It is currently April 27th, 2024, 4:58 pm

WTB 16' Sidewinder or Charger

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 30th, 2018, 2:16 pm   
Team Member

Hey Idvette
I do agree and prefer the no-core boat over a cored boat.... but i had a 16' Charger years ago and never drove it . I was out side cleaning it up one day getting ready to put a 150v6 on and a guy stopped that was driving by and asked me about it. Two days later he was towing it out of my driveway and put an older 225hp Merc on it. So i still would like a 16' Charger and this could be a good excuse if one in good shape came up!
The Winder is a better boat for this job and for what i need but they are all getting old now and nice examples of 16' Sidewinders are getting hard to find. I really don't mind faded but i don't really want to get into interior or transom replacement..... i just don't have time to do it.
I have a Re-cored Viper that will handle V6 power but i want to leave that up north and keep it nice. The Winder will stay at the house and go for a run on lake Ontario, Rice Lake or Scugog and carry tools, thats why i'm calling it a work boat!
Thanks for the reminder on the core issue with the Charger's but it might not rule one out if its cool looking! "Boaters Syndrome" can sometimes effect the operators judgement!! Lol

Thanks
Mercrazy

Viper Merc 200hp
12' Charger 60Hp OMC
Never Enough Boats!!

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: August 30th, 2018, 6:05 pm   

Friend of mine had a 200 Johnson on a 16' low pro winder, it did ok. More plentiful around here too.

ISO Barefoot Sanger OB

PostPosted: August 30th, 2018, 7:00 pm   
Team Member

As far as i know the low pro and the SS are the same hull just a deck change. I have seen and heard of many V6 power combinations on Winders. These hulls seem to be able to handle the V6 weight and power as long as the transoms are in good shape. I prefer the SS version and style. I have looked at a few in person and soft floor issues seem to be common but some are 40 years old! And rarely the original owners lol. These hulls are not considered fast by todays standards but i rember watching them rip around our lake with the old tower of power 135's &150's. Later we saw 115's and 90 tower of power combo's. Plenty of V4 OMC combo's in other areas... the 135hp was common. This hull has been around a long time and the 18' is still well represented.
I'm sure there is a number of good ones still out there!

For now still looking for a 16'

Mercrazy

Viper Merc 200hp
12' Charger 60Hp OMC
Never Enough Boats!!

PostPosted: August 30th, 2018, 8:34 pm   
Team Member

Chris Spaeth has a strucurally sound but ugly 16 Sidewinder. I think his intent is to sell it

PostPosted: August 30th, 2018, 9:53 pm   
Team Member

Thanks for the tip David......Not sure if Chris is still active on this site or not. I have seen posts from people on here asking for a phone number for Chris and John. they must be hard to get a hold of? I was at their shop a few of years back and talked to John for a while but have never talked to Chris. If anyone has a number for Chris please let me know and i will see what he has.

Thanks
Mercrazy

Viper Merc 200hp
12' Charger 60Hp OMC
Never Enough Boats!!

PostPosted: September 30th, 2018, 11:14 pm   

I've got a 1989 winder. Good trailer. 90hp merc. Could be pulled off if you only want the hull and trailer. I'd let it go with the dual ride guide assembly as well. I had a v6 merc on a hydraulic ja k plate move this boat to 80mph. Scary... yes. Safe at 80... not really. Would I do it again... absolutely