It is currently April 26th, 2024, 4:23 pm

Looking for light wieght bucket seat for new Critch

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 5th, 2016, 10:33 am   

I can have rays vinyl shop make me a slip cover with a padded cushion for day trips. Thanks for posting they look awesome!

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: February 5th, 2016, 10:43 am   
Team Member

I remember those days... Dunnville 2012 down the straights. Bang, Bang, Bang, Bang. I had an Allison seat cover that was nice for lake running, but I couldn't fit properly with my safety jacket and sat up too high for racing.

Don't get me wrong though, T Boat racing is a lot of fun, but running out front is highly recommended! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: February 5th, 2016, 11:38 am   
Team Member

Kev, here is a suggestion that has a lot of positives. The strong box in your Critchfield is narrow. In celled tunnel boats many racers make their own custom fitting seat out of foam. It is messy and you do need some friends to help you make it. You will need to install a back board in the boat. The position of it should be far enough back so you can have room for the foam in front of it. You mix the foam component liquids and put the mixture in the boat. Wear your safety gear, put a thin plastic sheet over the expanding foam.
Sit in the foam and position yourself in the boat it the best position you like for driving. The foam will conform to that exact shape and it firms up quickly. You will need friends to help you get out of the boat.
Result is the best fitting seat, way better that any other seat, the foam is flotation as well. Plus the foam dissolves away when you need to remove it.
For open style boats like a Delta you build a large, high sided fiberglass seat shell and make the seat the same way. One thing many racers dislike about Deltas and other open boats is the lack of side support. This solves that problem. Craig would not have fallen out when he hooked with this style of seat.

Last edited by Hounddog on February 5th, 2016, 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: February 5th, 2016, 1:41 pm   
Drag Racing Sponsor

Thanks for all the replies. Those ones that Murph makes look ideal. The plastic one from Summit looks alright too but shipping and $ conversion will make that well over double the price that's listed. I need an actual seat for the boat as I will be installing angle aluminum from front to back in the boat and everything will be adjustable and bolted to this. I already have all the mounting blocks glassed in to the boat. I will be able to move the seat or any of my rigging around. There is no floor in this boat. I PM'd Murph to see what he wants for a seat.

Kevin

19' Laser 380 Ray (Future Project)

PostPosted: February 5th, 2016, 1:52 pm   
Team Member

Hevi Kevi wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. Those ones that Murph makes look ideal. The plastic one from Summit looks alright too but shipping and $ conversion will make that well over double the price that's listed. I need an actual seat for the boat as I will be installing angle aluminum from front to back in the boat and everything will be adjustable and bolted to this. I already have all the mounting blocks glassed in to the boat. I will be able to move the seat or any of my rigging around. There is no floor in this boat. I PM'd Murph to see what he wants for a seat.

Kevin

I see your flying along with your rigging since I last saw the boat ! :lol:

PostPosted: February 5th, 2016, 4:09 pm   
Drag Racing Sponsor

LittleCharger wrote:
Hevi Kevi wrote:

Kevin

I see your flying along with your rigging since I last saw the boat ! :lol:

Yep, It's received about as much time from me as my sled has this winter :roll: I feel like I'm starting to have a problem with priorites...

19' Laser 380 Ray (Future Project)

PostPosted: February 5th, 2016, 6:49 pm   

Buckets for sale for sure.
Just working on making up some stock.
Have an upholstery guy designing up a removable cover.
Hoping that should be done soon.

PostPosted: February 5th, 2016, 7:53 pm   
Team Member

Murph, I've got an Allison liner you can test fit in yours and use as a template if you want.

PostPosted: February 5th, 2016, 8:13 pm   
Team Member

Murph wrote:
Buckets for sale for sure.
Just working on making up some stock.
Have an upholstery guy designing up a removable cover.
Hoping that should be done soon.

Make some light ones for the t guys lol