It is currently March 28th, 2024, 12:49 pm

Wanted raker

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2015, 6:09 pm   

anyone on this site from the uk ?
I need a 13 spline raker prop, would like a Omc raker of 13.5x20 or 13.5x22.

or any other high raked propeller that will give high bow lift

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: December 2nd, 2015, 8:39 pm   
Team Member

an srx would work well also.

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2015, 9:34 pm   

err No , the SRX is not a bow lifter, I have the SRX/SILVERSTREAK already, that just don't carry the bow.
Mine is 13 3/4x23, the original of these props, I have now polished it and so its an srx, that is the only difference, polish or silver paint version.

what I need is a prop that gets the front up as my boat is bow heavy and nothing I can do to make it different.
there is nothing at all wrong with my silver streak/srx, and I would swap that for a raker if I can find one.
My 13x19 sst lifts the front more than the srx, even my alloy props lift it more.
they are far too expensive new to try, and nobody over here lets you try new props. ...

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2015, 9:25 am   
Team Member

did you tey dropping the propshaft height on the srx? even 1/4" makes a big difference in lift.

PostPosted: December 4th, 2015, 5:04 pm   

ok well I will tell you what I have tried, you might know more about these props than me as this is the first one like it I have had.
first off I just put it on with the engine down as low as possible directly on the boat, no jack plate no set back etc.
pull away bad, handled good and top end was just crap. mid 30's, yes just around 35mph !!!!!!!!
I then took the engine up 2 holes and got a bit better holeshot and decent mid, but still not brilliant top end.37mph
Then I put it all the way up on the bracket holes and got 41.6mph . that was highest speed attained with the srx on my boat.
the arse end came up but the bow stayed down too much, with trim right out all I got was bigger rooster tail and speed dropped to 39 mph.
at this the engine was sounding like it was screaming its nuts off due to too much trim, it ran best with just a small amount of trim out.
Handling at this 41.6 was very good, precise and tight.

Now next I made up a jackplate to get the centre of the prop up about 1 inch below the bottom of the transom like others told me.
Now this is where the fun begins, it was absolutely terrible, took about 1/2 mile to get on plane and then still only got to 41.3 mph !!!!
again the front of the boat does not come up enough to break free and go.
so then I jack it it another inch so the bottom of boat is level with centre of propshaft.
this time the engine revved up but the prop cavitation was diabolical, bite release bite release bite release etc and just did not want to get on plane.
then I take it right up so the centre of prop is about 1 inch above bottom of the boat. all I got was terrible banging and no chance of getting on plane
the cavitation was just mental, I tried every thing I could with throttle and nothing changed, it was a disaster.

Now I am thinking either too much exhaust getting to the prop (need to make exhaust reliefs above cav plate) or its not going to work full stop.
its not a case of engine not enough power as it revs up no problem at all, its just the prop don't bite on my boat when run up high.
on a V bottom this would be good, but my boat is very similar to boston whaler classic but with a deeper v at the front, (not a race boat)
with cav plate 1 inch above bottom I can put in gear and rev engine to 6300 no problem and no bite Grrrrrr.

I can get higher top end with a omc 13x19 sst, that gives me 2mph more at the same 5900 rom top end.

so that's why I was thinking a raker to get the front up.
I have since fitted larger carbs to make my engine a 70hp and hopefully get about another 400rpm from it.
mine is longshaft with 2.42 large gearbox.

I have a omc 12 3/4 x 23 alloy prop that I can run at 5700 and it bites and holeshot is very good, but that prop gives bad slip at max rpms, due to
being a OMC cheapo cruiser type prop. but shows that my engine has enough guts to pull a 23 pitch prop from the off.

any idea's are welcome, my jackplate is not a fully adjustable, its home made effort .

PostPosted: December 5th, 2015, 12:47 pm   
Team Member

I have DAH worked 23SRX and a 24 Raker. Both carry the bow and go the same speed on my 16 Baja with 115 HO Etec. I know I'd sell the 23 and I might sell the 24.

PostPosted: December 16th, 2015, 3:14 pm   

I already have the same srx prop. no good for lifting the bow, its a semi cleaver prop, meant to lift the back end.
I need a prop with a lot of rake, that's why I am looking for a Raker over here.
the postage on a prop from Canada would be crazy going by what it cost for a set of carbs recently.
plus I also have to pay duty "unless its my own prop being returned to me " :roll: :!: .

PostPosted: December 18th, 2015, 10:39 pm   
Team Member

There are SRX props and there are DAH SRX props. I bet my 16' Baja is a bigger heavier boat than you are running and my 23 SRX carries the bow. I think my SRX has as much lift as my Raker. It seems that way driving solo. Maybe the SRX would not carry people as well.

I won't know until May if the Raker is staying or going.

You should phone the guys at DAH and talk to them. Maybe getting your prop worked is the best option.

Around $145 Cdn (about 70 lb) to mail from here to there.

PostPosted: December 19th, 2015, 10:20 pm   

your e-tec is heavier than my 70hp, but your boat is lighter than mine.
I have about 30% more wetted are than your boat, yet mine is only 13ft long.
ive had the same hull you have years ago, totally different type of boat to what I have.
and semi cleavers are not bow lifters, they lift the stern, I need the highest rake possible.
my boat is like a shed compared to Baja/dateline /sidewinder hull..

PostPosted: December 21st, 2015, 9:42 pm   
Team Member

You could try a 4 blade Stiletto. I use a 17" as my ski prop. It will run a tick under 50 gps on the rev limiter, which works out to negative slip - ie the props are a bit tall for their rated pitch

https://dansdiscountprops.com/BuyNow/stiletto.cfm

Just to belabor the SRX. I don't think its a semi cleaver, rather just a run of the mill round ear. My two DAH worked SRX props just rolled onto a plane, with no cavitation. The first was on a 13' VooDoo/70HP Nissan. The second has been on my Baja with a 100 V4 and the current 115. Some other over hub props have given me the 5000 rpm wait to plane experience and some just roll onto a plane.