It is currently May 20th, 2024, 5:38 pm

Engines on display at APBA meeting...

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 29th, 2013, 12:57 pm   
Team Member

These were displayed at the APBA convention on the weekend...

Pic 1. Electric start option for stock/mod. Adds 5 lbs including battery. Geared towards the kids in classes who stall and miss a heat from lack of experience, but anyone can use. If under weight in class anyway, would be cool to have.

Pics 2 & 3. "Mod" class kit for the stock motor. Comes in two version, lightly modded (can switch from stock to mod motor setups in few minutes for more class options at races), and "no return" mod kit for full on Modified racing which includes a new short mid.

No prices listed, but coming soon.

The 45SS engine, no one talking about it oddly enough, have not heard prices.

Profile Send private message WWW  
 PostPosted: January 29th, 2013, 1:09 pm   
Team Member

Pricing on New SST45

Attachments:
SST$%-1.jpg
SST$%-1.jpg [ 91.66 KiB | Viewed 1099 times ]
SST45.jpg
SST45.jpg [ 123.14 KiB | Viewed 1099 times ]

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: January 29th, 2013, 1:15 pm   
Team Member

LittleCharger wrote:
Pricing on New SST45

So what does that mean? You have to supply your own complete powerhead? Doesn't sound too bad if added up... but would be nice to see an out the door complete option for new people.

PostPosted: January 29th, 2013, 1:38 pm   
Team Member

No motor, no trim ram or bracket. I guess that is additional. I do like the cowl. It looks like a small version of the SST60 cowl. Since we run the SST60 cowls on many of our T850 boats. It would be nice to see this cowl and mid with an SST60 foot [bolts right on] on a T750. Like little brother, big brother motors.

PostPosted: January 29th, 2013, 1:48 pm   
Team Member

Andrew4ce wrote:
LittleCharger wrote:
Pricing on New SST45

So what does that mean? You have to supply your own complete powerhead? Doesn't sound too bad if added up... but would be nice to see an out the door complete option for new people.

Powerheads are really not that hard to come by they aren't anything special the difference between the fishing motor and race powerhead is very small. Don't quote me on this but I think the only difference from a parts point of view between a 60hp fishing powerhead and the race powerhead is the connecting rods, cylinder head and porting is the same, all the rest of the differences between the motors would be bringing the fishing powerhead to sst45 spec tolerances. Some model year blocks are preferred over other years, the blocks with serial numbers ending in "100" are preferred, there are differences within the 100 series also, big 100 vs small 100.

Wouldn't you have to change the drive shaft for a sst60 foot to bolt up as different splines. Also different gear ratio, finding lower pitch props would be a pain.

The sst60 cowl set is great to access carbs for jetting changes but they are just ugly! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: January 29th, 2013, 1:57 pm   
Team Member

[quote="LittleCharger
Wouldn't you have to change the drive shaft for a sst60 foot to bolt up as different splines. Also different gear ratio, finding lower pitch props would be a pain.

The sst60 cowl set is great to access carbs for jetting changes but they are just ugly! :mrgreen:[/quote]

LC, I was just referring to using the empty case. You would need to put the correct parts in the case. The case is the same. I thought a nice polished SST 60 case would look very racy on this mid and cowl. I do agree the SST 60 is functional, but not attractive. Now put a 44XS cowl on this mid and it would look even better.

PostPosted: January 29th, 2013, 2:01 pm   
Team Member

Hounddog wrote:
[quote="LittleCharger

The sst60 cowl set is great to access carbs for jetting changes but they are just ugly! :mrgreen:

LC, I was just referring to using the empty case. You would need to put the correct parts in the case. The case is the same. I thought a nice polished SST 60 case would look very racy on this mid and cowl. I do agree the SST 60 is functional, but not attractive. Now put a 44XS cowl on this mid and it would look even better.[/quote]

If good looks make you go faster James Cole better not get into a race boat............. zing lol.

http://thundercatracingna.com/

PostPosted: January 29th, 2013, 2:30 pm   
Team Member

Yes that is one ugly cowl... if they had to make something... the cost to make something cool looking was basically nothing. A mini Merc alien cowl would have been cool.