It is currently April 28th, 2024, 11:17 pm

Haliburton 2015

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 PostPosted: August 24th, 2015, 9:51 am   
Team Member

A big shout out to Jason Culp and Al Ray for giving up there entire weekend to help out. These guys don't race themselves but spend the entire day helping us race. Jason spent the entire weekend on the ramp launching drags, T's and plywood boats. Al Ray spent the entire weekend out in the boat he brought to bring in broken down boats. Events like this don't happen without guys like this.

This entire event wouldn't have happened without the efforts of Barb Hammond who spent countless hours organizing and raising sponsorship money all on here own.

Be sure to thank these people for their efforts next time you bump into them.

Jesse and I had a blast and it was great to catch up with old and new friends.

Cheers,

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: August 24th, 2015, 10:24 am   

Andrew4ce wrote:
allstock wrote:
Had a great time on Saturday! Seems like it's going to be a great venue. Turn out looked good. If I had a complaint it's that it went too long... The little boats seem to have WAY too many classes that spectators could care less about. Most Spectators were gone home by the time the drags started which was unfortunate. That's the nature of racing I suppose, "Hurry up and wait". Kudos to all the people who make these events happen, I know its a ton of work! I wish we could have made Sunday but it wasn't in the cards.

It did go way too long, some learning curves with the huge turn out, new event location, and crammed pits and launching space for 3 boats at time. Sunday was much better. Done at 5pm I think it was. If ya don't like the way circle races run though... No one stopping Drags from organizing their own event. The club members own businesses in that town, who put the race on, and raised thousands and thousands of dollars in that little town, and pulled off the biggest race in 25 years, and who race the little circle boats, will be glad to know the spectators could careless about them.

Whoa whoa don't get me wrong I love the plywood boats and always have, I'm happy to watch them all. Just relaying some of what I heard in the crowd. Didn't mean to offend and apologize if I did. I'm a boat enthusiast and have been attending events on and off for forty years, have family that raced back in the day and had a B stock runabout as a kid, believe me I get it. I'm not sure how to educate spectators who aren't enthusiasts however as to why there are so many similar boats running heat after heat. Perhaps some type of board with a rundown of boat size/type/basic engine specs/apx speed/etc? I should have worded my post differently to reflect that it was not my position but that of fans who came to see the races but were unfamiliar with how many different types and classes of boats were in attendance. To the untrained eye they all look very similar if not the same. I'm sorry if my wording was inappropriate.

PostPosted: August 24th, 2015, 10:33 am   
Team Member

I agree announcing and educating can be greatly improved. Other events were done better in this area this year... but they're learning. My opinion is events of this level need a knowledgeable, enthusiastic, and if doable, two person announcer team including talking to race winners and such. But all takes time and money and people.

Profile Send private message WWW  
 PostPosted: August 24th, 2015, 10:42 am   
Team Member

IF(little word, big meaning) we had some banners (do not have to be large, just info) at could have been mounted on the fence maybe that could of helped as announcers could have referred to them????

PostPosted: August 24th, 2015, 3:08 pm   
Team Member

The crowd at every event can always be informed better that's for sure. But programs take money.
That being said if a club wants to hold a race that has an audience it is to the benefit of that club or sanctioning body to inform it's viewers in hopes of attracting them back for another year.
I can promise that unless you understand the true difference in the classes ( some have the same boat ) then the average viewer won't understand and even more so ...... won't attempt to even have a respect for what they're watching.

But as said it takes money and it takes volunteers. Both of which TORC is always welcoming with open arms.

Seemed like a great turn out.

2017 OGW Nitrous Shootout Champion
2016 OSCA True Street champion
2015 OSCA 8.90 2nd in Championship

..... just a little SBF at 8.39

Last edited by Jeff Yammer on August 24th, 2015, 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: August 24th, 2015, 3:14 pm   

Jeff Yammer wrote:
The crowd at every event if been to always can be informed better that's for sure. But programs take money.
That being said if a club wants to hold a race that has an audience it is to the benefit of that club or sanctioning body to inform it's viewers in hopes of attracting them back for another year.
I can promise that unless you understand the true difference in the classes ( some have the same boat ) then the average viewer won't understand and even more so ...... won't attempt to even have a respect for what they're watching.

But as said it takes money and it takes volunteers. Both of which TORC is always welcoming with open arms.

Seemed like a great turn out.

Well put Jeff.

PostPosted: August 24th, 2015, 6:11 pm   

Awesome weekend. Great venue, good competition in all classes and great people!

PostPosted: August 24th, 2015, 6:15 pm   
User Requested 1 Month Ban - Denied

First off I want to thank the person or people for picking Hali for a race location and of course the whole town of Hali for being so inviting :D .
Met some super cool local boat guys with some super cool boats 8-) Nice little town with friendly people … Would like too do some running on their water ways… :mrgreen:

TORC and all of us could use a little improvement :)What doesn't ! As far as the format goes its fine but the drivers meeting :roll: , well it is way too long for me but it is necessary. If there was a schedule board or white board large enough for the racers to see their name or # and which classes are running and when could help both spectators and racers and might just speed things up as well give the spectators some idea of what is going on…

PostPosted: August 24th, 2015, 10:04 pm   

Big Thank You to the people from TROC, Barb Hammond, all the sponsors and the town of Haliburton for welcoming all of us into there town. What a great event and weekend kudos to all of you, well done and thank you again!!!

PostPosted: August 25th, 2015, 2:10 pm   

Thanks for the show to all who volunteered their time and the racers who put on a great show.

I had the pleasure of being on the starting barge during the drag races on Saturday. Helped out Jason with getting the racers organized into their respective lanes. Got some pretty cool videos via my iPhone too. Unfortunately my computer lacks 'horsepower' so I had to borrow my gf's mac to edit one clip together.

This is Greg during one of his last runs. I hope to put up a couple of more videos up once I get some more editing time.

https://youtu.be/C-kGAlPzIbI

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next