It is currently March 28th, 2024, 8:15 pm

OLD FE Boat

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 29th, 2016, 1:47 pm   
Team Member

I am looking in my history file to find out who raced it. The CBF sticker is on the boat. Todd or Thom may have raced against one of these hulls. I agree this hull could be a joy to race after lap two in a T850 race and at 14 feet it could handle the 75 mph. We need a racer to get it!
The only one I can find is Jeremy Dunn , Tammy and a non racer had a blue, then yellow one with a cell, so this one is not it.

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: April 29th, 2016, 5:56 pm   
Team Member

A guy at work asked me about this boat today, but said it was in Selwyn?? This ad says closer to Ottawa. I'll have to ask tomorrow if he actually looked at it or not. Said it was at the same house as a red 14' Kennedy was (think Bogman picked that one up) and a small celled race boat with an SST motor.

PostPosted: April 30th, 2016, 3:40 pm   

well that boat dont have any pods on the hull that's for sure.
the bloke advertising it is not clued up on boats to say its shallow v.
and for 1000 dollars you just need to way up is it worth it for a complete restoration ? maybe yes.
he says the transom has been done, without pictorial evidence you would need to rip it out and check everything.

like I say he knows nothing to call that a shallow v boat, so what does he know about transoms ???
I bet the new grey carpet is just to hide a bodged up floor too.
if it had a brand new floor I would be showing that in a sale advert if possible.

personally I would be looking at that as a total strip and re-build and no way take his word for it.

PostPosted: May 1st, 2016, 7:48 pm   

Drove 4 hours one way to see the boat. The boat needs way more work then the owner mentions in the ad or talking to him.

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2016, 11:31 am   
Team Member

I have made several of those waste of time trips. Raceboats are different to most other boats.
From my experience here are some facts:
Most times you will never get the time and money you spend on it, out of it, when you sell it!
Most people buying one will make changes to it, spend money on it before they race it.
A lot of people buy one and sell it within a year.
A lot of people love the idea and dream of racing,but never race.
There is no middle value in a raceboat..they are either needing a lot of work or complete. The better buys are the complete ones. You always spend more than you plan fixing one.
Buying a winning boat enables you to win sooner.
Buying from someone you or others know is best.
Used is always used....new is better

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2016, 7:06 pm   

Hounddog wrote:
I have made several of those waste of time trips. Raceboats are different to most other boats.
From my experience here are some facts:
Most times you will never get the time and money you spend on it, out of it, when you sell it!
Most people buying one will make changes to it, spend money on it before they race it.
A lot of people buy one and sell it within a year.
A lot of people love the idea and dream of racing,but never race.
There is no middle value in a raceboat..they are either needing a lot of work or complete. The better buys are the complete ones. You always spend more than you plan fixing one.
Buying a winning boat enables you to win sooner.
Buying from someone you or others know is best.
Used is always used....new is better

You're very right about everything you said. We are no strangers to doing major work on boats but it was in need of more work then what our delta was. If anyone wants details of what the 14 x-calibur needs PM me. There is so much time into them by the time you finish it, there is no money to be made. The only way you could make anything is if the hull and most materials were free or dirt cheap. Its all a labour of love, so cost can go out the window sometimes haha