It is currently May 11th, 2024, 11:09 am

New T Class proposal

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 PostPosted: October 22nd, 2013, 10:02 am   
HPBC PRESIDENT

tunnelv wrote:
Hounddog wrote:
You should also consider having the 90 Yamaha included in outlaw. It was competitive and in APBA's first revision of FV when they went mod. It will be interesting to see if the manitory cell rule shows up again. These boats will run high 70's.

At what speeds does the cell rule usually show up? that could put a damper on outlaw if it happened

How fast is a Dmod hydro?? lol

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: October 22nd, 2013, 10:09 am   
Team Member

DoktorC wrote:
tunnelv wrote:
Hounddog wrote:
You should also consider having the 90 Yamaha included in outlaw. It was competitive and in APBA's first revision of FV when they went mod. It will be interesting to see if the manitory cell rule shows up again. These boats will run high 70's.

At what speeds does the cell rule usually show up? that could put a damper on outlaw if it happened

How fast is a Dmod hydro?? lol

lol ya i was thinking that as i said it too..just didnt know if it was different in a bigger boats some started to run cells in the 1990s

#49 Triple C Racing
T750 Delta/ omc

PostPosted: October 22nd, 2013, 10:25 am   
Team Member

Just for peoples knowledge. There is no set speed. There are rumours of 100 mph but his is not true. Classes under 100 mph also have cells. They look at class numbers, safety record, the equipment, handling charateristics, etc. And compare to classes they know. 1L Mod inboard hydro classes have cells and manditory automatic air supply ($$$$). In history, the FV class had cells I believe. A full on 1000 cc mod class I would assume would be above the speed of anything in EP/FV history. I'd say you're asking for it personally. And IF they do it for one, who knows if they do it for the others too? Things like this are done under "safety", racers get no vote. The CBF board can do it on their own proactively (maybe you want a person or two from your group on the board now?), or the insurance company can enforce it too.

Profile Send private message WWW  
 PostPosted: October 22nd, 2013, 11:22 am   
Team Member

If? the idea of the outlaw class is to run MOD then you should consider going mod with a smaller displacement motor. Smaller than T850 or T750. The racers still have the benefit of building there own stuff and there is less chance of safety issues. I have always thought 40 cubic inch mod would be an interesting T option. Those motors can develop 80 hp and they are not that costly to build. The speeds would fall into our current range. Also every manufacturer has a motor in that range 35 to 40 cubic inch, so it would not limit the class to one make.

PostPosted: October 22nd, 2013, 11:37 am   
Team Member

Good idea Don.

Also just to let people know... in hydros... Mod doesn't mean do what you want. It just lets you do some stuff. In almost every class it is every bit as technically spec'd as a stock class. The PRO group is displacement only rules (Mike Cory's 125cc Hydro for example). There are very few "do what you want" classes out there.

Profile Send private message WWW  
 PostPosted: October 22nd, 2013, 11:39 am   
Team Member

Hounddog wrote:
If? the idea of the outlaw class is to run MOD then you should consider going mod with a smaller displacement motor. Smaller than T850 or T750. The racers still have the benefit of building there own stuff and there is less chance of safety issues. I have always thought 40 cubic inch mod would be an interesting T option. Those motors can develop 80 hp and they are not that costly to build. The speeds would fall into our current range. Also every manufacturer has a motor in that range 35 to 40 cubic inch, so it would not limit the class to one make.

You could go to 43 cubic inch mod. That is smaller than the T750 which is 45 cubic inch and it allows more of the 3 cylinder models. In the rules I suggestion you state that you must use the original block, crank and pistons. Now this is a fun motor to race!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDqWCWDtvsc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW8h7A7OU_0

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2013, 10:12 pm   
Team Member

After reading these posts I'd like to offer my opinion in regards to the T850's.
No comment either way with the X class, not my thing.
The idea of leaving the 850 class as is except for the compression check makes the most sense. (It has worked pretty well) It is obvious that the 160 lb rule is too inconsistent, see Dunnville... same 3 engines were or should have been DQ'd one day and OK next day??? Do I need to go over all the other reasons compression checks are not suitable?
Simply measuring the clearance between the piston top and the combustion chamber roof via a very simple tool (inserted through the spark plug hole) is the way to go. Pump fuel and no other check.
This simple check takes into account decking the block too so you can run any head / block combination as long as the engine will still turn over. It will equalize the power advantage of the SST's and eliminate any need for race fuel. Don't even need to pull a head or have a "spec" head!
I for one do not wish to buy new 49 powerheads, too much invested in the 56's at this point, as well I have no intention of building X class power, too much $$$.
Take care
Dave

PostPosted: October 24th, 2013, 11:32 am   
Drag Racing Sponsor

Ok, things I like about the idea of outlaw, is if the class is formed, we shouldn't have to discuss engine rules again because other than having a block that is below 60ci, there are none. No tech inspection, everyone comes out and runs what they put together and has a good time. I think it will be interesting to see all the innovation that comes with it as we learn more about what we can do to these engines to squeeze out that last bit of power. In the end, with all the mods, I doubt anyone is going to have the money into one of these motors that a new 70 or 75hp would cost. If someone does want to spend that kind of money to win nothing but bragging rights, all the power to them. At least it will be one interesting machine. Everyone already has these motors so I don't think anyone is interested in modding a smaller engine. I also doubt we'll be seeing high 70's with these motors. A lot more pull out of the corners though. Even if they did, the COR boats run faster than that do they not?

From what I understand, the rules discussion happens every year which is not necessarily a bad thing as it's a growing class that's evolving but some people just want that to end. I'm pretty sure outlaw will do that. As far as T-850 goes, if everyone who doesn't want to do outlaw wants to use a screw in gauge, or do compression checks and run the same rules as last year, all good. I only mentioned using real 850cc motors or less with no mods as it seems like the more logical thing to do in the long run if running 2 classes. Probably not feasible for most right now as they have already put time and money into the 56ers. Will we have enough boats for both classes?
Where is everyone sitting with this? Like I said before, I will have a boat for both classes if they run separate. Even if someone else drives one of them. If i had to choose 1, it would be outlaw.
Team Hydroid, Team hydromotive, Famme? Where would you guys be?

19' Laser 380 Ray (Future Project)

PostPosted: October 25th, 2013, 7:34 am   
Team Member

Well, lets make up a proposal for both the X/outlaw class, and then one for a new tech inspection method for 850/850. This way we have them thought out already.Then present the X/outlaw class first - if it doesnt get approved then we go back to the drawing board. If it does get approved, then we can present the new tech rules for 850/750. This way no one will be out of racing.
Makes sense no?

PostPosted: October 25th, 2013, 11:27 am   
Team Member

First step is to discuss and get approval from our T committee. I suggest you keep the info within the committee rather and post it on the site. Once you have the proposal then we can contact the T group members.
TCORD Racing Committee
1. Rick Cole
2. Jake Elsey
3. Paul Kryskow
4. Paul Coulter

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next