It is currently April 27th, 2024, 2:51 pm

Un rigged weight of a Vandal

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 8th, 2021, 10:39 pm   

Gidday, I have finally finished restoring my Hydrostream Vandal. I had a good build thread going, but Tinypic screwed the pics.

I was wondering what you all think of the un-rigged weight. It at 340 lbs with no hardware except two rear transom eyes, and the bow eye.

The Hydrostream website list it as an 450 lbs boat, estimated. I built it back the way Pipkorn did except with some transom knees, epoxy, and I bagged the core. I didn’t skimp on resin imo, but this is my first boat restoration.

What do you guys think? Is 340 lbs a pig for such a boat? Has anyone weighed a Viper un rigged? It’s a bit more slender and sleeker then a viper, but it’s close in size. Maybe a Ventura would be closer.

It should rig out to about 800 lbs with the v4 crossflow, dual cable steering, jack plate, and interior.

What is a lite, or heavy lake boat in the 15-16 ft category? I have know clue. I’m new.

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: January 9th, 2021, 9:53 am   
Team Member

You are going to be on the light side imo. Not extremely light, but certainly not a pig. One member here built a 15' Allison with a short mid 245, weighed in around 1000 lbs. My 16' Hydrostream was gutted, 20" 2.4 weighed 1330 with me in it, full of fuel, all race equipment on board

PostPosted: January 9th, 2021, 3:58 pm   

Thanks for the insight. That definitely helps me understand more about building a boat. It’s hard to read about all the pro boat builders being so calculated. I didn’t spend a lot of time scraping up every last bit of excess out of fabric lams, or measure exact amounts for fabric weight.

I just didn’t want a dry layup anywhere like I saw when I cut this boat apart. I thought I possibly put 10-20 lbs extra resin compared to what it was from the factory. I was very surprised to weight in under 400 lbs.

Seeing that new Delta come in at 214lbs makes more sense now. I’d estimate my boat is about a 1/3 bigger.

PostPosted: January 9th, 2021, 7:16 pm   
Team Member

idvette wrote:
You are going to be on the light side imo. Not extremely light, but certainly not a pig. One member here built a 15' Allison with a short mid 245, weighed in around 1000 lbs. My 16' Hydrostream was gutted, 20" 2.4 weighed 1330 with me in it, full of fuel, all race equipment on board

Mikey’s bare hull with steering was 372 lbs.
Boat ran 106 mph......on a string.....

PostPosted: January 9th, 2021, 8:01 pm   
Team Member

Northbase wrote:
idvette wrote:

It was a great running boat for sure. When he was on the hook at Gravenhurst I thought he was between 900-1000 lbs race weight. I could be wrong though, it's happened before lol

PostPosted: January 10th, 2021, 10:38 am   
Team Member

idvette wrote:
Northbase wrote:
idvette wrote:

It was a great running boat for sure. When he was on the hook at Gravenhurst I thought he was between 900-1000 lbs race weight. I could be wrong though, it's happened before lol

Yeah race weight (me in the boat) with a good chunk of fuel in it was 992. Like Greg said - bare weight hull with steering was 372. Working that backwards the fully rigged hull, no fuel would be somewhere in the 775# range. It was great on the lake when you could roll into the power and was very well balanced so it handled like it was on a string, but when you stood on it during a drag race it was a combination of too light/too short for the amount of power. If it was a bit longer but the same weight or a bit heavier at the same length it would have been a weapon. Hardest part was figuring out where to add weight in a 15' boat lol