It is currently May 3rd, 2024, 12:53 pm

1980 Fiberton Resto

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: July 29th, 2013, 2:18 pm   

DoktorC wrote:
Here's the like...

Don't be afraid to post the build details too!

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicle ... Z507542619

Thank you for posting my Fibertron for sale. I'm flexible in the price. Make me a reasonable offer anyone.
All the materials add up so fast but most of it is the hours and hours of labour sanding not to mention the price of sand paper is crazy. The results are far metter then paint and if looked after will never have to be redone again.

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: July 29th, 2013, 2:31 pm   
Team Member

opmope wrote:
p man wrote:
Looks good
Did you spray the gel yourself or have it done?

Yes I did all the Gel myself. It does take two people though the way I do it. While I was spraying my father was cleaning the gun and filling the pots. You only have so much time before to spray before the gun kicks.

I'd be real interested to hear more about this process.
I am always toying with the idea of re-gelcoating my hull. how much did you have to reduce with a pressure pot to get a good finish. What type of gel?

PostPosted: July 29th, 2013, 2:52 pm   

p man wrote:
opmope wrote:
p man wrote:
Looks good
Did you spray the gel yourself or have it done?

Yes I did all the Gel myself. It does take two people though the way I do it. While I was spraying my father was cleaning the gun and filling the pots. You only have so much time before to spray before the gun kicks.

I'd be real interested to hear more about this process.
I am always toying with the idea of re-gelcoating my hull. how much did you have to reduce with a pressure pot to get a good finish. What type of gel?

Do not know the type of Gel. Just know it is not toolin Gel. Tell my supplier what I'm doing and he gets all the stuff I need. I have the pressure set quit high based on what my compressor capabilities. 32 PSI then would drop to 22 PSI. The compressor could not recover fast enough so it would be constantly running. The finish would come out very orange peely. That's why all the sanding. My gel was quit thick too. I use a 2.5 tip on my gun. Now when I did the metalic??? It was smooth because of the clear coat 50/50 gel mixture was so much thinner.
This is just a hobby. We owned a marina for 17 years but just tinkered with fiberglass. By no means am I a professional.
If you go to the Sidewinder website, seach 14' Sidewinder Resto, I have all the mixing and full detailed description of the gel process.

PostPosted: July 29th, 2013, 3:38 pm   

opmope wrote:
BoomerMuskoka wrote:
post some pics of the winder,, you did a wicked job on that gel.., glws of the fiberton ,

Here the photo bucket link to the Sidewinder I did last spring.

http://s44.photobucket.com/user/opmope/ ... 3080925318

i love how you did the stripes deliberately like a drunken sailor,, in my eyes it looks perfect..

19' tempest picklefork 84 mod vpcarb 102mph

PostPosted: July 29th, 2013, 10:26 pm   

BoomerMuskoka wrote:
opmope wrote:
BoomerMuskoka wrote:
post some pics of the winder,, you did a wicked job on that gel.., glws of the fiberton ,

Here the photo bucket link to the Sidewinder I did last spring.

http://s44.photobucket.com/user/opmope/ ... 3080925318

i love how you did the stripes deliberately like a drunken sailor,, in my eyes it looks perfect..

I copied my 2008 Hydrostream Venom.

PostPosted: July 30th, 2013, 11:18 am   

hydrostream eh? :D nice whats it got for power,? i remember talking with you last summer and you said you were looking for a pickle fork, did you end up getting it?

PostPosted: July 30th, 2013, 7:27 pm   

BoomerMuskoka wrote:
hydrostream eh? :D nice whats it got for power,? i remember talking with you last summer and you said you were looking for a pickle fork, did you end up getting it?

Only had a 08 150HP Opti on it. did 73MPH but what I liked about it was turn key and go. Never any issues. Always starts and never thinking its going to let me down.
Yes I'm still lloking for a Euro. the ones that are for sale are way to pricey. I want one I can re gel and put an Etec on the back. Keep your eyes open for me. You know I'm in Milford Bay? My daughter is always at Turtle Jacks with her boat!
I'm re gel coating a 17' J Craft right now. That's my next boat I'll post when it's done. John Speath's upholster, Gwen has my rear bench and buckets. going to look cool, red silver and white carbon fiber.

PostPosted: July 30th, 2013, 8:04 pm   

opmope wrote:
BoomerMuskoka wrote:

Only had a 08 150HP Opti on it. did 73MPH but what I liked about it was turn key and go. Never any issues. Always starts and never thinking its going to let me down.
Yes I'm still lloking for a Euro. the ones that are for sale are way to pricey. I want one I can re gel and put an Etec on the back. Keep your eyes open for me. You know I'm in Milford Bay? My daughter is always at Turtle Jacks with her boat!
I'm re gel coating a 17' J Craft right now. That's my next boat I'll post when it's done. John Speath's upholster, Gwen has my rear bench and buckets. going to look cool, red silver and white carbon fiber.

i have a valero with an excel,, it does 72, lol needs a cone, :roll: .. its a bit of a project but hasn't let me down and is getting better,,
euros are pricey from what i see but will keep my eyes and ears open for sure,
i know where there is a 2000 200 ficht with a hole in the block if your interested ;) :lol: i need a block :( i know your in milford bay yes,, i was looking at your j craft and a scorpian you had last year and saw you wet sanding the sidewinder, that j craft should look awesome when its done. :D