It is currently April 27th, 2024, 5:03 pm

What Project(s) have you been working on???

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 11th, 2023, 12:31 pm   
Team Member

With this site being so quiet for months it seems that everything related to performance boating has died. I know that is not the case and I have heard of several projects. People are feeling financial concerns, parts are difficult to find, everything is more expensive and selling parts and equipment is a “buyers “ market.
The positive news is there is activity on the Facebook sites, TORC is active and has posted race dates and race locations.
Some people are working on delta projects and Tim Topping is working on building short shaft 90 hp Yamaha motors. ASSUME!
Let’s try and get some posts....Boat Show is over.....spring is coming....maybe you won’t be able complete your project....maybe time to pass the project on....what parts to you need to purchase?....maybe you need to switch to a less costly project.....what stuff would you like to sell or trade?

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: February 12th, 2023, 7:41 pm   
Team Member

Well I'll be the first to reply
I'm working on a V4 Looper. I've got the mid shorten 4.5", got the drive shaft already shorten, the steering arm shaft shorten and now I'm about to shorten the clamp bracket and weld on a new steering shaft bushing. By welding on the new bushing, you end up with more room for the gear case to tuck in.
I would like to get finger ports added to the block and piston with a good port job.
My first thought was to send it to Monty Racing for their river racer Mod 2 port job and I might still go this way but with money exchange, duty and the shipping cost there and back, doesn't look so attractive.
Is there anyone that those the same kind of work here in Ontario or Quebec as Monty Racing?

Boating sites are dying not because of less interest but because most people are on Facebook doing the same thing.
My two cents
Mike

PostPosted: February 14th, 2023, 12:21 pm   
Team Member

I have just recently come across some parts that link to parts I have had for several years in one case and 2 years in the other. In the early to mid 1990’s Jeremy Dunn raced a 50D Nissan in EP class. In the early 2000’s I found that motor and purchased it. It didn’t have the modified gearcase and the powerhead was shot. I knew it was the motor because of the exhaust mod to the midsection. Well last year Speedmaster posted the gearcase and powerhead from that same motor. I purchased it. I will put it back as it was originally.
In 1992 we first raced in Sports C class. Speedmaster also raced in the same class. They raced a 30 hp Yamaha. A few years ago Al a reseller in Oshawa of outboards had a 30 hp Yamaha for sale off a Sports C tunnel. It had to be the Speedmaster motor. I didn’t purchase it, but Al also had the noseconed empty gearcase from it. I purchased it. A few months ago Speedmaster posted the powerhead off that 1992 30 hp Yamaha for sale. I purchased it. I will assemble that motor as well.
My 1980 ish mercury 700 series 70 hp on a 2000 ish 40 hp mercury short shaft with factory trim project has stalled. The NOS powerhead I hoped for ended up not being a 700 series and didn’t have the 145 compression I was after. But I have everything else and soon or later I will find a powerhead.

PostPosted: February 14th, 2023, 7:13 pm   
Team Member

The 30 Yamaha is a great motor and they are still expensive unless they're rough looking

PostPosted: February 25th, 2023, 10:37 am   
Team Member

My daughter picked up an old delta a couple years ago that needed some serious attention. The deck was in really rough shape so we had Thom pop a new deck out of his mold. We removed all the wood and replaced the transom, stringer, floor and bulkhead with Coosa. We removed about 8 layers of paint from the hull and cleaned it up. Just about to flip it back over and start rigging. We built her a 56 cube shorty omc with power trim and a big gear case....for now. It has been a family project wth my dayghter Mikayla my son Eric my wife Allison and myself alll helping out I will post some pics shortly.

PostPosted: February 25th, 2023, 10:41 am   
Team Member

Delta project pics

PostPosted: February 26th, 2023, 8:06 pm   
Team Member

We've been having issues posting photos of the delta project above. Hopefully you guys can open this link and see them.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... moaMArGvVT

PostPosted: February 27th, 2023, 12:10 am   
Team Member

Yep link works. Thanks.

PostPosted: February 27th, 2023, 7:07 pm   
Team Member

Nice work

PostPosted: February 28th, 2023, 7:09 pm   
Team Member

I spoke to Gordon from Monty Racing
He told me to find an 88-89 V4- V6 block cause they made more power with the mods.
Will be looking for another block. Shouldn't be a problem. Lots of them around.