It is currently April 26th, 2024, 6:52 pm

My idea of 2015 Lake Racer rules

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 20  Next
 PostPosted: November 19th, 2014, 8:39 am   
Team Member

bmax wrote:
We are forced to volunteer for duties during all other races, why can't other racers be volunteered for the short time we get to run ???

Your right Dean that is the theory and that is the way it should operate...any positions that you need filled with volunteers should be on to the volunteer sheet that is filled out as part of registration. I know some of the positions you will want to pre-arrange starter etc.

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: November 19th, 2014, 9:17 am   
TORC VP

bmax wrote:
We are forced to volunteer for duties during all other races, why can't other racers be volunteered for the short time we get to run ???

The theory is that every racer volunteers through out the season. We are a club and can't afford to not use volunteers. There is a list of positions needed for all three drag classes at registration, it is first come first serve.

We are also working on a way to track who has volunteered and who has not, it is the sames guys every race who don't do a damn thing.

PostPosted: November 19th, 2014, 12:43 pm   
Team Member

Well from my experience at Dunnville I had asked to see the volunteer list for the drag slot and was rudely interrupted and shouted at saying there wasn't one and not to bother bringing it up. I then proceeded to mention that if anyone wanted to volunteer to come find me so I could understand who would be helping and what positions. . . . I was then told that I was not part of TORC and have no business asking. . .
Now I'm sure people were just busy or maybe misunderstood my reasoning .

I had made prior arrangements to have someone else run the starting boat so I could assist Ted and see how the boat was running for the Sunday. Sunday came around and I was critized for not doing the start boat when in fact it was prearranged. I don't have a boat there at all EVER and still do what I can when I can but there needs to be some common ground on what people help with and learn to help with to make it smoother for all involved at any given time for now and the future. It's not ever easy getting the quality help you need for any organization like the one that gives us all a place to race. Let's all try and remember that we have a place to race and to keep it going is a part we all can do easily , most times :)

Just my thoughts on hopefully making it a smoother show and in saying that it's gotten to be a relatively smooth operation now I think

Thanks to all of the racers.

2017 OGW Nitrous Shootout Champion
2016 OSCA True Street champion
2015 OSCA 8.90 2nd in Championship

..... just a little SBF at 8.39

PostPosted: November 19th, 2014, 2:29 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

That may be something to bring up at a meeting. There really is a 4th set during the day (the drag finals) and it seems to get "forgotten". There's clearly a list of duties/volunteers for the circle racing so maybe there needs to be a request made (formally) to have specific drag duties listed as well...then they cannot be ignored on race day. T Class had some similar teething problems as well...its a bit of a struggle but it'll come around. I'll volunteer for ramp duty lol.

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: November 21st, 2014, 12:31 am   

It's great to see that everybody is engaged and actively discussing ways to continue to improve the TORC drags. Thinking "big picture" we're really lucky to have this in Canada. I watched IHBA-style rope racing wither and die out in BC (home for me) almost 20 years ago. That's partly why I really like helping TORC make a go of it.

A few thoughts for you guys based on my experience as a start boat volunteer (I've done it quite few times now - 4 days I think over 2013 and 2014).

- You don't want just anybody running the ladder. As in, you can't just peer-pressure some hydro guy to do it. It takes a fair bit of attention to detail, some drag knowledge, and quick thinking to not screw up (which I admit I did once in 2013) and keep it reasonably efficient. It took a few times before I was comfortable running the ladder - be careful just tossing somebody into that.

- The start boat driver/helper could be just about anybody, but the starter needs to be pretty sharp too in order to pair everybody as best as possible. Most importantly, they all need to work as a team. Geiger, Kev, Mark, Dan, Yammer, and Adam have all been great to work with. Can't we find enough friends/relatives of drag folks to continue like this ?

- Jeff is absolutely correct that you need 3 people on that boat.

- If you add scales/weighing you need MORE volunteers and MORE control over the pits for that to work right. The last thing we need is some kid wandering into the weighing area while a boat is on the hook. We have essentially no control over the drag "pits" now, that's already kind of an insurance issue.

- There's no way that we should do triple elimination. I can't imagine how complicated the ladder would get. If people just want to make more passes to race a particular buddy it would be easy to accommodate a few "exhibition passes" that were pre-arranged grudge matches.

All that being said, I'm more than happy to do start boat for Gravenhurt and Dunville in 2014.

Matt

PostPosted: November 21st, 2014, 5:51 pm   
User Requested 1 Month Ban - Denied

Matt for Starter Boat Boss has my vote :mrgreen: Hands down you have be one the key volunteers that make all this work :D Sometimes it can be a thankless job so here is my thank you for your help and your continued effort to see the 2015 season go smoothly.
PayPal sent ;)

PostPosted: November 26th, 2014, 9:02 pm   

Hey Matt that's great that you can do both races on the start barge. Thank you sir.

Well boy's, i got weighed today. Boat, trailer, motor, cockpit cover and a little bit of snow/sludge = 2134 lbs.

No clue on the trailer weight yet but i'm guessing around 300??? anyone have a rough idea, 2X4 steel frame, single axle and SS mags.

If 300 lbs =1834. Add my weight =1959 LOL.

1959 - 1550 = 409 lbs

The only way i can see losing 400 lbs is to loose the motor and go nuclear power HaHa.

Hope i'm really wrong on the trailer weight guess... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: November 26th, 2014, 9:15 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

The trailer will be more like 600lbs

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: November 26th, 2014, 9:42 pm   
User Requested 1 Month Ban - Denied

Or he has the heavest Euro on the planet :mrgreen:

PostPosted: November 26th, 2014, 9:43 pm   
Team Member

As per the man who knows his share of trailers. . . I'd say a minimum of 600lbs Dean.

2017 OGW Nitrous Shootout Champion
2016 OSCA True Street champion
2015 OSCA 8.90 2nd in Championship

..... just a little SBF at 8.39

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 20  Next