It is currently March 28th, 2024, 3:52 pm

Custom 56ci Adapter Plate

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 2nd, 2013, 1:38 pm   
Drag Racing Sponsor

Thanks. It has a second set of holes so that you won't have to remove the powerhead bolts to take the wingplates on and off. Also, the thickness is the same as a stinger adapter plate so you don't loose driveshaft engagement like a normal 56 adapter plate. It has tapped holes on the front for the steering arm so no need to make up solid mounts either. For all I know, I could be wasting my time with it. In order to get the bolts out, I'm probably going to have to use socket head cap screws, and use a hex bit with a ball end to loosen and tighten the bolts as I'll need to get on them at a slight angle if using a tuner that has the same size at the end as an SST-60. I couldn't make the flange for the tuner any bigger, or it wouldn't fit out the bottom of the mid. Also, I've read there is so much vibration there that bolts will easily come loose. I'm hoping if I use lock washers and blue loctite every time that the bolts will hold. I've found that in this "Sport", you just have to try things for yourself and see what happens. If testing goes well and everything works as I want it to, I will make some of these to sell if there is any interest.

19' Laser 380 Ray (Future Project)

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: October 4th, 2013, 2:11 pm   
Team Member

Hevi Kevi wrote:
Thanks. It has a second set of holes so that you won't have to remove the powerhead bolts to take the wingplates on and off. Also, the thickness is the same as a stinger adapter plate so you don't loose driveshaft engagement like a normal 56 adapter plate. It has tapped holes on the front for the steering arm so no need to make up solid mounts either.

Awesome additions, looks good 8-)

Profile Send private message WWW  
 PostPosted: October 4th, 2013, 8:14 pm   

that is just awesome work kevin, keep it up i hope it all come together and works ,,i think this stuff is really neat..

19' tempest picklefork 84 mod vpcarb 102mph

PostPosted: February 10th, 2014, 6:10 pm   
Drag Racing Sponsor

I'm ordering material tomorrow for these custom adapter plate and tuners and also ordering for the setback plates. Just wondering if anyone is interested? I'm going to make 10 of each for now. The price for the adapter plate with the SST-60 style tuner will be $475. Much cheaper than an SST-60 adapter plate and tuner. I can also make tuners to your specs if you would like a different style than the SST-60. Here is a picture of the finished tuner as well that I forgot to post. One of these will be on each of my race boats for next season.

PostPosted: February 11th, 2014, 10:44 am   
Team Member

That is so impressive Kevin!! Looking forward to the test results! Tuners are a bit of a controversial and unknown art. I'm sure there will be big demand in the states for these as well.
Dave.

PostPosted: February 11th, 2014, 1:17 pm   
Drag Racing Sponsor

Thanks Dave. Performance will be the same as the SST-60 tuner unless someone requests a different shape as the tuner dimensions were made to SST-60 spec. I was worried about the bolts breaking or coming loose but after talking to Tim Krucz, he told me his only worry would be the welds on the tuner cracking over time and suggested that I get the annealed which I am going to. Also, I lost the pictures when I lost my blackberry on a snowmobile trail, but I made an internal O-ring groove for the water tube so it just slides into the adapter plate and seals around the outside of the water pipe.

PostPosted: February 12th, 2014, 10:01 am   
Team Member

Kevi, will we be able to bolt the original 49 cu. in. 15 inch inner exhaust cover to the base? If so you have your first order.

PostPosted: February 12th, 2014, 1:37 pm   
Drag Racing Sponsor

Hey Don,
In order for that to work, a spacer would have to be made to go between the cover and the adapter plate and I don't even know if the cover would fit over that tuner or that there would be a place for the bolt holes so I'm going to have to say no. Why are you wanting to use the exhaust cover? Are you worried about noise or cooking the water pump, or is it top secret? lol

PostPosted: February 12th, 2014, 2:15 pm   
Team Member

Hevi Kevi wrote:
Hey Don,
In order for that to work, a spacer would have to be made to go between the cover and the adapter plate and I don't even know if the cover would fit over that tuner or that there would be a place for the bolt holes so I'm going to have to say no. Why are you wanting to use the exhaust cover? Are you worried about noise or cooking the water pump, or is it top secret? lol

YES I am worried about the noise. On our lake it is better to have a normal sounding motor. They not not like the SST 60 sound. I really like your part. I would even use a different tuner. Give the cover a test fit and see if it is possible.

PostPosted: February 12th, 2014, 3:41 pm   
Drag Racing Sponsor

Once I have another one made up, I will check it out and see if it is possible. I no longer have the prototype here to check.