It is currently April 20th, 2024, 4:36 am

Pros and Cons of a 15 ft hydrostream VIPER

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 7th, 2016, 9:24 am   
Team Member

i have always liked this model and I have it on my bucket list. Looked at several over the years including a blue new one on S & F years ago. All of the cheap ones need so much work that it does not make sense to sink that amount of money into restoring one. I think the best way is to buy a restored one at a fair price. I know the amount of time and money it takes to do one the right way by removing the deck. I help do one and the owner had $7000. into it in no time. There currently is a black one for sale with a new transom. Seems to me it was for sale a while back. Anyone know about that one?
Any information on other Vipers is appreciated.

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: April 7th, 2016, 12:00 pm   
Team Member

Intrigued by your bucket list dream boat admission.
Seriously, would like to know more about your pro/con criteria. With all the boats you've seen, tested, raced, how did this one pop out for the bucket list: http://www.hydrostream.org/Specific%20Models/Viper.htm

Reason I ask, this is my dream girl: http://www.hydrostream.org/Specific%20Models/Viking.htm

PostPosted: April 7th, 2016, 2:02 pm   
Team Member

Very fast hull with modest power. I 140 v4 omc , 130hp yamaha, or 2 litre 150 merc would fly and have great handling.

PostPosted: April 7th, 2016, 4:14 pm   
Team Member

Hydroid wrote:
Intrigued by your bucket list dream boat admission.
Seriously, would like to know more about your pro/con criteria. With all the boats you've seen, tested, raced, how did this one pop out for the bucket list:

As a senior now, I do not have the skill set to drive a sport or race boat at 80 plus mph. I have also lost interest in big 6 cylinder motors. Since I cannot carry the 3 cylinder power heads anymore, I now work on 2 cylinder power heads. Hence one reason I like T750 motors. As mentioned in the post above, the 15 foot Viper runs well with smaller power. In my collection of motors I have several that would be different from the norm on a viper....a mod 90 short shaft Yamaha or a 60 hp 4 stroke race Mercury or a original Formula E or maybe an SST 60.
For a 15 footer the Viper is a large hull. All of the motors would make it a cool 50 to 65 mph lake boat.

PostPosted: April 7th, 2016, 6:02 pm   
Team Member

Hydrostream hull design article: http://www.hydrostream.org/ArticleArchives/HullTech.htm

PostPosted: April 7th, 2016, 6:52 pm   
Team Member

Don,
I think that's a cool idea! I think the viper would be pretty tame with 90hp or less, but it sounds like that's what you are looking for. It would also look nicely balanced with a smaller motor. A v6 looks pretty huge on a viper imo.

What about your potato chip voodoo? You could always put some extra layers of glass in it for better lake running and that might serve the same purpose? ...you have a few options 8-)

PostPosted: April 7th, 2016, 8:24 pm   
Team Member

[quote=" What about your potato chip voodoo? You could always put some extra layers of glass in it for better lake running and that might serve the same purpose? ...you have a few options 8-)[/quote]
The super lite Voodoo is on 6 mile. I have the ultra light tempest built Critchfield. The plan is still to do it in Carbon fiber. I was warned that due to the curing heat and the hull being so thin that the hull could warp. It may need to go in the mold to do it. Rather than using 50 inch wide roll material, I was advised to use thinner fiber in 2 foot squares for the first application and use wider fiber over it. I was also advised to pre-assemble the transom and put it in as a complete unit.
I have lots of Sport C stuff including motors. This boat should weigh in at GT30 weight. It would be nice to get in running mid 50's with a green motor. Now that I am retired, I can work on more stuff.

PostPosted: April 7th, 2016, 8:35 pm   

Hounddog wrote:
There currently is a black one for sale with a new transom. Seems to me it was for sale a while back. Anyone know about that one?
Any information on other Vipers is appreciated.

is it the one kenny bought and the core exploded ?

19' tempest picklefork 84 mod vpcarb 102mph

PostPosted: April 7th, 2016, 10:28 pm   
Team Member

Current owner is a fellow named Mike. Mike says the previous owner had the transom done a Hydrostream Canada. He did not know when. Boat is painted black. I remember a black Viper that had lots of issues. If John did the transom? I would not think there was a problem. Question is....is the story true!

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-motorb ... nFlag=true

PostPosted: April 8th, 2016, 11:40 am   
Team Member

sorry, I had vector on my mind for some reason. A viper with on of your mentioned motors would be a perfect combination. Great handling as well.