It is currently May 3rd, 2024, 4:15 am

Charger DL 18 windshield, hardware, advise.

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 21st, 2014, 11:38 pm   

I'm looking for some parts and some advise for my 1986 Charger DL 18.
I'm in need of a windshield and the hardware associated with it.
I also need seats (buckets and bench)
Bow bar

As far as advise I need to know where the gas tank is mounted in this model. There is a hole in the deck for what I assume is a fuel filler. I have seen several pics of these boats and I notice many have a filler spout located by the stern in front of the splashwell.

I picked up the hull on a trailer for a great deal. Any help and advise will be appreciated.

Thanks
Billy V.

If you ride like lightning, you crash like thunder!

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: January 22nd, 2014, 12:00 am   

Also looking for rub rail for this hull.

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2014, 8:33 am   
Team Member

1986 was a bad year for quality issues @ Charger. It was the first year they removed the full balsa core that had been in all previous model years - wish I had know that BEFORE I purchased one brand new. They really went cheap on build quality. There were a number of stress crack and gel coat issues and a number of boats had to go back to the factory to get repaired under warranty. Just make sure you check the hull and transom condition closely before you invest a lot of money to retrofit the boat with the new interior and accessories.

12' tinny - 9.9 merc

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2014, 8:59 am   
Team Member

Hydrostream Canada will make you some new plexi for the windshield, but it's a pretty pricy way to go. When I had mine, I was going to have the 2 pieces cut from my old template and do the finishing and install myself. If you can find someone to lend you a set, you can copy them. The metal joiner piece would have to fabricated - somehow.
As far as the gas tank - all the ones I've seen run properly have the tank in the back. I would try to position a tank between the knees. Putting in in the front might through off the balance.
As far as seats go - There are lots of options. Others might have some kicking around.

Murph is dealing with most of the same issues you are right now. PM him and see what he's up to. He's used to work for Charger and would be a good source of info.

Post some pics

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2014, 9:24 am   
HPBC PRESIDENT

Jeez I thought Dubber would be all over this lol. I'm know he replaced his windshield but I can't remember if he did it himself or had someone local to him make it. It's not a complex windshield to make if you have one to copy or the template.

My old boat (dubber's boat) had the tank in the bow and it ran properly lol. As we've learned a bit more setback will help carry the bow and in my opinion the bow tank has better slow/cruising speed manners...which is why I left it there when I rebuilt the boat. For all out top speed the rear tank MAY be easier to set up...maybe..

Seats...I know Mark at Tuff makes single buckets and so does STVbuilder on the site here. That will be the harder part I think if you don't have any of it to pattern...and when I say hard I mean expensive.

Rub rail can be bought at any marina. I did mine with a simple aluminum strip..and my SRV is the same. Simple and effective.

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2014, 12:17 pm   
Team Member

Call ray at tempest boat, he still builds them and has all the parts for them
416 606 5705

Profile Send private message WWW  
 PostPosted: January 22nd, 2014, 12:33 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

TopGun wrote:
Call ray at tempest boat, he still builds them and has all the parts for them
416 606 5705

Ya...that'd be a good place to start lol.

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2014, 1:58 pm   

Thanks for the quick respnonse and advise.

I'll call Ray at Tempest for sure.

I picked up the boat on a trailcraft roller trailer very cheap. The story is that the guy who owned it redid the gelcoat about 6 yrs ago, brought it home and parked it and never got to finish the project. So it sits with new paint, pinstripe and carpet... That's it.
So, as far as checking the hull condition, it looks mint. But, I know gel can hide a lot. I've done quite a bit of reading about the boat and suggestions on how to check the pad/core. It passed the jack test with a jack and 2x4 about 12" and 18" in front of the transom with no noticeable deflection.

I ask about gas tank location since my friends SK has a bow mounted tank.
I am looking to use this boat to ski, tube, wake board and cruise. This being said I do plan on hauling ass too but definitely not looking to set up a race boat or post stupid fast MPH.

I picked up an '89 Johnson 150 VRO with a 4" Powerlift manual jackplate. I got a crazy deal in Greenfield Massachusetts on a boat, motor, trailer deal. Again another project not finished. 19' Peterborough Satellite, galvanized EZ Loader trailer, and the Johnny for a song. Totally worth the drive. Stripped and scrapped the boat and came home. The engine runs like a clock. I've bypassed the VRO already. I don't mind mixing gas.

Well, I'm going to kick up some convo I general discussion as I have many questions that do not belong in this forum.

Thanks again and keep the advise/ resources coming

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2014, 8:49 pm   

Ya tempest will cut u a windshield for $350. Only clear or that yellowish Color. You cannot tint the plastic because of oxidization.

I took the originals that I have to plastic world and had them cut tinted black plexi. This looks much better and is cheaper..... But it's not all gravy cause the window cracks and breaks really easy. I was always bitching about people grabbing the windshield... But for $120 per set I stocked up. In hindsight it might be easier to get the real deal from tempest....

Happy to share the originals with you if you can wait till spring and I can get into the cottage garage..

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2014, 10:24 pm   
Team Member

Totally missed this! Yes I got a new windshield from tempest. It worked out and seem to recall it being around $350 or so. Tempest Boats is/was in the Caledon area. The one I bought is tinted (not clear or yellow but a light brown tint). I had to clean up the edges a bit with a belt sander but it is good to go now. It is lexsan, plexi doesn't bend so well without heat I don't think and yes it can crack. The lexsan just wrapped around. I had to drill new holes in the deck to line up with the holes on the windshield. Just gel in the old holes if the same thing were to happen.

Charger 18 DL, 2.6L Yamaha