It is currently April 24th, 2024, 6:59 am

LET'S GO DINGHY RACING!!!! $1700.00 for a GOOD BOAT!

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 PostPosted: November 6th, 2017, 12:05 pm   
Team Member

Andrew4ce wrote:
I think it could go somewhere with real sponsors if someone put the effort in. In Jamie's design, the exposed hand holds like he has would be very dangerous in racing. The hand holds have to be on the inside of the hull so no one loses fingers bumping other boats/hard items/crashing. This would be awesome at TopO. Dunnville would be fun too as there are some islands and channels there. Ottawa, I'd go there.

Here is the hold on hand rail Andrew is talking about. It would be on the race version of the boat.
https://usatsneakhype.files.wordpress.c ... racing.png

We currently do not see a lot of sponsors in our smaller race classes. This class has more features sponsor products relate too.
Small stock motors, unique fishing style boat, family involvement. RED BULL is the largest class sponsor. It's the web and especially YouTube that promotes this class. Their events are not large, but the web gets them lots of attention. This class could pay for itself
in short order.

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: November 6th, 2017, 2:37 pm   
Team Member

I have been asked three questions:
[1] How would sponsored boats work?
I think we will have people that want their own outfit. They may only want to run in one of the groups. So with the sponsored boats they fill in the field for that group. Example: we have 3 boats that want to run in the parent child group. We have 4 sponsored boats. We rig them to race in that group. Now we have 7 boats on the course rather than 3. Makes for better fan interest and better racing.

[2] What about locations where there is no launch ramp?
These boats fit on the small watercraft trailers, they are light enough to be carried to the beach or you could make a cart similar to the Beach Buggy and move it around same as the Stock Outboard guys do.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-boat-parts-trai ... nFlag=true

[3] I would be interested in this class if it had a steering wheel and not a tiller.
This class is only an idea at this point, it may go nowhere and if it does become a class then there will be changes depending on what people want. So far the ideas expressed are my own and based on my experience. IF there was a one person group in the class then the option in that group could? be either tiller or steering wheel.

PostPosted: November 8th, 2017, 12:35 am   
Team Member

Here is an up date on the boat.
I think you will be impressed with Jamie's e-mail.

Hi Don,
I can do 1 boat for $1800. If it was multiples i can likely keep the price the same.
This was a prototype. Cut by hand and formed by hand etc.
If i am going to do more i will have it CNC cut and pressed .
This would make a better finish and also help with keeping them all the same.
It would be about 6 weeks from commencement for the first 1-4 hulls.
I have roughly 6 weeks of work booked and am away from December 12th to January 30th.
The next month is pretty jam packed but if you want to come up to Ottawa and see the boat and discuss you are welcome anytime. Just give me a couple days notice and it won't be a problem. Weekends are fine also.
Cheers Jamie

COMMENTS?? SUGGESTIONS?? INTERESTED IN GETTING A BOAT??
LOOKS LIKE WE COULD GET 4 BOATS FOR NEXT SPRING.

PostPosted: November 8th, 2017, 2:52 am   

1. What motor?
Current/non current?
Power Trim? Manufactured/diy
Propshaft height?
2. Hull?
One design/builder or diy?
Material? Aluminum or wood or glass?
Floatation?
3. Steering?
Tiller or wheel?
4. Course?
Oval or right and left turns?
Length?

Is this going to be a class for racers that like to fish or for fishermen that want to say they race?
What I am asking is, is this class aimed at people that want to work on the boat and setup or people that just want to go for a ride?

PostPosted: November 8th, 2017, 8:18 am   
Team Member

1. What motor?..........15 to 30 hp
Current/non current?......current
Power Trim? Manufactured/diy.....factory trim
Propshaft height?......stock gear case no nose cone or lwp
2. Hull?
One design/builder or diy?.....one design
Material? Aluminum or wood or glass?......aluminum
Floatation?....YES
3. Steering?
Tiller or wheel?......tiller
4. Course?
Oval or right and left turns?......right and left turns
Length?.....1 mile

Is this going to be a class for racers that like to fish or for fishermen that want to say they race?
What I am asking is, is this class aimed at people that want to work on the boat and setup or people that just want to go for a ride?
Its an entry class for new people interested in racing. Depending on interested we could see different levels of competition.

PostPosted: November 9th, 2017, 12:00 am   
Team Member

For lake use, what HP/..KW, would boat be rated at?
Running this with 30HP Tohatsu @ >50mph, OPPeckerheads will chase it down.
I'd be tempted to put 1957 4cyl Mercury 30H w coned case on it, >60mph.

PostPosted: November 9th, 2017, 12:42 am   
Team Member

Hydroid wrote:

Your the second person wanting to do the same thing. The other person wants to run an SST 45 on one. Most will run their 9.9 on the boat at the cottage and switch to a late model 20 or 30 hp E-TEC etc. and race it. Boat would likely rate at 15 hp. However, if the boat is registered as a race boat and has a race number on it. It is a race boat and has race boat rules same as a Critchfield.

Since we have some time and Jamie is open to changes in the design, I would like to have the V bottom go all the way to the transom same as a Critchfield. I think most will run a set back. The bow will look like the one in the picture in an above post and have the inside hand rails same as that boat. https://usatsneakhype.files.wordpress.c ... racing.png The Aussie boat has a flat bottom. Ours will be a V hull. DIFFERENT!! The southern drag boys suggest we put a slight bow down curve in the top to keep the nose down if? we run a single person group. Those that have run a small aluminum tiller boat with 30 hp on a lake have all said the same thing.....too difficult to drive!! That was the reason I thought we would run 20 hp if we had a one person group. The 2 person 30 hp is not a problem, The passenger moves to the bow.

Running this with 30HP Tohatsu @ >50mph,
YEP!! that is the goal.
GT30 class runs 50 plus. But GT30 class does not offer the flexibility [1 or 2 people], boat life span, cost and dual purpose advantage this class does.
Just as a lake toy people should be interested.

PostPosted: November 9th, 2017, 2:22 am   
Team Member

Hydroid wrote:

Just for lake i'd try 15hp OMC with quickie lower; there's 2 OMC 15hp A motors on 6ML rarely used.

PostPosted: November 9th, 2017, 6:08 am   

50mph is a nice goal. In ideal conditions, might be attainable.
I would shy away from a set back transom and go for an inset (3-4”) transom. It would move the cg forward and provide a built in trim tab. Some people put hooks in the bottom or weld a strip across the bottom to reduce porpoising in an adversely loaded boat. But why on a race boat?

PostPosted: November 10th, 2017, 6:44 am   
Team Member

[quote="Hydroid"Just for lake i'd try 15hp OMC with quickie lower; there's 2 OMC 15hp A motors on 6ML rarely used.[/quote]

I would be running a late model 30 hp Mercury Sea Pro 2 stroke.
http://www.louisianasportsman.com/class ... 861086.jpg

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next