It is currently April 27th, 2024, 4:07 pm

What Project(s) have you been working on???

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 1st, 2023, 5:25 pm   
Team Member

Delta looks good !

#49 Triple C Racing
T750 Delta/ omc

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: March 1st, 2023, 5:57 pm   
Team Member

A short v4 looper would be great Mike. This winter i completed a 1977 crossflow 140 that we cut down a few years ago. It's not pretty and I have no idea what I'm going to run it on yet lol.

Also put together a short shaft 60hp merc 4 stroke. Midsection from a 3cyl 4 stroke. Lower unit from a 50 2stroke merc. Like a poor man's formula race.

Here's some pics of them

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... lJODjCx_Sq

PostPosted: March 1st, 2023, 7:46 pm   
Team Member

Looks great to me. A bit of grinding and a bit putty and paint equals VOILA, EAT YOUR HEART OUT BOYS

PostPosted: March 1st, 2023, 8:01 pm   
Team Member

I sold My Delta 56 cube Formula E a few years ago. Such a fun boat but to small for my water.
Playing with a Charger SK with a little 60 degree V4. Great motor that doesn't leave me stranded.
And now I'm working on a 16' Baja. Fibreglassing in a pad and well gutting and rebuilt the rest.
I bought the boat for the motor but couldn't scrap the boat. It has a nice shape and figured with a sleeper engine, I could have a bit of fun out there.

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2023, 10:35 am   
Team Member

[quote="Ricker"]. Also put together a short shaft 60hp merc 4 stroke. Midsection from a 3cyl 4 stroke. Lower unit from a 50 2stroke merc. Like a poor man's formula race.

I love this idea!! The cost of a mercury formula race 60 hp is out of reach for most. The powerhead is exactly the same as the regular motor. We are seeing many 4 stroke parts motors on the market because they are too costly to repair. The ability to mix parts from different models is an advantage especially when they all bolt together as a complete motor.

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2023, 2:14 pm   
Team Member

I have been working on 90hp Yamaha motors like Don said. I have been on and off again with these two motors because of available time but i have one mounted on a Voodoo that i shortened from 20” to 17” so it would work on the Voodoo without cutting the transom for a 15” motor. Also a custom driveshaft to allow me to mount a different gear case! Interesting motors to work with and its a learning curve with cutting a midsection and making a drive shaft! The other motor is a 90 as well but 15” motor with a sleeves out rebuild with some trial port work! This will hopefully end up on a Vixen project hull that should get started in the spring!

Viper Merc 200hp
12' Charger 60Hp OMC
Never Enough Boats!!

PostPosted: March 4th, 2023, 6:41 pm   
Team Member

Hounddog wrote:
I love this idea!! The cost of a mercury formula race 60 hp is out of reach for most. The powerhead is exactly the same as the regular motor. We are seeing many 4 stroke parts motors on the market because they are too costly to repair. The ability to mix parts from different models is an advantage especially when they all bolt together as a complete motor.

The ability to bolt it up to a 15" midsection from the factory was a huge plus. Started with a cheap 60 efi in need of a rebuild.The trim unit and cowls all fit perfectly onto the mid. The only real modification was the driveshaft. Looking forward to playing with it this summer and seeing what we can do to get it to perform. It sounds like Tim and ourselves should have quite the line up on Six mile this year

PostPosted: March 10th, 2023, 11:09 am   
Team Member

sharpeye Mike wrote:
The 30 Yamaha is a great motor and they are still expensive unless they're rough looking

Mike, I have had good success in getting the parts to complete my mod 30 6J8 Speedmaster motor. I don’t think this powerhead has the special oversized sleeves or pistons to increase the displacement to 35 cubic inches like the original mod C Yamahas. But I should be able to get 45 to 50 hp by upgrading.
- I got both a tiller and remote style 15 inch midsections
- I got a 30 15” gearcase and a 40 gearcase. The 40 gearcase allows for a wider selection of props.
- I got both 40D tohatsu and 40 Yamaha carbs. You open up the stock 30 intake and they bolt on. Plus 40 Yamaha reed cages.
- I got a single ram power trim 40 Yamaha clamp bracket assembly which has the much larger side brackets allowing for great height adjustment on the transom .
- I am checking out tuners...not sure what to do because there is a lot of opinions so I will leave it stock for now. Same is true with the cylinder head....billet head is available but most guys have found taking a few thousand off the stock head works just as well for the horsepower goal I am hoping for.
Why trying a tiller? They are an easy mount on a tin boat to start playing .