It is currently May 3rd, 2024, 1:40 am

FORMULA boats

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 PostPosted: April 15th, 2014, 10:04 pm   

1 I Bandit wrote:
BoomerMuskoka wrote:
idvette wrote:
I don't see any ruling on jackplates at all. I did, however, overlook the "full interior installed". I'm thinking about doing seating bulkheads instead of a floor, and centre steer. Would that bump me up a class? I'm early enough to make changes lol

you can still do what you wanted to your boat but will need two front seats one behind the driver. i cant commit untill the day before but i am working on a few boats . if i have something ready :oops: im in for gravenhurst . i will volunteer my efforts to help get idvettes vision and 1eyebandits stvs ready also.

Thanks Boomer if I do anything to help you with your boats please let me know and Idvette you too :)
Did you get your prop Boomer that looked like a great drag prop!

we'll see if it runs good, its at idvettes still, i haven't seen it yet. that things getting around :lol:

19' tempest picklefork 84 mod vpcarb 102mph

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: April 15th, 2014, 10:04 pm   

1 I Bandit wrote:
BoomerMuskoka wrote:
idvette wrote:
I don't see any ruling on jackplates at all. I did, however, overlook the "full interior installed". I'm thinking about doing seating bulkheads instead of a floor, and centre steer. Would that bump me up a class? I'm early enough to make changes lol

you can still do what you wanted to your boat but will need two front seats one behind the driver. i cant commit untill the day before but i am working on a few boats . if i have something ready :oops: im in for gravenhurst . i will volunteer my efforts to help get idvettes vision and 1eyebandits stvs ready also.

Thanks Boomer if I do anything to help you with your boats please let me know and Idvette you too :)
Did you get your prop Boomer that looked like a great drag prop!

we'll see if it runs good, its at idvettes still, i haven't seen it yet. that things getting around :lol:

19' tempest picklefork 84 mod vpcarb 102mph

PostPosted: April 21st, 2014, 12:00 pm   
Team Member

1st and 2cnd in total year end points will be each getting one of the amazing trim indicators from Palmerston Machine & Tool.

See post : viewtopic.php?f=51&t=2111

Thank you
Jeff

2017 OGW Nitrous Shootout Champion
2016 OSCA True Street champion
2015 OSCA 8.90 2nd in Championship

..... just a little SBF at 8.39

PostPosted: June 19th, 2014, 7:44 pm   

Jeff Yammer wrote:
Is there any actual interest from people willing to fully commit to this class ?

Thank you
Jeff

Being one who has never raced or even attended a boat racing event as a spectator I’ll try to provide some insight into one of the things that likely keeps the formula class dormant; This class would likely be made up of a lot of newer or first time racers and fear of the unknown keeps newbies away!
Provide some clarity for these people as to exactly what happens during a day of racing, dumb it right down, step by simple step.. Here are some ideas to start;
-What specific safety gear do I need?
-What exactly does my boat need with regards to safety equipment?
-Do I need insurance?
-What if I show up alone?
-Who deals with trailers?
-How exactly does the starting line work?
-What happens when I win/lose each race? Do I run again immediately? Do I float around for a couple hours watching everyone race or do I go back on trailer between each race? If I get beat once or twice is my day over in the first half hour? How much seat time would I get?
-Will I be competitive with common chopper or thru hub props like trophy etc? Or do I have to spend $$$ on drag specific props?
-When I’m on the water how do I communicate with officials? Radios/hand signals/bbm?

These are just some questions off the top of my head that I think would be asked, I’m sure there are many more very basic questions out there that the experienced guys don’t even think of because they already know! Newbies should add to these questions, experienced racers can then answer, you will wind up with a great FAQ sheet for anyone interested in trying racing but fearing the unknown! Knowledge=Confidence! This could be posted on all the boating forums, CBF, TORC sites etc. There are many out there who read but do not post on these sites that would be interested I'm sure.
That being said I plan to attend Gravenhurst on Saturday as a spectator and I own boats that could be raced in Formula and LR, I’m sure I won’t be the only one in the crowd who left potential raceboats at home.. (mine are still winterized unfortunately) If there is a PA system maybe get some of this stuff out in the air anytime there is going to be dead air; capture these potential racers when you have them standing in front of you!

PostPosted: June 19th, 2014, 10:20 pm   

Good questions Garth...stop by and say Hi (white with blue stripe STV) and will certainly try to fill in some blanks for you. Looking forward :)

Profile Send private message WWW  
 PostPosted: June 20th, 2014, 9:31 am   

Thanks Anthony; I do know the answers to some of these questions already, attending gravenhurst and meeting people like you I'm sure will answer the rest. What I'm getting at is this info needs to be made public as there are so few events for potential racers to check out and find out this stuff first hand. Look forward to meeting!

PostPosted: June 20th, 2014, 5:58 pm   

Hey Guys
Got a chance today try the Charger STV with the 24p chopper on it seems to be not bad blows out a bit on launch but as best as I can tell getting around 65-70 MPH at the end of 800 ft. The camp across the bay from me has a water ski course and if it is set up right it should be 850 ft so I have been using it to test with today. I will need to borrow a proper life jacket tomorrow anybody have a large or extra large that they would be willing to lend me?

PostPosted: June 23rd, 2014, 7:23 pm   

Hey Guys
Just wanted to say a BIG THANK YOU to everybody at the races this weekend for making my first real racing experience so enjoyable. It was great to meet everybody and thank you to the the Lake Racer guys for letting me use their life jackets. Thank you to the sponsors and Jeff Yammer and Northbase for their work organizing the drag racing sorry if I missed anybody. Big thank you to Boomer's mobile VW marine for letting me use his prop and drag plate. Great event and had a great time can't wait for Dunnville :)

PostPosted: June 24th, 2014, 7:06 pm   
User Requested 1 Month Ban - Denied

Yes a big thank you too Boomer's VW Mobile Marine Service for helping out Mark 1I Bandit and for giving me a Drag 4 prop too run on Sunday and some laughs :mrgreen:
Really happy some of the Formula Guyz had enough ball too show up and run and the other first timers in Lake Racer too :mrgreen: ... Great racing all around...

PostPosted: June 25th, 2014, 1:41 pm   

Excellent to have you out Bandit...thx for having the courage to make the long haul and race...you put on a great show...and I love your boat...Hope to see you at Dunnville ;)

Profile Send private message WWW  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next