It is currently May 3rd, 2024, 2:18 pm

valero build

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: September 19th, 2013, 10:34 pm   

figured id start the rebuild thread now that ive seen the boat in person lol.the boats an 85 hydrostream valero, if you cant tell from the pictures i put up before the boats a dark blue/silver metal flake with peeling decals that need to go. my plan is to start sanding either tomorrow or saturday, but not sure how much work ill get done. i totally forgot about my cousins 15 checkmate rebuild that needs to get put in gear again. looks like the valero will need core as the hull flexs with me on it and im not that heavy. cant wait to get started, ill take pictures along the way when i can to put up.

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: September 20th, 2013, 9:15 am   

is there a hook in it ? this sounds/looks like a huge project :D sweet , :D

19' tempest picklefork 84 mod vpcarb 102mph

PostPosted: September 20th, 2013, 9:30 am   

is the hook in the built in setback? ive been reading up on hydrostream.org and have found info about the hook but not a location of the hook. if the hook is in the setback then yes it does appear to have a hook. im hoping the weather turns nicer as the day goes on so i can get more pictures and a bit of work done. as for the extent of the project, it is gonna be a fairly large project but nothing we havent been into before. its going to need new wood in the dash which works great for making it a centre steer, lets me fill in all the unnecessary holes that i wont need.

PostPosted: September 20th, 2013, 9:51 pm   

the hook will be in the pad and streaks and its not supposed to be there and is hard to correct , that boat should be on a jig so it keeps its shape while you remove the core,,, too check to see if it has a hook, you need to put a straight edge or level on the bottom of the boat and make sure it is flat,, .. http://www.hydrostream.org/Specific%20Models/New20V.htm look here and notice the straight edge and its flat on the bottom of the pad.. there should be no space between the straight edge and the pad.. ;)

PostPosted: October 1st, 2013, 5:10 pm   

got the one side stringer out and the area is mainly prepped. the remaining pieces of floor are removed and the lip cleaned up. the other side is prepped from the stringer to the where the floor used to sit. all of the decals on the starboard side have been removed and look what i found, clearcoat. theres no way to save it so its just a big tease :lol: the painters tape is where im considering cutting the hang down for the controls to usually mount as i wont need it, any thoughts on that?

PostPosted: October 1st, 2013, 5:34 pm   
Team Member

A lot of the 'streams are cut there when restored, it's common, mine is. That gel looks pretty far gone, looks like you're in for some bodywork and paint! Keep us posted!!

PostPosted: October 1st, 2013, 5:38 pm   
Team Member

On second look, you may be through the gel and into the 'glass. Hard to tell in the picture. I had an old corvette that had bad gel on it, the 'glass had started to dry up on the surface. My quotes to have the body done were very high everywhere I went, they all said it was because they had to let the 'glass soak up resin, and they couldn't say how much or how long it would take until they got into it. Not tryin to scare ya, it's hard to tell just from the picture, but you may want someone with fiberglass experience to have a look at it.

PostPosted: October 1st, 2013, 5:46 pm   

that shit'll buff out :lol:

PostPosted: October 1st, 2013, 7:07 pm   

The gels not terrible but the clear is totally gone except for where the decals were, but there's a few bad spots on the port side. The picture showing the gel is the good clear in the middle and the rest is all gel no clear. Someone never took care of it on the dock. The core appears to stop about 5 feet from the transom. I ran the what number is on the boat an appears it's a Canadian edition as it doesn't match any American HINs hydrostream.org has. I'm hoping to remove the other stringer and get the rest of the prep done this weekend.