It is currently April 23rd, 2024, 12:13 pm

1988 Charger STV Project

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 PostPosted: February 9th, 2017, 6:24 am   

looks good! I also did mine with balsa and marine ply. I added a couple of bulkheads under the floor and huge knees at the back that tied down in the core. it was my first build and i over-did it a bit. but it worked well!

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: February 9th, 2017, 9:12 am   
Team Member

Thanks guys! I'm no stranger the the rebuilds now and it seems like each time I do them they keep getting better, or at the very least I guess you could say they are becoming easier. I'm hoping that within the next 2 weeks the knees and bulkhead should all be done and glassed in, quickly going to flip the boat to buff and clean all the bottom since that can't be done when its on the trailer, and then its off to rigging it all - which at least I think is the fun part.

PostPosted: February 21st, 2017, 1:12 pm   
Team Member

The major hurdle is finally completed. As of last night got the rest of the main components all fiberglassed in. At this point the only thing that may need to be done is a small piece here or there just for rigging purposes, but as far as I am concerned the fiberglassing is done. The boat should be getting flipped on the cradle tonight so I can properly clean and buff all the bottom and just fix a couple of small spots to make it all perfect, then it should be able to go back on the trailer to get carpet and rigging.

From how it was before I changed the design to make it more functional and more aestheically pleasing. The knees in the back are glassed the whole way along and come out just over 4 feet from the transom of which the rear seat will rest on, plus lots of added strength from the extended bracing. On the sides, rather than just putting in a square block to support the deck I added some shape to them, so I can mount the shifter a little bit further forward and out of the way of the seat and the drivers legs, plus it gives me some space to add in a small glovebox, or even just a cup holder if I wanted to add one in, neither of which the boat had before. The bulkhead in the front used to be a solid piece which didn't make much sense because it was impossible to ever get up to the front of the boat to access the bow eye or the lights. By cutting it out I can now get up there and do whatever I need to do, but I left it wide enough to not sacrifice any strength.

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2017, 4:38 pm   

Nice. Are you using Epoxy or Polyester Resin?

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2017, 5:55 pm   
Team Member

hec2buck wrote:
Nice. Are you using Epoxy or Polyester Resin?

Epoxy Resin. I've used polyester on the other ones and I don't think I would go back to using it. The lack of smell, the longer working times, and the cleaner finish (IMO at least) all make the epoxy worth it.

PostPosted: February 28th, 2017, 11:14 pm   

Looking good! Did you use 1/2 5/8 for the floor, hard to tell but looks sturdy!

PostPosted: March 1st, 2017, 12:07 am   
Team Member

I used the 1/2" Meranti - The 5/8" IMO would have been overkill, but it is definitely solid to say the least.

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2017, 10:56 pm   

Very Nice Mike ;)

Profile Send private message WWW  
 PostPosted: March 21st, 2017, 9:49 am   
Team Member

I've got all the carpet installed now. Really really helps clean things up and gives it a finished look. I've got the seat bases lowered in the boat as well which is nice because it makes you feel like you're sitting in the boat now rather than on it, and I've modified the side deck supports. The boat never had any sort of console or cup holders or anything so I've built those in now which you can see in the pics. I think by doing them all in the carpet like they are done gives it a "from factory" type of appearance.

PostPosted: March 21st, 2017, 4:15 pm   

Nice!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next