It is currently April 27th, 2024, 2:18 pm

Transom Mounted Water Pickups

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 29th, 2023, 4:53 pm   
Team Member

They are used a lot on offshore boats, F4 tunnel boats, the small hp overseas tunnels and a few performance boats.
This is an interesting thread of the installation, testing, modifying and people then making their own pickup.
https://www.screamandfly.com/showthread ... ter-pickup

Seems like a great application of a billet aluminum product that many could be interested in trying.
The gain in performance is evident.

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: December 29th, 2023, 5:09 pm   
Team Member

Where would I have it mounted?
On a TBoat:
I would have the pickup fitting mounted on the side of the pad at the transom, not under the pad mounted on the transom. On the side the pickup is better protected and will not interfere with the flow of water to the prop.

About this size
https://www.hardin-marine.com/p-12857-5 ... ck-up.aspx

PostPosted: December 30th, 2023, 12:25 pm   
Team Member

The Remote Control Boat guys have been using the transom water pickup for years. One of the serious issues people mention with transom water pickups on their boats is debris in the water plugging up the pickup. Many install a filter in the line after the pickup .
One of the common designs for the RC guys is this one. It is similar to the stock intake on a gearcase. This idea with a screen could be a better option.
https://zippkits.com/index.php?main_pag ... ge&pID=594

PostPosted: December 30th, 2023, 12:47 pm   
Team Member

NOW...IF YOU WANTED TO THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX!
A better solution could be to make a pickup similar in design to the RC one in the previous post and make a new trim tab for the outboard that has the water pickup in it. You could attach the pickup to the water pump with a line that runs inside the gearcase.
Certainly be a much neater look and the outboard would look stock.

PostPosted: December 31st, 2023, 2:12 pm   
Team Member

I like the idea of the trim tab pickup. I'm sure to get enough water from the spray of the prop.
Will this good at all speed Don?

PostPosted: December 31st, 2023, 4:14 pm   
Team Member

sharpeye Mike wrote:
I like the idea of the trim tab pickup. I'm sure to get enough water from the spray of the prop.
Will this good at all speeds Don?

I would test the transom mount first. I like the RC model pickup design. I think a fellow like Kevi could make a nice billet unit that fit on the inside of the pad. You could install that unit and test the water flow and pressure with a tube running from it up to the drivers seat. For the testing leave you motor setup as is. You want to see how good the water pickup works at different speeds. If it is good then you can start playing with more engine heights.
As for the trim tab water pickup style. Many of the stock outboard motors have their water pickup in the trim tab location, The water feed source comes from the prop so maybe at idle with the high mounted outboard the water pickup out of the water it won’t get sufficient water.

PostPosted: December 31st, 2023, 8:00 pm   
Team Member

When you say inside the pad. Do you mean through the hull like a jet ski picks up its water?

PostPosted: January 1st, 2024, 9:56 am   
Team Member

sharpeye Mike wrote:
When you say inside the pad. Do you mean through the hull like a jet ski picks up its water?

I would position the pickup so it is mounted on the bottom under the boat beside the pad at the transom. The back portion of the pickup where the water connection is would extend out the back of the boat and the water tube would run up the transom to the gearcase. The advantage of having the pickup under the boat is it is protected much better that having it extended off the transom.

PostPosted: January 1st, 2024, 12:09 pm   
Team Member

Gotcha. Makes sense. I think I can come up with something with hand tools since i have no more access to machine shop tools.
Thanks Don

PostPosted: January 1st, 2024, 1:53 pm   
Team Member

You maybe be able to modify one of these units?? The pickup mounts on the bottom of the boat and the tube points up the outside of the transom .
https://www.fisheriessupply.com/marine- ... swp0-500-b