It is currently April 19th, 2024, 3:14 pm

WHY BEING CLOSE TO THE MINIMUM CLASS WEIGHT IS SO IMPORTANT!

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 20th, 2014, 2:17 pm   
Team Member

I am going to use T Class as the example. It is equally important in all classes and it is a major factor in your success.

Your driving skill can be equal or better, your equipment can be equal or better, but if your package boat, motor and driver is 50 lbs more. You cannot beat that competitor.

It is a BIG ADVANTAGE if you have a weight advantage.
-50 lbs is 2 inches in pitch= same acceleration with 2 to 3 miles an hour more top end.
- if it is in the weight of the driver, that nose weight is 3 times what the same weight would be in the stern. You need more trim because of the weight and more power is used from the motor to carry the nose. That is power than could have been used to push the boat forward. The heavier nose also hurts setting the boat into the turn.
- your pushing more weight and the boat will not accelerated as quickly. The top end can be exactly the same, but the lighter outfit gets to that speed faster and its response or reaction times on and off the gas if much better. So the boat runs better in traffic.

The smaller the motor the larger the GAIN. Weight in T750 is VERY IMPORTANT!! The class minimum is 599 to 600 lbs.
If the boat and motor are 475 lbs and the driver weighs 200 lbs. The total of 675 lb puts you 75 lbs over the minimum.
That weight likely costs you a few seconds in acceleration every lap.

You thought Stef would not be a problem.....WRONG! Same boat and motor weight 475 and a lighter driver. Jake's boat will
run BETTER Stef will not need to air it out the same and it will not need the excess trim to carry the nose.

Maybe the excess weight of a heavy set back, battery, power trim is slowing you down. Plus it costs you MONEY! We run a clock start, so maybe a manual, start motor is all you need. FACT: The current world record is set by a manual start motor.

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: April 20th, 2014, 2:59 pm   
Drag Racing Sponsor

I ran the first 3 races last year on my Rapid Craft being approx 150lbs over weight! I have since removed about 100lbs of extra weight out of the boat in stripping it and re rigging it. I was able to hit about 70mph on the race course with it being that heavy! I highly doubt I would be able to run a 29 pitch prop and gain 6 to 9 MPH. I'm not saying weight won't hurt it but I don't think these numbers work well for T850. If it does, I'm going to be running mid to high 70's next season :shock:

19' Laser 380 Ray (Future Project)

PostPosted: April 21st, 2014, 10:09 am   
Team Member

Hounddog wrote:
I am going to use T Class as the example. It is equally important in all classes and it is a major factor in your success.

Your driving skill can be equal or better, your equipment can be equal or better, but if your package boat, motor and driver is 50 lbs more. You cannot beat that competitor.

It is a BIG ADVANTAGE if you have a weight advantage.
-50 lbs is 2 inches in pitch= same acceleration with 2 to 3 miles an hour more top end.
- if it is in the weight of the driver, that nose weight is 3 times what the same weight would be in the stern. You need more trim because of the weight and more power is used from the motor to carry the nose. That is power than could have been used to push the boat forward. The heavier nose also hurts setting the boat into the turn.
- your pushing more weight and the boat will not accelerated as quickly. The top end can be exactly the same, but the lighter outfit gets to that speed faster and its response or reaction times on and off the gas if much better. So the boat runs better in traffic.

The smaller the motor the larger the GAIN. Weight in T750 is VERY IMPORTANT!! The class minimum is 599 to 600 lbs.
If the boat and motor are 475 lbs and the driver weighs 200 lbs. The total of 675 lb puts you 75 lbs over the minimum.
That weight likely costs you a few seconds in acceleration every lap.

You thought Stef would not be a problem.....WRONG! Same boat and motor weight 475 and a lighter driver. Jake's boat will
run BETTER Stef will not need to air it out the same and it will not need the excess trim to carry the nose.

Maybe the excess weight of a heavy set back, battery, power trim is slowing you down. Plus it costs you MONEY! We run a clock start, so maybe a manual, start motor is all you need. FACT: The current world record is set by a manual start motor.

Don, i dont think it is legal in the rules to run manual start? i also think it is very hard to get a t 750 be close to min weight unless you have a very light boat

#49 Triple C Racing
T750 Delta/ omc

PostPosted: April 21st, 2014, 10:28 am   
Team Member

[quote="tunnelv Don, i dont think it is legal in the rules to run manual start? i also think it is very hard to get a t 750 be close to min weight unless you have a very light boat[/quote]

You are correct.
(3-C-6)
An electric starter must assure a quick and easy start without external aids. It must be used as it was supplied by the manufacturer, 12 or 24 volt allowed.

This is where the manual start came from.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8r1c5VkYjU

Last edited by Hounddog on April 21st, 2014, 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: April 21st, 2014, 10:39 am   
Team Member

Hevi Kevi wrote:
I ran the first 3 races last year on my Rapid Craft being approx 150lbs over weight! I have since removed about 100lbs of extra weight out of the boat in stripping it and re rigging it. I was able to hit about 70mph on the race course with it being that heavy! I highly doubt I would be able to run a 29 pitch prop and gain 6 to 9 MPH. I'm not saying weight won't hurt it but I don't think these numbers work well for T850. If it does, I'm going to be running mid to high 70's next season :shock:

To date we have only had 1 T850 boat come close to the 725 lb. Most have been 60 lbs over weight. Scott Whittingtons was 724 lbs without the driver! T750 is 594 lbs. The new Critchfield should weight approximately 240 lbs fully rigged less motor and driver. The T750 motors weigh in at 170 lbs. so that is 410 lbs plus the driver. The driver could weigh 184 lbs and the total is 594 lb. TIME TO GET A NEW BOAT.

PostPosted: April 21st, 2014, 2:51 pm   
Team Member

Hounddog wrote:
Hevi Kevi wrote:

To date we have only had 1 T850 boat come close to the 725 lb. Most have been 60 lbs over weight. Scott Whittingtons was 724 lbs without the driver! T750 is 594 lbs. The new Critchfield should weight approximately 240 lbs fully rigged less motor and driver. The T750 motors weigh in at 170 lbs. so that is 410 lbs plus the driver. The driver could weigh 184 lbs and the total is 594 lb. TIME TO GET A NEW BOAT.

The new 6ML T750 Critch driver is not >140lb; he'd really benefit from T Party/Top Gun weigh in to know weight to be securley afixed.

PostPosted: April 21st, 2014, 5:19 pm   
Team Member

Hydroid wrote:
[.

The new 6ML T750 Critch driver is not >140lb; he'd really benefit from T Party/Top Gun weigh in to know weight to be securley afixed.[/quote]

I understand they have the boat now and are working on it. Top Gun is dressing a OMC shorty for that boat. The reason for the thread was, new light hulls with a talently light driver are going to raise the performance in T750. You don't need to worry about Frasers 49 Mercury or the 4 stroke. Both of those outfits weigh more than a T850 boat.
It will be these 494 lb mini rockets you will be chasing.