the notch and 1/2 inch pass the transom. You see this done today on drag boats.

PostPosted: December 19th, 2020, 11:46 am   

Added photos above.

I don't mind the setback on the lake - setups pictured above are really fun on the lake.
But tight cornering in others' waves is better with less setback.

PostPosted: December 19th, 2020, 2:43 pm   
Team Member

A couple lightweight setups
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nrw5ATsAZLYeFzWG7

Profile Send private message WWW  
 PostPosted: December 19th, 2020, 7:45 pm   

Erik Lipstick runs a setback on his pos voodoo...seems to work

PostPosted: December 19th, 2020, 8:19 pm   

define "work"...

old Hooky McHookface is what they call that boat... at least that's the giggling I've heard from a distance.. :P

PostPosted: December 20th, 2020, 3:11 pm   
Team Member

mattmak wrote:
define "work"...

old Hooky McHookface is what they call that boat... at least that's the giggling I've heard from a distance.. :P

:lol: :lol: :lol: 8-) :lol:

PostPosted: December 20th, 2020, 4:41 pm   
Team Member

I had no jack plate with my non race VooDoo. The top of the bullet was even with the bottom of the pad. No planing problems with round ear props (3).