It is currently April 28th, 2024, 7:53 pm

A SUGGESTION FOR T850......NOT A RULE CHANGE..JUST TRY IT!

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: September 19th, 2018, 12:41 pm   
Team Member

The people who were at that Boat Show Meeting where T850 Class members voted in the spec rule change for the OMC 56 cubic motor know that I was upset over the change and said the change eliminated other motors, the engine mods allowed would make inspection more difficult, the class would become more costly, faster and have few entries.

WAS I RIGHT!! YES
PLUS....the people that wanted the changes quit racing in the class.

So here is my suggestion.....you do not need to have it in the rule book.....It just has to be agreeable with the racers in the current T850 class.
Its the unwritten fairness rule for T850 for ALL OMC 56 cubic inch motors
[1] motor must run spec head....this head will be slightly larger CC than the SST 60...it could produce LESS than 160 lbs. compression on your motor, but no more than 160 lbs compression is allowed.....if you are over 160 you must run a larger cc head. If you are under 160 with the spec head you CANNOT change the head.
[2] You CANNOT run a main jet larger than a 73D in your motor. The inspector can and will supply you with 73D jets to race with if concerned.

If you are a new-bee and show up at a T850 race to race your 56 OMC . In your pre-race inspection the class inspector will loan you a spec head and 73D jets. You will have to pay for the head gasket.

What the rule does is eliminate extra altered 56 motors because the rules hurt the special alterations.
JUST A SUGGESTION.....T850 it is your class

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: September 25th, 2018, 11:41 pm   
Team Member

Matt and a couple of others wanted more information about this thread.
Currently the 56 OMC motors dominate T850. The other brands are not competitive anymore.
The other brands run in the 64 to 69 mph range and lack the acceleration of the OMC 56 motors.

Now a SST60 with the legal larger CC 160 compression head is becoming non competitive.

The altered OMC 56 fishing motors have the advantage.
On the race course they see plus 76 mph with superior acceleration.
Todd has a lake runner that will run 80 mph.
These altered motors love fuel and have less than 160 compression running a smaller cc head than the original [180 head] SST60.
There are many non racer and previous T racers running these motors.
Some would like to race but worry they would be illegal. Plus they spend a lot of money building their motor and don't want to build another one.

What the suggestion above....says
Guys bring those motors to the races......just change the head and jets at the race....and RACE!

PostPosted: September 26th, 2018, 9:57 am   

You're right Don.....we only really have compression as a limit. We are not racing for points because there aren't enough boats. Until we get numbers...run what you brung! Once we get the boats out there we can get serious and start running for points....then there would have to be inspections and limits.

2019 Rossitter Critchfield SST60 EVINRUDE

PostPosted: September 26th, 2018, 10:48 pm   
Team Member

A comment I hear from T850 owners:
"My T850 boat would have a problem beating the current T750 boats......The current T850's are much faster than T750 and faster than T850's were a few years ago. So there is no point in racing."

In T850 you can have a lot of fun racing so long as there are other boats that run similar to your boat. We just need MORE boats.
Look at this video from 2012......There are 56's, 49's, Yamaha and Mercury all in the same heat. The speeds are slower, but, there is good racing and the fans loved it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=angVswWQTuc

PostPosted: September 27th, 2018, 11:09 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

Hounddog wrote:
"My T850 boat would have a problem beating the current T750 boats......The current T850's are much faster than T750 and faster than T850's were a few years ago. So there is no point in racing."

In T850 you can have a lot of fun racing so long as there are other boats that run similar to your boat. We just need MORE boats.
Look at this video from 2012......There are 56's, 49's, Yamaha and Mercury all in the same heat. The speeds are slower, but, there is good racing and the fans loved it.

That is my favourite video off all time lol. Pay close attention to who is out front :)....and Brian suggesting the voodoo is the worst handling T boat lol.

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: September 28th, 2018, 12:21 am   
Team Member

DoktorC wrote:
That is my favourite video off all time lol. Pay close attention to who is out front :)....and Brian suggesting the voodoo is the worst handling T boat lol.

Yes, DOC you won that heat with your YAMAHA. Jake was second with a 49 OMC. Eric with his VOODOO was last in that heat. The next heat Eric finished second. If a racer got a top 3 start they usually ended up finishing top 3. That was what made the racing so much fun.
Everyone was competitive!

Here are the TORC points for 2012
You can see good results from many racers in T850
http://www.torc.ca/2012-results.html

PostPosted: September 28th, 2018, 9:00 am   

DoktorC wrote:

That YouTube video has only 1 like... I wonder who that was.. :)

1980 Thundercraft v142 Restored

PostPosted: September 28th, 2018, 9:03 am   

I wish I hadn't missed out on the 2011 to 2015 years..

But I have to say that having my T850 at only 54.5mph as my first ever race experience still got me hooked. And all who are still participating and involved have been extremely supportive and helpful..

1980 Thundercraft v142 Restored

PostPosted: September 28th, 2018, 1:56 pm   
Team Member

DoktorC wrote:
Hounddog wrote:

Did you jump or are you about to get lapped ! :?